* Learning ConTeXt
@ 2007-08-20 10:24 Istvan Hollerbach
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Istvan Hollerbach @ 2007-08-20 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Everybody,

I want to learn ConTeXt, but 'cont-enp.pdf' and 'mp-cb-en.pdf' do not
explain many things in detail, for example the parameters of command
\setuplayout on the page 24 of cont-enp.pdf. Or am I careless? How shall
I start to learn? And how shall I go on learning?

Best regards,
Istvan Hollerbach

* Re: Learning ConTeXt
@ 2007-08-20 11:42 ` Liesbeth van der Plas
From: Liesbeth van der Plas @ 2007-08-20 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I included an example context file from Sanjoy Mahajan.

Best regards,
Liesbeth van der Plas

2007/8/20, Istvan Hollerbach <hollerbi@gmail.com>:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> I want to learn ConTeXt, but 'cont-enp.pdf' and 'mp-cb-en.pdf' do not
> explain many things in detail, for example the parameters of command
> \setuplayout on the page 24 of cont-enp.pdf. Or am I careless? How shall
> I start to learn? And how shall I go on learning?
>
> Best regards,
> Istvan Hollerbach

liesbethvanderplas@gmail.com
www.wiskunde-interactief.nl

[-- Attachment #2: simpel.tex --]

* Re: Learning ConTeXt
@ 2007-08-20 11:48 ` Saji Njarackalazhikam Hameed
From: Saji Njarackalazhikam Hameed @ 2007-08-20 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Istvan,

For somebody used to LaTeX, it may be useful to check up

http://www.berenddeboer.net/tex/

there is an article about doing similar things in LaTeX and
ConTeXt.

The options relevant to all ConTeXt commands are provided towards the
end of cont-en?.pdf

Perhaps mp-cb-en.pdf should be read first. I started out doing regular
stuff such as formatting tables, sections, columns and the like. For
more detailed control, it may be better to dwelve into some of the
more specialized manuals archived at context.pragma.de

The following website also may be of interest to you:

http://levana.de/context/

And then there is the wiki:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net

I think the best way to learn is by trying to make the document you want
in ConTeXt and asking questions to the mailing list when you cannot figure out
how to do it.

hope it helps,

saji

* Istvan Hollerbach <hollerbi@gmail.com> [2007-08-20 12:24:04 +0200]:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> I want to learn ConTeXt, but 'cont-enp.pdf' and 'mp-cb-en.pdf' do not
> explain many things in detail, for example the parameters of command
> \setuplayout on the page 24 of cont-enp.pdf. Or am I careless? How shall
> I start to learn? And how shall I go on learning?
>
> Best regards,
> Istvan Hollerbach

Saji N. Hameed

APEC Climate Center          				+82 51 668 7470
National Pension Corporation Busan Building 12F
Yeonsan 2-dong, Yeonje-gu, BUSAN 611705			saji@apcc21.net
KOREA

* Re: Learning ConTeXt
@ 2007-08-20 13:52   ` George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2007-08-20 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/20/07, Saji Njarackalazhikam Hameed <saji@apcc21.net> wrote:

> [...]
> And then there is the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net

Highly recommended.

> I think the best way to learn is by trying to make the document you want
> in ConTeXt and asking questions to the mailing list when you cannot figure out
> how to do it.

Another strategy is to find a document that can serve as a template for
what you need.   The wiki provides examples of fragments to do a particular
task, and there are lots of examples of complete documents available,
including the pdftex manual and various slide presentations.

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

* Re: Learning ConTeXt
@ 2007-08-20 15:16 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-08-20 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Istvan Hollerbach wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> I want to learn ConTeXt, but 'cont-enp.pdf' and 'mp-cb-en.pdf' do not
> explain many things in detail, for example the parameters of command
> \setuplayout on the page 24 of cont-enp.pdf. Or am I careless? How shall
> I start to learn? And how shall I go on learning?

Specifically for page layout, you may find Paul Tremblay's tutorial
page useful.
http://getfo.org/context_xml/index.html

It is about using xml, but does explains the context's page layout
terminology in detail.

http://getfo.org/context_xml/page3.html

Aditya

* Re: Learning ConTeXt
@ 2007-08-20 20:00   ` Istvan Hollerbach
From: Istvan Hollerbach @ 2007-08-20 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Aditya,

I found that page yesterday and saved all the document.

Istvan