* How to process simple HTML files with LuaTeX
@ 2007-09-13 13:04 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-09-13 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I was trying to figure out how to process simple HTML files with the
new code, but I fail to understand the details. Here's a simple file I
would like to process:

<head>
	<title>My first HTML2ConTeXt</title>
</head>
	<h1>Main Title</h1>
	<h2>Subtitle</h2>
	<h1>Second title</h1>

And the failed tries here:

% engine=luatex
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuphead[subject][style=bfa,color=blue]
\setuphead[subsubject][style=tfa,color=blue]

\starttext
\xmlload{main}{test.html}{}
\xmlgrab{main}{h1}{h1}
\xmlgrab{main}{h2}{h2}

\startxmlsetups h1
\subject{H1: #1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups h2
\subsubject{H2: #1}
\stopxmlsetups

How to grab only the title out of here?

\xmlfilter{main}{html/head/title}

\xmlflush{main}
\stoptext

Any hints most wellcome.

Thank a lot,
     Mojca

* Re: How to process simple HTML files with LuaTeX
@ 2007-09-13 22:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-13 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to figure out how to process simple HTML files with the
> new code, but I fail to understand the details. Here's a simple file I
> would like to process:

> <head>
> 	<title>My first HTML2ConTeXt</title>
> </head>
> 	<h1>Main Title</h1>
> 	<h2>Subtitle</h2>
> 	<h1>Second title</h1>
>
> And the failed tries here:
>
> % engine=luatex
> \setupcolors[state=start]
> \setuphead[subject][style=bfa,color=blue]
> \setuphead[subsubject][style=tfa,color=blue]
>
> \starttext
> \xmlload{main}{test.html}{}
> \xmlgrab{main}{h1}{h1}
> \xmlgrab{main}{h2}{h2}
>
> \startxmlsetups h1
> \subject{H1: #1}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups h2
> \subsubject{H2: #1}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> How to grab only the title out of here?
>
> \xmlfilter{main}{html/head/title}
>
> \xmlflush{main}
> \stoptext
>
> Any hints most wellcome.

keep in mind that this is still somewhat experimental

% best define mappings before loading the file

\startxmlsetups all:html
     \xmlsetsetup{main}{head|h1|h2}{*}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{all:html}

% register this so that it's done for each load

\startxmlsetups h1
     \subject{\xmlflush{#1}}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups h2
     \subsubject{\xmlflush{#1}}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups head
     \startstandardmakeup
         THIS IS ABOUT: \xmlfilter{main}{/head/title/text()}
     \stopstandardmakeup
\stopxmlsetups

% that's it

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuphead[subject][style=\bfd,color=blue]
\setuphead[subsubject][style=\bfc,color=blue]

\starttext

\xmlprocess{main}{test.html}{}

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-09-14 13:46   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-09-14 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/14/07, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was trying to figure out how to process simple HTML files with the
> > new code, but I fail to understand the details. Here's a simple file I
> > would like to process:
> >
> keep in mind that this is still somewhat experimental

Sure :)
That's why I'm sending files for testing :) :) :)

> % best define mappings before loading the file
>
> \startxmlsetups all:html
>      \xmlsetsetup{main}{head|h1|h2}{*}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \xmlregistersetup{all:html}
>
> % register this so that it's done for each load
>
> \startxmlsetups h1
>      \subject{\xmlflush{#1}}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups h2
>      \subsubject{\xmlflush{#1}}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups head
>      \startstandardmakeup
>          THIS IS ABOUT: \xmlfilter{main}{/head/title/text()}
>      \stopstandardmakeup
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> % that's it
>

> \setupcolors[state=start]
> \setuphead[subject][style=\bfd,color=blue]
> \setuphead[subsubject][style=\bfc,color=blue]
>
> \starttext
>
> \xmlprocess{main}{test.html}{}
>
> \stoptext

Great! This works perfect and seems much easier to write than the old
code, though I still have no idea how to implement some parts of it:
- where to plug in the entities such as &nbsp;, &le;, ...
- how to catch classes: how to differentiate between <h1>title</h1>
and <h1 class="...">title</h1>
- and some more - there are some simple examples in the attachment
(too long to copy-paste)

Thanks again,
    Mojca

[-- Attachment #2: frogs.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: frogs.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 1628 bytes --]

* Re: How to process simple HTML files with LuaTeX
@ 2007-09-14 14:19     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-14 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Great! This works perfect and seems much easier to write than the old
> code, though I still have no idea how to implement some parts of it:
> - where to plug in the entities such as &nbsp;, &le;, ...

\xmlutfize{main}

or just load the regular entity handlers (mkii still works and can be
used mixed)

> - how to catch classes: how to differentiate between <h1>title</h1>
> and <h1 class="...">title</h1>
> - and some more - there are some simple examples in the attachment
> (too long to copy-paste)

\doifelse {\xmlatt{#1}{class}} {whatever} {
	dothis
} {
	dothat
}

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-09-14 14:26     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-14 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 9/14/07, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I was trying to figure out how to process simple HTML files with the
>>> new code, but I fail to understand the details. Here's a simple file I
>>> would like to process:
>>>
>> keep in mind that this is still somewhat experimental
>
> Sure :)
> That's why I'm sending files for testing :) :) :)

- i'll make a table mapper (need it anyway), cals tables are already
provided

- idem for preformatted and verbatim

- your code:

d[k] = dk:gsub("&nbsp;",' ')
dk = d[k]
d[k] = dk:gsub("&le;", '\\mathematics{\\le}')

local dk = d[k]
dk = dk:gsub("&nbsp;",' ')
dk = dk:gsub("&le;", '\\mathematics{\\le}')
d[k] = dk

or ....

mojcasentities = {
	nbsp = " ",
	le   = "'\\mathematics{\\le}'
}

local d[k]= d[k]:gsub("&(.-);",mojcasentities)

(there probably already is code for that)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-09-16 10:29       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-09-16 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/14/07, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> > Great! This works perfect and seems much easier to write than the old
> > code, though I still have no idea how to implement some parts of it:
> > - where to plug in the entities such as &nbsp;, &le;, ...
>
> \xmlutfize{main}

Thanks. I saw it, but had no idea how to use it. I need to test more
extensively ... :)

> > - how to catch classes: how to differentiate between <h1>title</h1>
> > and <h1 class="...">title</h1>
> > - and some more - there are some simple examples in the attachment
> > (too long to copy-paste)
>
> \doifelse {\xmlatt{#1}{class}} {whatever} {
>         dothis
> } {
>         dothat
> }

I have tried exactly that before, but this example fails to work for
me, or I don't know how to apply it:

% test.html

  <h1>Title 1</h1>
  <h1 class="different">Title 2</h1>

% test.tex

\startxmlsetups all:html
    \xmlsetsetup{main}{h1}{*}
\stopxmlsetups
\xmlregistersetup{all:html}

\startxmlsetups h1
This title belongs to class (\xmlatt{#1}{class}): \xmlflush{#1}.\par
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext
\xmlprocess{main}{test.html}{}
\stoptext

Class always comes out empty.

Thanks a lot,

@ 2007-09-16 10:31       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-09-16 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/14/07, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> >> keep in mind that this is still somewhat experimental
> >
> > Sure :)
> > That's why I'm sending files for testing :) :) :)
>
> - i'll make a table mapper (need it anyway), cals tables are already
> provided
>
> - idem for preformatted and verbatim

Thanks a lot. I'm waiting patiently :)

> - your code:
>
> d[k] = dk:gsub("&nbsp;",' ')
> dk = d[k]
> d[k] = dk:gsub("&le;", '\\mathematics{\\le}')
>
> local dk = d[k]
> dk = dk:gsub("&nbsp;",' ')
> dk = dk:gsub("&le;", '\\mathematics{\\le}')
> d[k] = dk
>
> or ....
>
> mojcasentities = {
>         nbsp = " ",
>         le   = "'\\mathematics{\\le}'
> }
>
> local d[k]= d[k]:gsub("&(.-);",mojcasentities)

Thanks a lot!

> (there probably already is code for that)

Yes, I saw it, but didn't try to understand what the &(.-) serves for.
In any case, that was the wrong place to replace le with something.

@ 2007-09-16 18:07         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-09-16 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On 9/14/07, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>> mojcasentities = {
>>         nbsp = " ",
>>         le   = "'\\mathematics{\\le}'
>> }
>>
>> local d[k]= d[k]:gsub("&(.-);",mojcasentities)
>
> Yes, I saw it, but didn't try to understand what the &(.-) serves for.

(Caveat: I do not really know lua regex, and have not tried out the
code)

Assuming lua follows standard regex syntax, this means

& # The letter &
( # start a group
. # any character
- # As few as needed
) # end group
; # the letter ;

so this will match all entities.

If it helps, the equivalent vim regex will be
\&\(.\{-}\);

I guess that $1 (the first group, that is everything that matches .-)
will be compared with mojcaentities table and replaced accordingly.
This looks like a really nice feature of lua. In Ruby and Vim, I often
find myself writing a bunch of similar regex, and always wished there
was something like what lua does.

Aditya

* Re: How to process simple HTML files with LuaTeX
@ 2007-09-16 21:55         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-16 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I have tried exactly that before, but this example fails to work for
> me, or I don't know how to apply it:

i rewrote the parser (both xml and semi-xpath) so it may have been
broken, i'll upload a new beta tomorrow

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-09-16 21:58           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-16 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> (Caveat: I do not really know lua regex, and have not tried out the
> code)

they are not regexp but expressions -)

> Assuming lua follows standard regex syntax, this means
>
> & # The letter &
> ( # start a group
> .. # any character
> - # As few as needed
> ) # end group
> ; # the letter ;
>
> so this will match all entities.

just &(.-); with () being the capture

> If it helps, the equivalent vim regex will be
> \&\(.\{-}\);
>
> I guess that $1 (the first group, that is everything that matches .-)

%1

> will be compared with mojcaentities table and replaced accordingly.

indeed

> This looks like a really nice feature of lua. In Ruby and Vim, I often
> find myself writing a bunch of similar regex, and always wished there
> was something like what lua does.

the nice thing about many lua feature is that less code (lua c code)
behaves more powerful

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-10-02  3:17           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-10-02  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/16/07, Hans Hagen wrote:

> i rewrote the parser (both xml and semi-xpath) so it may have been
> broken, i'll upload a new beta tomorrow

Hello Hans,

Thanks a lot for fixing the issue with non-working \xmlatt.

Now, I'm still slightly lost regarding two issues:
- How to remove unneeded space? With \ignorespaces?
- How to use the new verbatim code? I have tried to use
    \xmlsetfunction{main}{pre}{lxml.verbatim}
  but it didn't really work.

% test.tex:
\startxmlsetups all:html
	\xmlsetsetup{main}{h1|pre}{*}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{all:html}

% is this the proper way?
\startxmlsetups h1
	\subject{\ignorespaces\xmlflush{#1}}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups pre
	{\bgroup\tt\obeylines\xmlflush{#1}\egroup}
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext
\xmlprocess{main}{test.html}{}
\stoptext

% test.html
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<h1>
How to get rid of this spacing in some elegant way?
</h1>

<pre>
and
some source
c@de
</pre>

Also, this fails because of the empty line: