* Completelistoffigures, help needed!
@ 2007-09-22 18:56 G.C.H.M. Verhaag
From: G.C.H.M. Verhaag @ 2007-09-22 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear ConTeXt Users,

Last week I posted a completelistoffigures question, but unfortunately
nobody responded to it! That's why I give it another try, because I
don't know how to tackle this problem.

I'd like to generate a list of figures that only have a caption
description, but no figure  (\setupcaptions[...,number=no,....]) number.

Using the setupcaptions command in the preamble with the number=no
option yields only the title Figures of the list of figures, nothing
more! However, when I change the number option of the setupcaptions
command to yes, the list is generated correctly. But I don't want a
figure number to appear in the caption of a figure! The figures appear
throughout a book I'm currently writing using ConTeXt.

Is there a way to accomplish the desired effect using the
completelistoffigures command?

Please can anybody give a hint! Thanks!

Regards,
   Gerard

* Re: Completelistoffigures, help needed!
@ 2007-09-23 11:00 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-09-23 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:56:33 +0200
"G.C.H.M. Verhaag" <verhaaggchm@ision.nl> wrote:

> Dear ConTeXt Users,
>
> Last week I posted a completelistoffigures question, but unfortunately
> nobody responded to it! That's why I give it another try, because I
> don't know how to tackle this problem.
>
> I'd like to generate a list of figures that only have a caption
> description, but no figure  (\setupcaptions[...,number=no,....]) number.
>
> Using the setupcaptions command in the preamble with the number=no
> option yields only the title Figures of the list of figures, nothing
> more! However, when I change the number option of the setupcaptions
> command to yes, the list is generated correctly. But I don't want a
> figure number to appear in the caption of a figure! The figures appear
> throughout a book I'm currently writing using ConTeXt.
>
> Is there a way to accomplish the desired effect using the
> completelistoffigures command?
>
> Please can anybody give a hint! Thanks!
>
> Regards,
>    Gerard

Hi Gerard,

you can use the following method, it is very dirty but it works and
give you what you want.

\setupcaption[figure][distance=\zeropoint]
\defineconversion[gobble][\gobbleoneargument]
\setupnumber[figure][conversion=gobble]
\setuplabeltext[figure=]

\starttext
\completelistoffigures
\page
\placefigure{First Figure}{\blackrule[width=4cm,height=2cm]}
\placefigure{Second Figure}{\blackrule[width=3cm,height=5cm]}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Completelistoffigures, help needed!
@ 2007-09-23 18:24   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-09-23 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 05:00:39 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> you can use the following method, it is very dirty but it works and
> give you what you want.
>
> \setupcaption[figure][distance=\zeropoint]
> \defineconversion[gobble][\gobbleoneargument]
> \setupnumber[figure][conversion=gobble]
> \setuplabeltext[figure=]
>
> \starttext
> \completelistoffigures
> \page
> \placefigure{First Figure}{\blackrule[width=4cm,height=2cm]}
> \placefigure{Second Figure}{\blackrule[width=3cm,height=5cm]}
> \stoptext

Ah.. our stalwart gangster Wolfgang, always the master of dirty tricks. If
we ever finish The ConTeXtbook you'll have to do Appendix~D ;-)

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Completelistoffigures, help needed!
@ 2007-09-23 18:43     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-23 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 05:00:39 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> you can use the following method, it is very dirty but it works and
>> give you what you want.
>>
>> \setupcaption[figure][distance=\zeropoint]
>> \defineconversion[gobble][\gobbleoneargument]
>> \setupnumber[figure][conversion=gobble]
>> \setuplabeltext[figure=]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \completelistoffigures
>> \page
>> \placefigure{First Figure}{\blackrule[width=4cm,height=2cm]}
>> \placefigure{Second Figure}{\blackrule[width=3cm,height=5cm]}
>> \stoptext
>
> Ah.. our stalwart gangster Wolfgang, always the master of dirty tricks. If
> we ever finish The ConTeXtbook you'll have to do Appendix~D ;-)

well, this is a valid dirty trick because the conversion interface is
not likely to change (for wolfgang: there is a predefined 'empty'
conversion for this purpose, introduced not that long ago, so maybe not
present everywhere)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-23 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> Ah.. our stalwart gangster Wolfgang, always the master of dirty tricks. If
> we ever finish The ConTeXtbook you'll have to do Appendix~D ;-)

talking of that book ... how are you progressing?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-09-23 18:52       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-09-23 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 12:43:50 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> talking of that book ... how are you progressing?

working on the funding angle right now (never easy and no guarantees), but
I suspect that once mkiv is relatively complete (another 18 months or so?)
we'll be in a better position to write that book.

Best wishes
Idris

--

@ 2007-09-28 18:02 ` G.C.H.M. Verhaag
From: G.C.H.M. Verhaag @ 2007-09-28 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Dear ConTeXt Users,

Thanks to those that contributed to this thread! The code

\setupcaption[figure][distance=\zeropoint]
\defineconversion[gobble][\gobbleoneargument]
\setupnumber[figure][conversion=gobble]
\setuplabeltext[figure=]

just did the trick, but I don't understand why! Maybe I shouldn't bother
at the moment! By the way, am I right in saying that the interaction
feature of the list doesn't work when using this trick?

Well, I've one more question related to the list of figures.
Is there a way to truncate a long caption to a maximum of just no more
than a fraction of the length of a textline and indicate the truncation
by for example a few dots (...)?
Something like:

A very long figure caption truncated just here...
                             pagenumber

Regards,
 Gerard

--
Geert C.H.M. Verhaag
St. Jorisstraat 29

Tel.: +31-(0)774742493, E-mail: verhaaggchm@ision.nl

* Re: Completelistoffigures, help needed!
@ 2007-09-28 21:10   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-09-28 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

G.C.H.M. Verhaag schrieb:
>   Dear ConTeXt Users,
>
> Thanks to those that contributed to this thread! The code
>
> \setupcaption[figure][distance=\zeropoint]
> \defineconversion[gobble][\gobbleoneargument]
> \setupnumber[figure][conversion=gobble]
> \setuplabeltext[figure=]
>
> just did the trick, but I don't understand why! Maybe I shouldn't bother
> at the moment! By the way, am I right in saying that the interaction
> feature of the list doesn't work when using this trick?
>
> Well, I've one more question related to the list of figures.
> Is there a way to truncate a long caption to a maximum of just no more
> than a fraction of the length of a textline and indicate the truncation
> by for example a few dots (...)?
> Something like:
>
> A very long figure caption truncated just here...
>                              pagenumber

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Cropping_text

Best wishes, Peter

@ 2007-09-30  8:49     ` G.C.H.M. Verhaag
From: G.C.H.M. Verhaag @ 2007-09-30  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:

>>http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Cropping_text
>>
>>Best wishes, Peter

The link to the wiki gives indeed a clear description of the cropping
feature. Just great, it works nicely when applying it to my list of
figures! Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Gerard