* color expansion at runtime
@ 2007-12-14 16:57 Peter Rolf
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-12-14 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I desperately need runtime defined colors (state dependent) for my
macros. The macros are used with different graphic styles, which is the
reason why I want to avoid any style dependent part inside them.

To give you an example. I need something like this

\color[{\StateDependentColor[stateA=green,stateC=blue,whatever=yellow,...]}]

If flag 'stateA' is true at runtime, then color 'green' is used (and so
on; order is significant).

I have written such a macro, but sadly it crashes when used inside
\color or \definecolor. Tried to debug it, but this is my first
experience with the trace commands (probably not the best example to
start with). Sigh, still so much to learn.. :)

Any hints are welcome.

Regards, Peter

[-- Attachment #2: statecolor.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1433 bytes --]

\setuppagenumber[state=stop]
\setupcolors[state=start]

\definecolor[colorA] [red]
\definecolor[colorB] [green]
\definecolor[colorC] [blue]

\newconditional\CondA
\newconditional\CondB
\newconditional\CondC

\unprotect

\def\GetStateDependentColor[#1]%
  {\bgroup
   \rawgetparameters[SDC@][A=,B=,C=,#1]%
   \def\MYdocommand##1%
     {\doifdefined{Cond##1} % conditional is known..
        {\expandafter\ifconditional\csname Cond##1\endcsname % ..AND true..
           \edef\CurrentColor{\csname SDC@##1\endcsname}\else
           \def\CurrentColor{}\fi
         \doifelsenothing\CurrentColor % ..AND a color is assigned
           \donefalse\donetrue}%
      \ifdone\CurrentColor\expandafter\quitcommalist\fi}%
   \processcommacommand[A,B,C]\MYdocommand % raw version does not work! why?
   \egroup}

\protect

\starttext

\setfalse\CondA
\settrue\CondB
\settrue\CondC

\tracingonline=1
%\tracingall=1
%\tracingmacros=1
%\tracingcommands=2
color is -\GetStateDependentColor[A=colorA,C=colorC]- % works so far
%\tracingmacros=0
%\tracingall=0

% crashes

%\tracingall=1
%\tracingmacros=1
%\tracingcommands=2
%\definecolor[testcolor][{\GetStateDependentColor[A=colorA,C=colorC]}]
%\color[testcolor]
%\color[{\GetStateDependentColor[A=colorA,C=colorC]}]
%\expandafter\color\expandafter[\expandafter{\GetStateDependentColor[A=colorA,C=colorC]}]
%\tracingall=0
TEST

\stoptext

* Re: color expansion at runtime
@ 2007-12-14 17:12 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-12-14 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 14, 2007, at 5:57 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I desperately need runtime defined colors (state dependent) for my
> macros. The macros are used with different graphic styles, which is
> the
> reason why I want to avoid any style dependent part inside them.
>
> To give you an example. I need something like this
>
> \color
> [{\StateDependentColor[stateA=green,stateC=blue,whatever=yellow,...]}]
>
> If flag 'stateA' is true at runtime, then color 'green' is used (and
> so
> on; order is significant).
>
> I have written such a macro, but sadly it crashes when used inside
> \color or \definecolor. Tried to debug it, but this is my first
> experience with the trace commands (probably not the best example to
> start with). Sigh, still so much to learn.. :)
>
> Any hints are welcome.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're trying to do, so this is a
shot in the dark: instead of low-level trickery, you could use ConTeXt
modes:

\startmode[A]
\definecolor [mycolor] [g=1]
\stopmode

\startmode[B]
\definecolor [mycolor] [r=1]
\stopmode

You can then set \enablemode[A] in your file or pass the mode on the
commandline: texexec --mode=A

HTH

Thomas

* Re: color expansion at runtime
@ 2007-12-14 18:59   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-12-14 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz schrieb:
> On Dec 14, 2007, at 5:57 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I desperately need runtime defined colors (state dependent) for my
>> macros. The macros are used with different graphic styles, which is
>> the
>> reason why I want to avoid any style dependent part inside them.
>>
>> To give you an example. I need something like this
>>
>> \color
>> [{\StateDependentColor[stateA=green,stateC=blue,whatever=yellow,...]}]
>>
>> If flag 'stateA' is true at runtime, then color 'green' is used (and
>> so
>> on; order is significant).
>>
>> I have written such a macro, but sadly it crashes when used inside
>> \color or \definecolor. Tried to debug it, but this is my first
>> experience with the trace commands (probably not the best example to
>> start with). Sigh, still so much to learn.. :)
>>
>> Any hints are welcome.
>
> I'm not quite sure I understand what you're trying to do, so this is a
> shot in the dark: instead of low-level trickery, you could use ConTeXt
> modes:
>
> \startmode[A]
> \definecolor [mycolor] [g=1]
> \stopmode
>
> \startmode[B]
> \definecolor [mycolor] [r=1]
> \stopmode
>
> You can then set \enablemode[A] in your file or pass the mode on the
> commandline: texexec --mode=A

Thanks Thomas for your help.

I can do this without low-level trickery, but this would mean one or two
(fore|backgroundcolor) additional macro(s) per building block (>20) for
every graphic style (currently 2; more to come). This makes about 60
stupid little macros..... nope.
I think that in some special cases I must do this anyway (where the
color is choosen from a combination of states), but most times a general
macro will do.

I will try to get it run this weekend (have to learn TeX debugging
first). But I wouldn't be surprised if this is the easier part of the
problem. We will see :)

Greetings, Peter

@ 2007-12-15 10:17 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-15 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/12/14, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net>:
> Hi,
>
> I desperately need runtime defined colors (state dependent) for my
> macros. The macros are used with different graphic styles, which is the
> reason why I want to avoid any style dependent part inside them.
>
> To give you an example. I need something like this
>
> \color[{\StateDependentColor[stateA=green,stateC=blue,whatever=yellow,...]}]
>
> If flag 'stateA' is true at runtime, then color 'green' is used (and so
> on; order is significant).
>
> I have written such a macro, but sadly it crashes when used inside
> \color or \definecolor. Tried to debug it, but this is my first
> experience with the trace commands (probably not the best example to
> start with). Sigh, still so much to learn.. :)
>
> Any hints are welcome.
>
> Regards, Peter

Hi Peter,

can you try this (untested),

\chardef\stateA\zerocount
\chardef\stateB\plusone
\chardef\stateC\plustwo

\let\currentstate\stateA

\def\statecolor{\ifcase\currentstate red\or green\or blue\fi}

\starttext

\color[\statecolor]{Currentstate}

\let\currentstate\stateB

\color[\statecolor]{Currentstate}

\let\currentstate\stateC

\color[\statecolor]{Currentstate}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: color expansion at runtime
@ 2007-12-15 14:07   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-12-15 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster schrieb:
> 2007/12/14, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I desperately need runtime defined colors (state dependent) for my
>> macros. The macros are used with different graphic styles, which is the
>> reason why I want to avoid any style dependent part inside them.
>>
>> To give you an example. I need something like this
>>
>> \color[{\StateDependentColor[stateA=green,stateC=blue,whatever=yellow,...]}]
>>
>> If flag 'stateA' is true at runtime, then color 'green' is used (and so
>> on; order is significant).
>>
>> I have written such a macro, but sadly it crashes when used inside
>> \color or \definecolor. Tried to debug it, but this is my first
>> experience with the trace commands (probably not the best example to
>> start with). Sigh, still so much to learn.. :)
>>
>> Any hints are welcome.
>>
>> Regards, Peter
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> can you try this (untested),

Hi Wolfgang,

your idea works pretty good (I haven't thought about \ifcase 'til now).
Still the problem is, that

- currentstate must be set somehow
- the colors and the number of used states vary from macro to macro

So I have to define individual variants of \statecolor (with non fixed
state=number pairs), or add an entry for every single state (currently
9). The later method is too ugly (imagine the case that you only need
states 0 and 8) and will be hard to maintain if new states arise.

I end up with 60 macros and that is what I want to avoid. Anyhow thanks
for your help.
I will try to trace my color macro while listening the right music for
such problems (Yo La Tengo - I am not afraid of you and will beat your
ass). Hopefully it works. ;)

Greetings, Peter

@ 2007-12-15 16:16     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-15 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/12/15, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net>:
> Wolfgang Schuster schrieb:
> > 2007/12/14, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net>:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I desperately need runtime defined colors (state dependent) for my
> >> macros. The macros are used with different graphic styles, which is the
> >> reason why I want to avoid any style dependent part inside them.
> >>
> >> To give you an example. I need something like this
> >>
> >> \color[{\StateDependentColor[stateA=green,stateC=blue,whatever=yellow,...]}]
> >>
> >> If flag 'stateA' is true at runtime, then color 'green' is used (and so
> >> on; order is significant).
> >>
> >> I have written such a macro, but sadly it crashes when used inside
> >> \color or \definecolor. Tried to debug it, but this is my first
> >> experience with the trace commands (probably not the best example to
> >> start with). Sigh, still so much to learn.. :)
> >>
> >> Any hints are welcome.
> >>
> >> Regards, Peter
> >
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > can you try this (untested),
>
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> your idea works pretty good (I haven't thought about \ifcase 'til now).
> Still the problem is, that
>
> - currentstate must be set somehow
> - the colors and the number of used states vary from macro to macro
>
> So I have to define individual variants of \statecolor (with non fixed
> state=number pairs), or add an entry for every single state (currently
> 9). The later method is too ugly (imagine the case that you only need
> states 0 and 8) and will be hard to maintain if new states arise.

It is hard to give a better solution because I don't what do you want to achive
and how your interface should look to change the states and colors ...

> I end up with 60 macros and that is what I want to avoid. Anyhow thanks
> for your help.
> I will try to trace my color macro while listening the right music for
> such problems (Yo La Tengo - I am not afraid of you and will beat your
> ass). Hopefully it works. ;)
>
> Greetings, Peter

I wish you good luck to find a better solution, I'm myself a little
busy till monday
and can't help you for the moment and I run into a few other ConTeXt problems
(and bugs, mkii and mkiv) the last two days and wasted to many time with them.

Wolfgang

* Re: color expansion at runtime
@ 2007-12-17  8:49 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-17  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I desperately need runtime defined colors (state dependent) for my
> macros. The macros are used with different graphic styles, which is the
> reason why I want to avoid any style dependent part inside them.
>
> To give you an example. I need something like this
>
> \color[{\StateDependentColor[stateA=green,stateC=blue,whatever=yellow,...]}]
>
> If flag 'stateA' is true at runtime, then color 'green' is used (and so
> on; order is significant).

this is what color palets are for .. grep a bit on the base path; it's
even in some manuals

if you use colorpalets, then you can change the state of many colors at
once with one command

> I have written such a macro, but sadly it crashes when used inside
> \color or \definecolor. Tried to debug it, but this is my first
> experience with the trace commands (probably not the best example to
> start with). Sigh, still so much to learn.. :)
>
> Any hints are welcome.
>
> Regards, Peter

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: color expansion at runtime
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-12-17 10:33 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-12-17 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:

> I have written such a macro, but sadly it crashes when used inside
> \color or \definecolor. Tried to debug it, but this is my first
> experience with the trace commands (probably not the best example to
> start with). Sigh, still so much to learn.. :)

The problem is that it defines things, and you can't do that inside
an argument. Solution: rewrite the macro to define a new macro
(like \def\currentStateDependentColor{green}) instead of expanding
on the fly. Then you have to do something like this:

   \StateDependentColor[stateA=green,stateC=blue,whatever=yellow,...]
   \ color[\currentStateDependentColor]

And that should work.

Best wishes,
Taco