* bib module in pdftex and luatex
@ 2007-12-21 12:06 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-12-21 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all (esp. Taco ;-),

here's a very fundamental question about the bib-module: my main bib
file now has ~ 1,700 entries. When I tried to compile a file which
includes bibliographic references in mkii, I got this error:

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=60000].
\@@shortsectionnumber ...\c!conversion \endcsname
                                                   \relax \@EA \ifx
\csname \...

\@@longsectionnumber ...\@@shortsectionnumber {#1}
                                                   \fi
\finalsectionnumber ...alue {\@@sectie \c!number }
                                                   \fi \fi
\dodododoconstructhead ...er {\someheadconversion
                                                   }\getvalue {\??ko
#1\c!inb...
l.162 \section{Textausgaben}

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

The same file compiles without errors in mkiv. So I'm curious: Is it
possible that the bib file is just too large for mkii? Or is it more
probable that there's some error in it such as missing crossref etc?
Does anyone have experience with large bib files and the bib module?

Thanks, and best wishes

Thomas

* Re: bib module in pdftex and luatex
@ 2007-12-21 12:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-21 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all (esp. Taco ;-),
>
> here's a very fundamental question about the bib-module: my main bib
> file now has ~ 1,700 entries. When I tried to compile a file which
> includes bibliographic references in mkii, I got this error:
>
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [hash size=60000].
> \@@shortsectionnumber ...\c!conversion \endcsname
>                                                    \relax \@EA \ifx
> \csname \...
>
> \@@longsectionnumber ...\@@shortsectionnumber {#1}
>                                                    \fi
> \finalsectionnumber ...alue {\@@sectie \c!number }
>                                                    \fi \fi
> \dodododoconstructhead ...er {\someheadconversion
>                                                    }\getvalue {\??ko
> #1\c!inb...
> l.162 \section{Textausgaben}
>
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> The same file compiles without errors in mkiv. So I'm curious: Is it
> possible that the bib file is just too large for mkii? Or is it more
> probable that there's some error in it such as missing crossref etc?
> Does anyone have experience with large bib files and the bib module?

you can increase the hash size in texmf.cnf ... if so, then also remake
the format

in mkiv we need less hash space if only because it got rid of encodings
and regimes

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-12-21 13:22   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-12-21 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 21, 2007, at 1:47 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> you can increase the hash size in texmf.cnf ... if so, then also
> remake
> the format
>
> in mkiv we need less hash space if only because it got rid of
> encodings
> and regimes

Indeed, increasing the hash_extra size and rebuilding the formats
worked. Remarkable that mkiv is already more efficient wrt hash space!

Thanks, and best

@ 2007-12-21 13:37 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-12-21 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> The same file compiles without errors in mkiv. So I'm curious: Is it
> possible that the bib file is just too large for mkii?

Just to be complete: In general, the answer to that is "yes", even for
mkiv.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: bib module in pdftex and luatex
@ 2007-12-21 15:40   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-12-21 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 21, 2007, at 2:37 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Just to be complete: In general, the answer to that is "yes", even for
> mkiv.
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

Hmm, okay, thanks, Taco. Any rule of thumb for just how big is too
big? And what do people do in cases like this? One of the wonderful
things about bibtex for me was that I could build up one big database
which I could reuse for all my needs.

@ 2007-12-21 15:56     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-12-21 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2007, at 2:37 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> Just to be complete: In general, the answer to that is "yes", even for
>> mkiv.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Taco
>>

> Hmm, okay, thanks, Taco. Any rule of thumb for just how big is too big?

Depends on your texmf.cnf. IIRC, I have twenty or so csnames per
entry, and the baseline for mkii is a bit over 40.000 csnames,
so you need about

    40.000 + 20 * (numberofentries)

> And what do people do in cases like this? One of the wonderful

Increase hash_extra, as Hans said. There is (virtuallly) no limit
to that.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: bib module in pdftex and luatex
@ 2007-12-21 17:00       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2007-12-21 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 21, 2007, at 4:56 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Depends on your texmf.cnf. IIRC, I have twenty or so csnames per
> entry, and the baseline for mkii is a bit over 40.000 csnames,
> so you need about
>
>    40.000 + 20 * (numberofentries)
>
>> And what do people do in cases like this? One of the wonderful
>
> Increase hash_extra, as Hans said. There is (virtuallly) no limit
> to that.
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

Ah, okay! Thanks a lot. So I will pit my ever larger and larger bib
files against the ever more powerful computers that we will have in
the future and let them fight it out!

@ 2007-12-21 17:25         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-21 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Ah, okay! Thanks a lot. So I will pit my ever larger and larger bib
> files against the ever more powerful computers that we will have in
> the future and let them fight it out!

we can manage the bib data in lua and do all bibtex actions there,

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE