From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: trouble generating mkiv format
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:37:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2007, at 22:40, luigi scarso wrote:
>
>> On 8/12/07, Hans van der Meer <hansm@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>>> After installing context aug9 and starting up luatex I get the
>>> following tex
>>> error on
>>> luatools --ini --compile --verbose cont-en

>>> )
>>> (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/regi-ini.tex
>>> (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/regi-ini.mkiv))
>>> (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/enco-ini.tex
>>> encoding : coding def is loaded
>>> (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/enco-def.tex
>>> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pool size=93529].
>>> \setvalue ...xpandafter \def \csname #1\endcsname
>>>
>>> <argument> ...aracterencoding \string cyrillicdze}
>>>                                                   {dze}
>>> \secondoftwoarguments #1#2->#2
>>>
>>> l.683 \definecharacter cyrillicdze    {dze}
>>> ... etc.
>>>
>>> However, my texmf.cnf has: pool_size = 1250000 (standard
>>> texlive2007 values)
>>>
>>> What is wrong?
>> Please, have a look at
>> can't find file `context.tex'
>> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/026438.html
>
> That seems another error to me. I do not see tex complaining of not
> finding context.tex as in the above mentioned problem.
>
>> In short:
>> don't mix texlive with mkiv;
>> use justtex.zip and linuxtex.zip
>
> Why is this? Cannot mkiv and texlive coexist in the same tree? I
> certainly hope that is not true, it would certainly make me refrain
> from using mkiv!

i see no real problem why they cannot coexist if only because luatex
will end up in tex live sooner or later

it't just that the current tex live does not ship with all the fonts
that we want to use in luatex

also, mkiv is not depending on anything in tex live, it uses files in
the base context tex path plus a few scripts (luatools and mtxrun)

the problems that you run into have to do with the fact that mkiv needs
a cache path for saving info (e.g. about fonts) and setting this up
right needs some experimentation and feedback from users; each
distribution and tex system is different it seems

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE