* Use of standard font engines on Linux
@ 2007-08-11 14:14 John R. Culleton
From: John R. Culleton @ 2007-08-11 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Linux distros have been emphasizing the use of the fonts in fc-cache
across applications. TeX always did its own thing, with tfm files,
mapping files  etc.   I note that some of the newer TeX products are
using  pfb + afm instead of pfb + tfm.  Does this presage the
availablity of all the fonts described in the fc-cache files or will
TeX continue to have its own set of fonts?
--
John Culleton
ATTN Publishers/authors:

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com

* Re: Use of standard font engines on Linux
@ 2007-08-11 15:49 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-11 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

John R. Culleton wrote:
> Linux distros have been emphasizing the use of the fonts in fc-cache
> across applications. TeX always did its own thing, with tfm files,
> mapping files  etc.   I note that some of the newer TeX products are
> using  pfb + afm instead of pfb + tfm.  Does this presage the
> availablity of all the fonts described in the fc-cache files or will
> TeX continue to have its own set of fonts?

i never looked into fc-cache things (mostly working on windows)

pdftex does not use databases, xetex does, and in luatex one can build
any kind of font database support; currently in mkiv i just build a
database based on osfontdir plus the usual paths; i can support other
'font resources as well' if needed

tfm files are very special to tex and not relevant for other apps (apart
from the fact that there can be tens of thousands of those metric files)

in mkiv there is support for otf/ttf/ttc, afm/pfb (i will implement an
alternative loader, the current one is afm driven, but we can also have
a pfb driven one) as well as ofm/tfm/ovf/vf metric files

there will always be tfm files but new fonts will be open type (lm,
gyre, etc)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE