* Female sign in Context
@ 2007-10-26 21:36 Maurí­cio
From: Maurí­cio @ 2007-10-26 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

How do I type the female sign (ª)
in Context?

Thanks,
Maurício

* Re: Female sign in Context
@ 2007-10-27  7:30 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-10-27  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maurí­cio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I type the female sign (ª)
> in Context?

Depends a bit on your font setup.

In mkiv and xetex and pdftex with texnansi font encoding and
in xml input, just type ª.

If that doesn't work, there is the macro \ordfeminine

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Female sign in Context
@ 2007-10-27  8:05   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-10-27  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:30:49 +0200
Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Maurí­cio wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I type the female sign (ª)
> > in Context?
>
> Depends a bit on your font setup.
>
> In mkiv and xetex and pdftex with texnansi font encoding and
> in xml input, just type ª.
>
> If that doesn't work, there is the macro \ordfeminine

Are you sure this should work, both of them give me different symbols
(dependent on the font encoding) but no female sign.

The martin vogel symbolset did also contain the symbols but you have to
define this symbols by yourself because the file in ConTeXt did not
contain it or to be more concret the Venus symbol, which should be
according to the unicode chart also the female symbol did not look very
pleasant to me for this purpose.

I defined now two extra symbols for the male and the female symbols.

\usesymbols[mvs]

\startsymbolset [gender]

\definesymbol[Male]  [\MartinVogelSymbol{124}]
\definesymbol[Female][\MartinVogelSymbol{126}]

\stopsymbolset
\starttext

\symbol[gender][Male]
\symbol[gender][Female]

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Female sign in Context
@ 2007-10-27  9:30     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-10-27  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:30:49 +0200
> Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>
>> Maurí­cio wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> How do I type the female sign (ª)
>>> in Context?
>> Depends a bit on your font setup.
>>
>> In mkiv and xetex and pdftex with texnansi font encoding and
>> in xml input, just type ª.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, there is the macro \ordfeminine
>
> Are you sure this should work, both of them give me different symbols
> (dependent on the font encoding) but no female sign.

The ª (U+00AA)and º (U+00BA) indicate grammatical gender of a number, as
in 1ª Edición. The ♀ (U+2640) and ♂ (U+2642) indicate either biological
gender (or the planets venus and mars).

The 'standard' ConTeXt for these four is:

   \ordfeminine
   \ordmasculine

   \usesymbols[was]
   \symbol[wasy general][female]
   \symbol[wasy general][male]

But the minimals don't contain the wasysym font, so it makes sense
to add your two definitions to symb-mvs.tex, with the added benefit
that it is loaded automatically. And I think it would be nice to be
able to key in \female  and \male directly, so:

   \startsymbolset [gender]

   \definesymbol[Male]  [\MartinVogelSymbol{124}]
   \definesymbol[Female][\MartinVogelSymbol{126}]

   \stopsymbolset

   \startencoding[default]

   \definecharacter female {\symbol[gender][Female]}
   \definecharacter male   {\symbol[gender][Male]}

   \stopencoding

Hans, is that ok?

Best wishes,
Taco