* luatex
@ 2007-10-23 12:33 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-10-23 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

at the risk of sounding rude or impatient: I'd love to know when new
releases of luatex and ConTeXt mkiv can be expected. The latest
luatex trunk has some problems (no ligatures, hyphenation flaky) and
doesn't work with some of my fonts. Latest ConTeXt beta only works
with trunk of luatex. Hans mentioned some fundamental changes in
luatex, so I was just wondering.

Thanks!

Thomas

* Re: luatex
@ 2007-10-23 14:49 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-10-23 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> at the risk of sounding rude or impatient: I'd love to know when new
> releases of luatex and ConTeXt mkiv can be expected. The latest
> luatex trunk has some problems (no ligatures, hyphenation flaky) and
> doesn't work with some of my fonts. Latest ConTeXt beta only works
> with trunk of luatex. Hans mentioned some fundamental changes in
> luatex, so I was just wondering.

later this week there will be a new beta

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: luatex
@ 2007-10-25 15:55   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2007-10-25 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tuesday 23 October 2007 10:49:44 am Hans Hagen wrote:
> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > at the risk of sounding rude or impatient: I'd love to know when new
> > releases of luatex and ConTeXt mkiv can be expected. The latest
> > luatex trunk has some problems (no ligatures, hyphenation flaky) and
> > doesn't work with some of my fonts. Latest ConTeXt beta only works
> > with trunk of luatex. Hans mentioned some fundamental changes in
> > luatex, so I was just wondering.
>
> later this week there will be a new beta
>
> Hans

What will a luatex based Context do for us that the current stable Context
doesn't?

--
John Culleton
Precision Typesetting

* Re: luatex
@ 2007-10-25 16:10     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-10-25 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Culleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 October 2007 10:49:44 am Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> at the risk of sounding rude or impatient: I'd love to know when new
>>> releases of luatex and ConTeXt mkiv can be expected. The latest
>>> luatex trunk has some problems (no ligatures, hyphenation flaky) and
>>> doesn't work with some of my fonts. Latest ConTeXt beta only works
>>> with trunk of luatex. Hans mentioned some fundamental changes in
>>> luatex, so I was just wondering.
>> later this week there will be a new beta
>>
>> Hans
>
> What will a luatex based Context do for us that the current stable Context
> doesn't?

open type to start with, robustly grouped features, better and more
robust spacing some day soon, more efficient and flexible xml, a new
sectioning implementation, instant metapost processing (next year), and
much more; eventually fundamental new features will only be written for
luatex and pdftex (traditional tex) will be frozen.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: luatex
@ 2007-10-25 19:04       ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2007-10-25 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 25 October 2007 12:10:24 pm Hans Hagen wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:

> >> later this week there will be a new beta
> >>
> >> Hans
> >
> > What will a luatex based Context do for us that the current stable
> > Context doesn't?
>
> open type to start with, robustly grouped features, better and more
> robust spacing some day soon, more efficient and flexible xml, a new
> sectioning implementation, instant metapost processing (next year), and
> much more; eventually fundamental new features will only be written for
> luatex and pdftex (traditional tex) will be frozen.
>
> Hans

In my further exploration I came across another product, toally unrelated,
dealing with spreadsheets.  with the name of luatex.   Is the name luatex a
trademark?  Lua is apparently.

See:
www.luatex.com
--
John Culleton
Want to know what I really think?

* Re: luatex
@ 2007-10-25 19:21         ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2007-10-25 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In my further exploration I came across another product, toally unrelated,
> dealing with spreadsheets.  with the name of luatex.

  Yes, this was mentioned at the ConTeXt meeting last spring.  It's a
bit frustrating, sure, but ...

  Interestingly enough, this other luatex is to be parsed Lua / t / eX
because the last two letters stand for Excel.  And the normative
spelling is LuateX with an uppercase X :-)

>                                                        Is the name luatex a
> trademark?

  Not that I know of.  I don't think there would be any benefit to it,
though.  Recall that the name TEX itself---all uppercase---was a
trademark since a couple of years by the time TeX was created.  Who
remembers this typesetting system by the Honeywell company today?

	Arthur

* Re: luatex
@ 2007-10-26 11:01           ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2007-10-26 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/10/25, Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org>:
>   Not that I know of.  I don't think there would be any benefit to it,
> though.  Recall that the name TEX itself---all uppercase---was a
> trademark since a couple of years by the time TeX was created.  Who
> remembers this typesetting system by the Honeywell company today?

Which is why "TeX" was never a real TM, just a "claimed" TM (according
to bnb, who should know).

Still luatex.com should have a pointer to luatex.org :-)

Best
   Martin

* Re: luatex
@ 2007-10-26 11:21             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-10-26 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/26/07, Martin Schröder wrote:

> Still luatex.com should have a pointer to luatex.org :-)

And vice versa :-)

Mojca

* Re: luatex
@ 2007-10-26 12:23             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-10-26 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Still luatex.com should have a pointer to luatex.org :-)
I think it's better don't mixed things.
For example:
Latex Allergy Support Group
http://www.lasg.co.uk

Wikipedia can always help.
--
luigi

* Re: luatex
@ 2007-10-26 17:14     ` Renaud Aubin
From: Renaud Aubin @ 2007-10-26 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

For my particular case:
1. embed u3d models within a pdf without piping to an external script to
compute the view (see http://www.nibua-r.org/ConTeXt/devel/new3dartwork/),
2. the ability to use lua script leads to potential interaction with
MySQL (it could be great for me but I need to verify it's possible).

Cheers

John Culleton a écrit :
> What will a luatex based Context do for us that the current stable Context
> doesn't?

[-- Attachment #2: aubin.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Renaud AUBIN
n:AUBIN;Renaud
email;internet:aubin@nibua-r.org
url:http://www.nibua-r.org
version:2.1
end:vcard

* luatex
@ 2018-08-28 16:06 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2018-08-28 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

We're in the process of pushing a new luatex binary to the garden. It
might be that context and luatex are out of sync (version checking
stuff) but all will be well in a while.

Hans

* Re: luatex
@ 2017-10-30 20:05 ` Henri
From: Henri @ 2017-10-30 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Are there any implications for the LuaJIT support?

LuaJIT is quite a bit faster than Lua which is why I always typeset my documents using luajittex.

On Mon, 2017-10-30 at 17:26 +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Luigi and I are currently looking into Lua 5.3 in combination with
> LuaTeX. We have an experimental setup and all seems to work well, which
> given the new number model of Lua is good news. Depending on how we
> compile the binaries we either gain some speed or in the worst case
> loose half the performance but that will be sorted out one of these days
> as we know where to look.
>
> For most users the consequences will be minimal but for those who use a
> lot of Lua it makes sense to keep an eye on the subtle differences
> between 5.2 and 5.3 which is why I post this.
>
> For TeXLive we don't expect the switch before 2019 (so 2018 will ship
> two binaries with the 5.2 one the official one) but for the context
> distribution we will make the switch earlier so that we can test in real
> situations.
>
> Hans

* Re: luatex
@ 2017-10-30 17:57 ` massi
From: massi @ 2017-10-30 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Luigi and I are currently looking into Lua 5.3 in combination with
> LuaTeX. We have an experimental setup and all seems to work well,
> which
> given the new number model of Lua is good news. Depending on how we
> compile the binaries we either gain some speed or in the worst case
> loose half the performance but that will be sorted out one of these
> days
> as we know where to look.

Does the integer subtype give significant performance gains when you
can use integers instead of floats?

What are the main reasons for the switch?

* luatex
@ 2017-10-30 16:26 Hans Hagen