* Re: lost colors (mkiv)
@ 2007-12-25 21:47 Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-12-25 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: indiego, ntg-context

Hi,

Your test example works well.

I have a few days old binaries from pragma folder too, downloaded and
set up with my Windows installer
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/context-installer/

Best,
Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: lost colors (mkiv)
@ 2007-12-27 10:26   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2007-12-27 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> can anyone with an actual *luatex* test, if this fails (live ConTeXt is
>> broken). My binaries are from the minimals at contextgarden (pragma
>> tree), ConTeXt is the latest beta.
>
> if you consider how color is implemented, this is actually not a bug

i agree that it's no bug, just different handling in comparison to mkii.
if i think about it, it works as it should. mhh, what are we talkin'
about ;)

> what do you expect in the following case ...
>
> 	\setbox\scratchbox{hi there}
>
> 	\hbox{\bf \copy\scratchbox}

i already trapped in this pitfall, so i'm aware of it :)

> till we had luatex, only fonts could be considered an attribute, and a
> rather limited one: each glyph node has a font id attached; luatex has a
> more generalized concept, attributes, and *each* node can have attributes
>
> colors (and more) in mkiv are implemented using attributes and therefore
> things behave a bit different
>
> i'm still not sure what mkiv should provide, since both methods have
> their (dis)advantages
>
> and so it may not come as a surprise that there is some hackery around
> this compatibility issue ..
>
> % engine=luatex
>
> \setupcolors[state=start]
>
> \enableattributeinheritance
> \starttext
>
> \newbox\TESTbox \setbox\TESTbox\hbox{Silence is sexy.}
>
> \hbox{\color[red]{Silence is sexy.}{\color[blue]{Silence is sexy.}}}
>
> \hbox{\color[red]{\attributedcopy\TESTbox}\color[blue]{\attributedbox\TESTbox}}

thanx for that. i'll change my code to make it mkiv compatible.

> \stoptext
>
> i may reimplement this at some point using the new attr feature that
> comes with boxes (i had no time yet)
>
> when testing this a few minutes ago, i found out that this mechanisms
> was disabled; i uploaded a beta that should work ok
>
> it will take a while before such thinsg are sorted out, esp because
> there is no best way, most logical approach, no method that makes most
> sense (which is also why it's left to macro packages to deal with it)
>
> (btw, this phenomena is mentioned in mk.pdf, of which there is an
> updated version)

for all interested the full link

http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mk.pdf

very nice stuff for my laser.

best wishes, peter

> Hans

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: lost colors (mkiv)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-12-26 19:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-26 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anyone with an actual *luatex* test, if this fails (live ConTeXt is
> broken). My binaries are from the minimals at contextgarden (pragma
> tree), ConTeXt is the latest beta.

if you consider how color is implemented, this is actually not a bug

what do you expect in the following case ...

	\setbox\scratchbox{hi there}

	\hbox{\bf \copy\scratchbox}

till we had luatex, only fonts could be considered an attribute, and a
rather limited one: each glyph node has a font id attached; luatex has a
more generalized concept, attributes, and *each* node can have attributes

colors (and more) in mkiv are implemented using attributes and therefore
things behave a bit different

i'm still not sure what mkiv should provide, since both methods have
their (dis)advantages

and so it may not come as a surprise that there is some hackery around
this compatibility issue ..

% engine=luatex

\setupcolors[state=start]

\enableattributeinheritance
\starttext

\newbox\TESTbox \setbox\TESTbox\hbox{Silence is sexy.}

\hbox{\color[red]{Silence is sexy.}{\color[blue]{Silence is sexy.}}}

\hbox{\color[red]{\attributedcopy\TESTbox}\color[blue]{\attributedbox\TESTbox}}

\stoptext

i may reimplement this at some point using the new attr feature that
comes with boxes (i had no time yet)

when testing this a few minutes ago, i found out that this mechanisms
was disabled; i uploaded a beta that should work ok

it will take a while before such thinsg are sorted out, esp because
there is no best way, most logical approach, no method that makes most
sense (which is also why it's left to macro packages to deal with it)

(btw, this phenomena is mentioned in mk.pdf, of which there is an
updated version)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: lost colors (mkiv)
@ 2007-12-25 21:04   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2007-12-25 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 20:44:29 +0100
"luigi scarso" <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> Even here no colors. I'm  using last stable context.

Same here (it looks that previously i was looking at xetex's output):

This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.20.2-2007122521 (Web2C 7.5.6)

ConTeXt  ver: 2007.12.21 20:50 MKIV  fmt: 2007.12.25  int: english/english

Sincerely,
Gour

* Re: lost colors (mkiv)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-12-25 19:44 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-12-25 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 25, 2007 2:31 PM, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anyone with an actual *luatex* test, if this fails (live ConTeXt is
> broken). My binaries are from the minimals at contextgarden (pragma
> tree), ConTeXt is the latest beta.
>

> \setupcolors[state=start]
>
> \starttext
>
> \newbox\TESTbox
> \setbox\TESTbox\hbox{Silence is sexy.}
>
> \hbox{{\color[red]Silence is sexy.}{\color[blue]Silence is sexy.}}
> \hbox{{\color[red]\copy\TESTbox}{\color[blue]\box\TESTbox}}% no colors
> with mkiv
>
> \stoptext

Even here no colors. I'm  using last stable context.

This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.20.2-2007121721 (Web2C 7.5.6)
(format=cont-en 2007.12.19)  25 DEC 2007 20:43
**test_0001.tex
(./test_0001.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2007.12.18 19:11 MKIV  fmt: 2007.12.19  int: english/english

--
luigi
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso/Merry_Christmas_2007

* Re: lost colors (mkiv)
@ 2007-12-25 14:36 ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2007-12-25 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 14:31:43 +0100
Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,

> can anyone with an actual *luatex* test, if this fails (live ConTeXt
> is broken). My binaries are from the minimals at contextgarden (pragma
> tree), ConTeXt is the latest beta.

I just succeeded in building latest luatex and generating all the require formats
and your test file works here ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

* Re: lost colors (mkiv)
@ 2007-12-25 14:02 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-25 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 14:31:43 +0100
Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can anyone with an actual *luatex* test, if this fails (live ConTeXt is
> broken). My binaries are from the minimals at contextgarden (pragma
> tree), ConTeXt is the latest beta.
>
> \setupcolors[state=start]
>
> \starttext
>
> \newbox\TESTbox
> \setbox\TESTbox\hbox{Silence is sexy.}
>
> \hbox{{\color[red]Silence is sexy.}{\color[blue]Silence is sexy.}}
> \hbox{{\color[red]\copy\TESTbox}{\color[blue]\box\TESTbox}}% no colors
> with mkiv
>
> \stoptext

Hi Peter,

I have the same problem on my system, the text in the second line is
black and has no colors.

ConTeXt  ver: 2007.12.21 20:50 MKIV  fmt: 2007.12.21  int: english/english
This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.20.2-2007121821

LuaTeX version

 BTW: The latest was for mkii and should't be used at
the moment.

Wolfgang

* Re: lost colors (mkiv)
@ 2007-12-25 13:57 ` Arthur Reutenauer
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2007-12-25 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> can anyone with an actual *luatex* test, if this fails

  Yes, Mark IV fails on my machine too (ConTeXt  ver: 2007.12.21 20:50 MKIV).

>                                                        (live ConTeXt is
> broken).

  I had a look at that but I couldn't figure out why, and I don't have
that much time right now.  The problem seems to be that ConTeXt doesn't
find the fonts, which doesn't make much sense since the installation has
not changed in months (except that we upgrade to the latest beta each
time it is released).

	Arthur

* lost colors (mkiv)
@ 2007-12-25 13:31 Peter Rolf