* Bug: Figures in columnset not displayed or compilation fails
@ 2015-07-11  7:17 Andreas Becker
From: Andreas Becker @ 2015-07-11  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

ConTeXt version: 2015.07.10 00:05

When I attempt to compile the minimal examples listed below with «context», wrong
behavior can be observed.  No problems occur if it is compiled with «texexec».

The problems seem to arise when there are figures in a columnset in proximity to a
page break. If there are two consecutive figures at the page end, the compilation
fails in some cases.

In example #1, if the figure height is large enough that the figure does not fit on
the first page, the figure is not displayed at all. I tried different position keys
and observed no difference. The last occurence of «\input lorem» is mandatory for
this behavior.

In example #2, if the height of either of the figures so large, that is it not
possible to put both figures on the first page, and the size of the other figure is
small enough, that this single figure would fit on the page, the compilation error #1
occurs. This is independent of the consecutive text, i. e. the last «\input lorem»
line.  If the position keyword «top» is assigned to the smaller figure, it is
displayed, unlike the other, large figure.  If both figure heights are large, no
figure is displayed (like in example #1) unless we remove the last «\input lorem»
line.

By the way, the path in \externalfigure does not point to an existing file.

Regards, Andreas

Example #1:
\starttext
\startcolumnset
\chapter{chap}
\input lorem \input lorem
\input lorem
\placefigure[][]{}{\externalfigure[bla][height=7cm]}
\input lorem
\stopcolumnset
\stoptext

Example #2:
\starttext
\startcolumnset
\chapter{chap}
\input lorem \input lorem
\input lorem
\placefigure[][]{}{\externalfigure[bla][height=2cm]}
\placefigure[][]{}{\externalfigure[bla][height=9cm]}
\input lorem
\stopcolumnset
\stoptext

Error #1:
lua error       > lua error on line 9 in file /home/user/contest/bla.tex:
...ext-minimals/texmf-context/tex/context/base/node-aux.lua:92: You cannot set field list in a node of type glue_spec
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'setfield'
	...ext-minimals/texmf-context/tex/context/base/node-aux.lua:92: in function 'takebox'
	...ext-minimals/texmf-context/tex/context/base/node-aux.lua:100: in function 'textakebox'
	...ext-minimals/texmf-context/tex/context/base/page-flt.lua:137: in function <...ext-minimals/texmf-context/tex/context/base/page-flt.lua:133>
	(...tail calls...)
 1     \starttext
 2     \startcolumnset
 3     \chapter{chap}
 4     \input lorem \input lorem
 5     \input lorem
 6     \placefigure[][]{}{\externalfigure[bla][height=2cm]}
 7     \placefigure[][]{}{\externalfigure[bla][height=9cm]}
 8     \input lorem
 9 >>  \stopcolumnset
10     \stoptext

* Re: Bug: Figures in columnset not displayed or compilation fails
       [not found] <E1ZDp1y-0004kY-2w@mailfrontend-7.mail.tu-berlin.de>
@ 2015-07-13 18:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-07-13 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/11/2015 9:17 AM, Andreas Becker wrote:

> Example #2:
> \starttext
> \startcolumnset
> \chapter{chap}
> \input lorem \input lorem
> \input lorem
> \placefigure[][]{}{\externalfigure[bla][height=2cm]}
> \placefigure[][]{}{\externalfigure[bla][height=9cm]}
> \input lorem
> \stopcolumnset
> \stoptext

fixed in next beta ... fyi: i need to redo part of columnsets in a more
mkiv-ish way

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE