* default engine for texexec
@ 2007-12-29 22:22 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2007-12-29 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hello,

What methods do exist, to change the default engine for texexec (for
example luatex instead of pdftex)?

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: default engine for texexec
@ 2007-12-29 23:04 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-12-29 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:22:37 -0700, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What methods do exist, to change the default engine for texexec (for
> example luatex instead of pdftex)?

==================
% luatex

\starttext

Hi

\stoptext
==================

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: default engine for texexec
@ 2007-12-30  8:29   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2007-12-30  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 04:04:43PM -0700, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:22:37 -0700, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:
>
> > What methods do exist, to change the default engine for texexec (for
> > example luatex instead of pdftex)?
>
> ==================
> % luatex

Hello Idris,

With "default" I mean, that this is the engine, that will be used if I
don't specify any engine in the file or on the command line.

When I typeset for example the file
\starttext
Hi
\stoptext

with the command "texexec file", I want luatex to be used. And with the
command "texexec --pdftex file" I want pdftex to be used.

Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2007-12-30 18:17     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-12-30 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Peter,

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 01:29:46 -0700, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:

> with the command "texexec file", I want luatex to be used. And with the
> command "texexec --pdftex file" I want pdftex to be used.

IIRC there used to be an ini file with those options, but it's gone now.
For one thing, older engines like tex and omega are no longer supported
(no etex), luatex is still experimental, and aleph is obsolete (except for
testing for relevant luatex bugs). So pdftex is the only really solid
engine (I don't know anything about xetex).

So maybe Hans is waiting till mkiv stabilizes before giving us that option
back?

Best

@ 2007-12-30 21:16     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-12-30 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 04:04:43PM -0700, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:22:37 -0700, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> What methods do exist, to change the default engine for texexec (for
>>> example luatex instead of pdftex)?
>> ==================
>> % luatex
>
> Hello Idris,
>
> With "default" I mean, that this is the engine, that will be used if I
> don't specify any engine in the file or on the command line.
>
> When I typeset for example the file
> \starttext
> Hi
> \stoptext
>
> with the command "texexec file", I want luatex to be used. And with the
> command "texexec --pdftex file" I want pdftex to be used.

because eventually mkiv will provide new functionality adding the %
lines makes sense; texexec will always default to pdftex because
otherwise we break compatibility when used in scripts

mtxrun --script context ....

which wil become the luatex replacemenent for texexec for luatex

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE