* font file size
@ 2007-08-13  0:42 zs
From: zs @ 2007-08-13  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

while getting context/luatex to work, I experiment with fonts.

I play with DejaVu fonts. I found that when I use DejaVuSerif.ttf I get
what I want, but when I use DejaVuSans.ttf context produces nothing.
It seems to process document without any error message and gives no
pdf.

I made some investigation and I guess it has something to do with file
size of the font (DejaVuSerif.ttf-242KB, DejaVuSans.ttf-557KB).
Result is the same for fonts from collection with similar size.
Conversions with fontforge do not help.

Is there any limit for size of font?
Any other possible reason why?

Thanks for suggestions.

ZS

* Re: font file size
@ 2007-08-13  5:49 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-08-13  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there any limit for size of font?
no.
Can you write down your steps for installation, so I can reproduce the
problem on my box?
--
luigi

* Re: font file size
@ 2007-08-13  8:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-13  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

zs wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> while getting context/luatex to work, I experiment with fonts.
>
> I play with DejaVu fonts. I found that when I use DejaVuSerif.ttf I get
> what I want, but when I use DejaVuSans.ttf context produces nothing.
> It seems to process document without any error message and gives no
> pdf.
>
> I made some investigation and I guess it has something to do with file
> size of the font (DejaVuSerif.ttf-242KB, DejaVuSans.ttf-557KB).
> Result is the same for fonts from collection with similar size.
> Conversions with fontforge do not help.
>

> Is there any limit for size of font?
> Any other possible reason why?

% engine=luatex

\def\testfont#1%
   {\blank
    \hbox \bgroup
      {\tttf#1:}
      {\tttf      \font\test=#1*default   \test effe fietsen 1234}
      {\tttf (sc) \font\test=#1*smallcaps \test effe fietsen 1234}
      {\tttf (os) \font\test=#1*oldstyle  \test effe fietsen 1234}
    \egroup
    \blank}

\starttext

% \testfont{dejavusans}
% \testfont{dejavusansboldoblique}
% \testfont{dejavusanscondensed}
% \testfont{dejavusanscondensedboldoblique}
% \testfont{dejavusanscondensedoblique}
% \testfont{dejavusansextralight}
% \testfont{dejavusansmono}
% \testfont{dejavusansmonobold}
% \testfont{dejavusansmonoboldoblique}
% \testfont{dejavusansmonooblique}
% \testfont{dejavusansoblique}
\testfont{dejavuserif}
% \testfont{dejavuserifbolditalic}
\testfont{dejavuserifcondensed}
% \testfont{dejavuserifcondensedbolditalic}
% \testfont{dejavuserifcondenseditalic}
% \testfont{dejavuserifitalic}

\stoptext

only a few fonts seem to be okay, some crash luatex, some are not loaded

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: font file size
@ 2007-08-13  8:14   ` zs
From: zs @ 2007-08-13  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:49:17 +0200
"luigi scarso" <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is there any limit for size of font?
> no.
> Can you write down your steps for installation, so I can reproduce the
> problem on my box?

1)   mkdir /usr/local/context && cp justtex.zip linuxtex.zip /usr/local/context
2)   cd  /usr/local/context && unzip justtex.zip && unzip linuxtex.zip
3)   add line to "setuptex" (TMP=~./context_tmp)
4)   cd ./tex && sh setuptex
5)   set PATH variable to have this on first place: /usr/local/context/tex/texmf-linux/bin
6)   mktexlsr&& luatools --generate && texmfstart texexec --make --all --luatex
7)   export TEXMFCACHE='/tmp' && export TEXMFCNF='/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-local/web2c' && export
TEXMF='{/usr/local/context/tex/texmf,/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-local,/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-linux,/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-fonts,/usr/local/context/tex/texmf-extra}'
8)   copy latin modern fonts from lm.zip to /usr/local/context/tex/texmf-local/fonts/
9)   luatools --generate && luatools --ini --compile --verbose cont-en

file "experiment.tex":
% file start
\starttext

Hello world!

Krásně–žluťoučký kůň. % utf8 test

\stoptext
% file end

make pdf:
texmfstart texexec --luatex experiment.tex
...works fine

Let's play with fonts, file "experiment.tex":
% file start
\starttypescript [sans] [franklin]

\definefontsynonym [DejaVuSanss]            [name:djva] [features=default]
\definefontsynonym [DejaVuSans-Bold]        [name:djva] [features=default]
\definefontsynonym [DejaVuSans-Oblique]     [name:djva] [features=default]
\definefontsynonym [DejaVuSans-BoldOblique] [name:djva] [features=default]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [franklin]

     \definefontsynonym [Sans]            [DejaVuSanss]            [features=default]
     \definefontsynonym [SansItalic]      [DejaVuSans-Oblique]     [features=default]
     \definefontsynonym [SansBold]        [DejaVuSans-Bold]        [features=default]
     \definefontsynonym [SansBoldItalic]  [DejaVuSans-BoldOblique] [features=default]
     \definefontsynonym [SansSlanted]     [DejaVuSans-Oblique]     [features=default]
     \definefontsynonym [SansBoldSlanted] [DejaVuSans-BoldOblique] [features=default]
     \definefontsynonym [SansCaps]        [DejaVuSanss]            [features=smallcaps]

\stoptypescript

\definetypeface[franklin][rm][serif][modern][default]
\definetypeface[franklin][ss][sans][franklin][default]
\definetypeface[franklin][tt][mono][modern]  [default][rscale=1.12]
\definetypeface[franklin][mm][math][iwona]   [default][rscale=1.02]

\setupbodyfont[franklin,ss,10pt]

\starttext

Hello world!

Krásně–žluťoučký kůň.

\stoptext
% file end

Before processing above source, copy font files from dejavu collection
(http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dejavu/dejavu-ttf-2.19.tar.bz2?download)

cp
DejaVuSerif.ttf /usr/local/context/tex/texmf-local/fonts/truetype/public/dejavu/djva.ttf
mktexlsr && luatools --generate
texmfstart texexec --luatex experiment.tex
... works fine

This doesn't work:
cp DejaVuSans.ttf /usr/local/context/tex/texmf-local/fonts/truetype/public/dejavu/djvb.ttf

Change font name in experiment.tex from djva to djvb.
mktexlsr && luatools --generate
texmfstart texexec --luatex experiment.tex
... gives nothing - no error, no pdf

* Re: font file size
@ 2007-08-13  9:39     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-13  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

zs wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:08:51 +0200
> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> only a few fonts seem to be okay, some crash luatex, some are not
>> loaded
>

> You mean some fonts are somewhat bad or luatex can't handle them?

luatex cannot load them (or even crashes) i.e. the fontforge 2 reader
cannot read them; maybe the fonts are invalid

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: font file size
@ 2007-08-13  9:43   ` zs
From: zs @ 2007-08-13  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2007-08-13  9:57       ` zs
From: zs @ 2007-08-13  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:39:40 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> luatex cannot load them (or even crashes) i.e. the fontforge 2 reader
> cannot read them; maybe the fonts are invalid

Recent version of fontforge(20070723) can read DejaVuSans.ttf without
any trouble. I also tried to tranform it to *.otf using  fontforge - no
problem. Older version(200703??) worked too.

ZS

* Re: font file size
@ 2007-08-13 11:07         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-13 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

zs wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:39:40 +0200
> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> luatex cannot load them (or even crashes) i.e. the fontforge 2 reader
>> cannot read them; maybe the fonts are invalid
>

> Recent version of fontforge(20070723) can read DejaVuSans.ttf without
> any trouble. I also tried to tranform it to *.otf using  fontforge - no
> problem. Older version(200703??) worked too.

then taco needs to look into it, maybe there's a problem with the loader

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE