* Re: MetaFont
       [not found] <mailman.925.1187183670.2346.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-08-16  9:59 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2007-08-16  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> > But this does massivly restrict metafonts capabilities. Pens for
> > example are not allowed (Metafont with applied handbrake)!
>
> I agree, metatype1 is not very easy to use if you are familiar
> with
> metafont already. For existing fonts, mf2pt1 is in general the
> best
> approach, I think. There is a (patched?) version out there that
> delegates most the hard work to fontforge, and it's results are
> normally
> quite acceptable.

There was once (1990) an article in TUGboat 11:4, pages 525-541
which discribes an patch to mf84. The patched mf could produce type3
fonts. Should'nt it be possible to do the same for type1?

Wolfgang

* Re: MetaFont
@ 2007-08-16 12:48   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-08-16 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
>>> But this does massivly restrict metafonts capabilities. Pens for
>>> example are not allowed (Metafont with applied handbrake)!
>> I agree, metatype1 is not very easy to use if you are familiar
>> with
>> metafont already. For existing fonts, mf2pt1 is in general the
>> best
>> approach, I think. There is a (patched?) version out there that
>> delegates most the hard work to fontforge, and it's results are
>> normally
>> quite acceptable.
>
> There was once (1990) an article in TUGboat 11:4, pages 525-541
> which discribes an patch to mf84. The patched mf could produce type3
> fonts. Should'nt it be possible to do the same for type1?

Not without a lot of effort. Type3 fonts allow all sorts of stuff
that is illegal in Type1, like overlapping and mixing of strokes
and fills.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: MetaFont
       [not found] <mailman.999.1187335227.2346.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-08-17 20:53 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2007-08-17 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> for
> >> I agree, metatype1 is not very easy to use if you are familiar
> >> with
> >> metafont already. For existing fonts, mf2pt1 is in general the
> >> best
> >> approach, I think. There is a (patched?) version out there that
> >> delegates most the hard work to fontforge, and it's results are
> >> normally
> >> quite acceptable.
> >
> > There was once (1990) an article in TUGboat 11:4, pages 525-541
> > which discribes an patch to mf84. The patched mf could produce
> type3
> > fonts. Should'nt it be possible to do the same for type1?
>
> Not without a lot of effort. Type3 fonts allow all sorts of stuff
> that is illegal in Type1, like overlapping and mixing of strokes
> and fills.

The cases where fontforge is refusing, are cases which are best
handeld inside metafont, where one has the knowledge: a.) elliptical
curves, which are represented by polygons (lots of points and
resolution depandend) and should converted to something smoother, and
b.) short epicycles, which are also artifacts from penmotions, which
can easyly be detected and replaced by an corner point.

Wolfgang

* Re: MetaFont
@ 2007-08-15 11:39   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-08-15 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found] <mailman.916.1187162110.2346.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-08-15 10:45 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2007-08-15 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> > Has anybody ever tried to rewrite metafont to produce type1
> fonts?
>
> Yes. The Gyre project is using an extended Metapost to generate
> Type1
> and OTF fonts.
>
> Best
>    Martin

That's MetaType1?

@ 2007-08-15  1:09   ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2007-08-15  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found] <mailman.859.1187098055.2346.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-08-15  0:10 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2007-08-15  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> >> I am still using MetaFont typefaces.
> >> Will too LuaTeX support MetaFont as PdfTeX does?
>
> Yes (as Hans and Martin said already). But you really should
> consider switching to outline fonts.

I am looking for a good way to convert these fonts to type1, but
textrace and mftrace don't run under windows and the results of
mf2pt1 are not (yet) ok. I am working on this.

@ 2007-08-14 11:06   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-08-14 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-08-13 11:23   ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2007-08-13 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/8/13, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
> as long as you use tfm files and have proper map entries

"Pixel fonts can be used without being listed in the map file."

Best
   Martin

* Re: MetaFont
@ 2007-08-13 11:18 ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2007-08-13 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/8/13, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini <wwl@musensturm.de>:
> I am still using MetaFont typefaces.
> Will too LuaTeX support MetaFont as PdfTeX does?

Of course. It's still TeX. :-)

Best
   Martin

* Re: MetaFont
@ 2007-08-13 11:18 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-08-13 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I am still using MetaFont typefaces.
> Will too LuaTeX support MetaFont as PdfTeX does?

as long as you use tfm files and have proper map entries

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* MetaFont