* ConTeXt possibilities
       [not found] ` <46BCDF45.6060707@wxs.nl>
@ 2007-08-20  9:58   ` Istvan Hollerbach
From: Istvan Hollerbach @ 2007-08-20  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Everybody,

My name is Istvan Hollerbach. I am still looking at ConTeXt. Are usable
with ConTeXt only modules found at http://modules.contextgarden.net/, or
which usable are with plain TeX as well? I think of xypic for example.
Can I write a document for example in Sanskrit? Being a beginner, of
course I will neither use xypic for a some length of time, nor I will
write a document in Sanskrit. I am only interested in possibilities
compared to LaTeX.

Best regards,
Istvan Hollerbach

@ 2007-08-20 13:53   ` Istvan Hollerbach
From: Istvan Hollerbach @ 2007-08-20 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Everybody,

My name is Istvan Hollerbach. I am still looking at ConTeXt. Are usable
with ConTeXt only modules found at http://modules.contextgarden.net/, or
which usable are with plain TeX as well? I think of xypic for example.
Can I write a document for example in Sanskrit? Being a beginner, of
course I will neither use xypic for a some length of time, nor I will
write a document in Sanskrit. I am only interested in possibilities
compared to LaTeX.

I write this mail again, because I have changed the reply-to.

Best regards,
Istvan Hollerbach

* Re: ConTeXt possibilities
@ 2007-08-20 14:45     ` Xan
From: Xan @ 2007-08-20 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

En/na Istvan Hollerbach ha escrit:
> Dear Everybody,
>
> My name is Istvan Hollerbach. I am still looking at ConTeXt. Are usable
> with ConTeXt only modules found at http://modules.contextgarden.net/, or
> which usable are with plain TeX as well? I think of xypic for example.
> Can I write a document for example in Sanskrit? Being a beginner, of
> course I will neither use xypic for a some length of time, nor I will
> write a document in Sanskrit. I am only interested in possibilities
> compared to LaTeX.
>
> I write this mail again, because I have changed the reply-to.

I'm interested too

Xan.

> Best regards,
> Istvan Hollerbach

* Re: ConTeXt possibilities
@ 2007-08-20 15:10     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-08-20 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Istvan Hollerbach wrote:

> Dear Everybody,
>
> My name is Istvan Hollerbach. I am still looking at ConTeXt. Are usable
> with ConTeXt only modules found at http://modules.contextgarden.net/, or
> which usable are with plain TeX as well?

Most of the modules avaialbe at modules.coontextgarden.net are usuable
only with Context. However, most macros for plain tex work with
context.

> I think of xypic for example.
> Can I write a document for example in Sanskrit? Being a beginner, of
> course I will neither use xypic for a some length of time, nor I will
> write a document in Sanskrit. I am only interested in possibilities
> compared to LaTeX.

In principle, since latex and context are both build on top of tex
engine, anything that is possible in one is also possible in the
other. However, it does take some effort to port the functionality of
one from the other.

In general, with regards to packages, most latex packages enhance the
capabilities of built in latex environments. With context, the built
in environments were designed with flexibility in mind and are easy to
change. So you do not need external packages.

Most latex font packages are useless for context. You will need to
write your own typescripts if you want to use the fonts in context. In
most cases this is simple. For non-latin languages like Sanskrit, you
will need to do some work if you want to get it working with ConTeXt.
Traditionally, non-latin languages worked using transcription. So you
write something in latin alphabet, run a program which translates it
into something else, and then run tex over that file. This is how the
devnag package for latex works. But now, with xetex and luatex, you do
not need to do this. You can type in unicode and rest of it just
works. I had tried using Hindi (a modern day offshoot of Sanskrit)
using XeTeX (the XeTeX website has an example), and changed the markup
to ConTeXt and it worked. It should be similar with Sanskrit, and
other languages like languages from the Arabic family.

For special purpose packages like xypic, if the package has an option
for plain tex (like xypic, pictex, pstricks, pgf, and many more), it
also works with ConTeXt. If it is not plain tex compatible, then you
will have to port it to ConTeXt. In some cases this can be difficult.
So, if there is a esoteric, domain specific, package that you must
have, make sure that there is something comparable in context before
making the shift. If you are not sure, ask here.

Aditya

* Re: ConTeXt possibilities
@ 2007-08-20 15:46       ` Istvan Hollerbach
From: Istvan Hollerbach @ 2007-08-20 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)