* extended dictionary / hyphenation patterns
@ 2007-12-11 13:52 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-12-11 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I guess German is famous for its monstrous compound words ;o(

So I have a manually collected lists of hyphenation patterns (like
"\hyphenation{Selbst-kon-troll-ein-rich-tung}").
This I'd like to keep as a two separate files: on for usage with the
body-text set in \mainlanguage[deo] and one for \mainlanguage[de].

Is there a handy way to automatically assign and include one of these
files (HyPold and HyPnew) to the usage of the respective \mainlanguage
[deo] and [de] ?

Steffen

* Re: extended dictionary / hyphenation patterns
@ 2007-12-11 15:16 ` Hans Hagen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-11 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess German is famous for its monstrous compound words ;o(
>
> So I have a manually collected lists of hyphenation patterns (like
> "\hyphenation{Selbst-kon-troll-ein-rich-tung}").
> This I'd like to keep as a two separate files: on for usage with the
> body-text set in \mainlanguage[deo] and one for \mainlanguage[de].
>
> Is there a handy way to automatically assign and include one of these
> files (HyPold and HyPnew) to the usage of the respective \mainlanguage
> [deo] and [de] ?

you can copy them to lang-de.hyp

of just :

\mainlangage[de] \input yourfile.tex

in mkiv i will provide options for multiple files (runtime)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-12-12 10:50   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-12-12 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.12.2007 um 16:16 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I guess German is famous for its monstrous compound words ;o(
>>
>> So I have a manually collected lists of hyphenation patterns (like
>> "\hyphenation{Selbst-kon-troll-ein-rich-tung}").
>> This I'd like to keep as a two separate files: on for usage with the
>> body-text set in \mainlanguage[deo] and one for \mainlanguage[de].
>>
>> Is there a handy way to automatically assign and include one of these
>> files (HyPold and HyPnew) to the usage of the respective
>> \mainlanguage
>> [deo] and [de] ?
>
> you can copy them to lang-de.hyp
>
> of just :
>

> \mainlangage[de] \input yourfile.tex

is there [with mkii] a better / more economical way to write those
yourfile.tex collections than

\hyphenation{Selbst-kon-troll-ein-rich-tung}
\hyphenation{Selbst-kon-troll-ein-rich-tun-gen}
\hyphenation{Be-triebs-prü-fung}
\hyphenation{Be-triebs-prü-fun-gen}
\hyphenation{Teil-as-pek-te}
\hyphenation{Teil-as-pek-ten}

??

@ 2007-12-12 10:53     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-12-12 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> is there [with mkii] a better / more economical way to write those
> yourfile.tex collections than
>
> \hyphenation{Selbst-kon-troll-ein-rich-tung}
> \hyphenation{Selbst-kon-troll-ein-rich-tun-gen}
> \hyphenation{Be-triebs-prü-fung}
> \hyphenation{Be-triebs-prü-fun-gen}
> \hyphenation{Teil-as-pek-te}
> \hyphenation{Teil-as-pek-ten}

You can delete 5 of the commands and 10 of the braces can be replaced
by 5 spaces, but that's it.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: extended dictionary / hyphenation patterns
@ 2007-12-12 12:17   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-12-12 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.12.2007 um 16:16 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I guess German is famous for its monstrous compound words ;o(
>>
>> So I have a manually collected lists of hyphenation patterns (like
>> "\hyphenation{Selbst-kon-troll-ein-rich-tung}").
>> This I'd like to keep as a two separate files: on for usage with the
>> body-text set in \mainlanguage[deo] and one for \mainlanguage[de].
>>
>> Is there a handy way to automatically assign and include one of these
>> files (HyPold and HyPnew) to the usage of the respective
>> \mainlanguage
>> [deo] and [de] ?
>
> you can copy them to lang-de.hyp
>
> of just :
>

> \mainlangage[de] \input yourfile.tex

Thanks Taco...

\hyphenation{
Selbst-kon-troll-ein-rich-tung
Selbst-kon-troll-ein-rich-tun-gen
Be-triebs-prü-fung
Be-triebs-prü-fun-gen
Teil-as-pek-te
Teil-as-pek-ten
}

... but this works only when included in a specific "component" but
not for an entire project.
When \hyphenation{...} is written in the environment file it doesn't
work (same for writing \mainlangage[de] \input MyCompound.tex in the
environment file).

???

@ 2007-12-12 13:31   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-12-12 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.12.2007 um 16:16 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I guess German is famous for its monstrous compound words ;o(
>>
>> So I have a manually collected lists of hyphenation patterns (like
>> "\hyphenation{Selbst-kon-troll-ein-rich-tung}").
>> This I'd like to keep as a two separate files: on for usage with the
>> body-text set in \mainlanguage[deo] and one for \mainlanguage[de].
>>
>> Is there a handy way to automatically assign and include one of these
>> files (HyPold and HyPnew) to the usage of the respective
>> \mainlanguage
>> [deo] and [de] ?
>
> you can copy them to lang-de.hyp

this looks like a clean way (assigns automatically with the chosen
\mainlanguage).

by default lang-de.hyp is empty ... does this indicate that it is
actually meant for user entries?

@ 2007-12-12 14:26     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-12 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Am 11.12.2007 um 16:16 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I guess German is famous for its monstrous compound words ;o(
>>>
>>> So I have a manually collected lists of hyphenation patterns (like
>>> "\hyphenation{Selbst-kon-troll-ein-rich-tung}").
>>> This I'd like to keep as a two separate files: on for usage with the
>>> body-text set in \mainlanguage[deo] and one for \mainlanguage[de].
>>>
>>> Is there a handy way to automatically assign and include one of these
>>> files (HyPold and HyPnew) to the usage of the respective
>>> \mainlanguage
>>> [deo] and [de] ?
>> you can copy them to lang-de.hyp
>

> this looks like a clean way (assigns automatically with the chosen
> \mainlanguage).
>
> by default lang-de.hyp is empty ... does this indicate that it is
> actually meant for user entries?

no, it means that the german patterns are perfect -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-12-12 16:53       ` Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2007-12-12 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

>>> you can copy them to lang-de.hyp
>>

>> this looks like a clean way (assigns automatically with the chosen
>> \mainlanguage).
>>
>> by default lang-de.hyp is empty ... does this indicate that it is
>> actually meant for user entries?
>
> no, it means that the german patterns are perfect -)
>
> Hans

Will luatex go the standard TeX hyphenation way or will you try to do it
better? Especially for german the hyphenation based on those patterns
does not work very well (btw the same is true for british english). My
dream would be to see a solution where we have main/prefered break
points and optional break points (of course we will never find a
solution for everything, like semantically different words but with same
orthography) ...

btw another question: will luatex interpret ligature rules which are
language specific? At least from otf fonts?

Ulrich

* Re: extended dictionary / hyphenation patterns
@ 2007-12-12 19:35         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-12-12 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/12/07, Ulrich Dirr wrote:
> btw another question: will luatex interpret ligature rules which are
> language specific? At least from otf fonts?

LuaTeX (MK IV, not plain LuaTeX) will pass the language to the font
automatically (lang=DEU for \mainlanguage[de] for example).
Unfortunately most fonts are too "stupid" to make use of that
information, but the general answer is yes, I guess.

Mojca

* Re: extended dictionary / hyphenation patterns
@ 2007-12-12 21:29         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-12 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ulrich Dirr wrote:

> btw another question: will luatex interpret ligature rules which are
> language specific? At least from otf fonts?

is already supported

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE