* active strings in luatex?
@ 2007-12-28 18:29 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-12-28 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Hans and Taco,
This may be of general interest to the Europeans (and indirectly relates
to the \sh@ft email):

I need the following:

LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH TILDE;004C 0303
LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH TILDE;006C 0303

The proposal is still under consideration for lithuanian and not yet in
unicode. In luatex can I make a definition such that such that the string

U004C U0303 (l ̃)

is always treated as l with tilde above, taking into account italics and
without using \~l (which does not work in, eg, footnote)?

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: active strings in luatex?
@ 2008-01-13  3:31 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-01-13  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Hello Idris,

  I didn't see any reply to this e-mail you sent two weeks ago, so I
wanted to give it a try:

>          In luatex can I make a definition such that such that the string
>
> U004C U0303 (l ̃)
>
> is always treated as l with tilde above, taking into account italics and
> without using \~l (which does not work in, eg, footnote)?

  What you want here is to support the Unicode combining characters,
which isn't straightforward in TeX because according to the Standard,
they come after the base letter they modify, while TeX's accent commands
are, of course, typed before.  So you can't simply make the combining
characters active and equivalent to the appropriate accent macros.

  In traditional TeX, it would have been tempting to make the base letter
active instead, but this has a lot of drawbacks, and LuaTeX offers many
other possibilities.  Here I've used a set of macros that Taco had
written a couple of months ago in response to a question by Thomas
Schmitz (see http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/027095.html).
The attached file implements the transformation of the sequence <LATIN
SMALL LETTER L, COMBINING TILDE> in "\buildtextaccent\texttilde l",
which I hope gives the expected result in every circumstance.  I've done
it only for the small letter, but of course it's easy to adapt to add
the capital letter as well.

  Finally, I wish to clarify a small misunderstanding: you quoted the
two lines below:

	LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH TILDE;004C 0303
	LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH TILDE;006C 0303

with the comment "The proposal is still under consideration for
Lithuanian and not yet in Unicode".  Actually it is already encoded in
Unicode; that is, all the characters you need are present with the
appropriate semantics, and you can accurately represent a small l with
tilde in Unicode; only, you have to use two characters (U+006C followed
by U+0303).  The only thing that will be added to Unicode in that
respect is the *name* of those strings (I guess you took those two lines
from the data files for Unicode version 5.1.0, in beta stage).  The
corresponding characters, though, will not be added to Unicode,
according to a decision which has been made several years ago (I could
trace it back to a discussion at the Unicode Technical Committee in
October 1999, but I don't know the details).  The idea is that it can
already be represented as a sequence of characters, and the Unicode
Consortium does not wish to make the set of alphabetic characters
explode with diacritics.

  In spite of this, Unicode still wishes to acknowledge that some
unencoded accented letters are important in some languages, and provides
names for the character sequences representing them, like it does for
all the encoded characters.  The relevant document that explains this is
Unicode Standard Annex #34 (http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr34/).

	Arthur

[-- Attachment #2: combining_tilde.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 2715 bytes --]

% engine=luatex

% Macros to handle a particular combining sequence of Unicode characters
% in ConTeXt Mark IV by modifying the token list.
% © A. Reutenauer, January 2008.
% This file is distributed under the terms of the WTF Public License
% (http://sam.zoy.org/wftpl/)

\usetypescript[iwona]
\setupbodyfont[iwona, 14pt]

% Convert the sequence <U+006C LATIN SMALL LETTER L, U+0303 COMBINING TILDE>
% to an appropriate ConTeXt representation (\buildtextaccent\texttilde l).
% Strongly influenced by macros by Taco.
% See http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/027095.html
\def\handletokens[#1][#2]{\ctxlua{collectors.handle("#1", #2)}}

\def\startcombining{\ctxlua{collectors.install("combining", "stopcombining")}}

\startluacode
  -- The actual conversion function: we loop over the characters in 'str'.
  function convert_combining(str)
    -- l is true if we have just read an 'l'.
    -- t is the list of tokens read thus far.
    local l, t = false, { }
    -- The following should check if we read ‘l’ and ‘combining tilde’
    -- consecutively.  A lot of overhead; it would be much prettier to
    -- implement a finite automaton :-)
    for _, v in ipairs(str) do
      if not l then
        if v[2] == 0x6c -- v is LATIN SMALL LETTER L: set l to true, and hold
        then l = true
        else t[#t+1] = v -- Otherwise, append v to the token list
        end
      else -- l is true
        if v[2] == 0x0303 then -- v is COMBINING TILDE
          -- Found!  Append the ConTeXt sequence for “l with tilde” to t!
          t[#t+1] = token.create('buildtextaccent')
          t[#t+1] = token.create('texttilde')
          t[#t+1] =  token.create(0x6c, 11)
          l = false -- Don't forget to set l back to false
        else -- This is annoying: we need to check if v is ‘l’ again.
          t[#t+1] = token.create(0x6c, 11) -- First append the previous ‘l’
          if v[2] == 0x6c -- v is LATIN SMALL LETTER L: start all over again
          then l = true
          else
            t[#t+1] = v
            l = false
          end
        end -- of "if l"
      end -- of "if not l"
    end -- of for loop
    return t
  end -- of function
\stopluacode

\def\stopcombining
  {\handletokens[combining][convert_combining]
   \flushtokens[combining]}

% Now we can use \start ... \stopcombining below.

\starttext

% There are two “l with tilde”: one on the second ‘l’ of “Hell̃o”, and the
% other one on “kal̃bame”.  (No, Idris, the Lithuanian radical kalb-
% doesn't mean “dog” ;-)
\startcombining
Hell̃o, world! Mẽs visì kal̃bame lietùviškai.
\stopcombining

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: combining_tilde.pdf --]

* Re: active strings in luatex?
@ 2008-01-13 11:18   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-01-13 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
> 	Hello Idris,
>
>   I didn't see any reply to this e-mail you sent two weeks ago, so I
> wanted to give it a try:
>
>>          In luatex can I make a definition such that such that the string
>>
>> U004C U0303 (l ̃)
>>
>> is always treated as l with tilde above, taking into account italics and
>> without using \~l (which does not work in, eg, footnote)?
>
>   What you want here is to support the Unicode combining characters,
> which isn't straightforward in TeX because according to the Standard,
> they come after the base letter they modify,

Which is a fairly annoying syntax for our purpose.

>     -- The following should check if we read ‘l’ and ‘combining tilde’
>     -- consecutively.  A lot of overhead; it would be much prettier to
>     -- implement a finite automaton :-)

Thanks for the reminder. We have been thinking about creating an
lpeg variant that operates on tokens and/or nodes instead of
simple data strings, but that will take quite a bit of work.

It would be possible to simplify the loop logic by storing 'v' in
a local variable, so that t[] always lags behind one value:

   function convert_combining(str)
     local l, t = { }, { }
     for _, v in ipairs(str) do
         if v[2] == 0x0303 and l[2] == 0x6c then
            t[#t+1] = token.create('buildtextaccent')
            t[#t+1] = token.create('texttilde')
         end
       if l[2] then t[#t+1] = l  end
       l = v
     end
     if l[2] then t[#t+1] = l  end
     return t
   end

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: active strings in luatex?
@ 2008-01-13 14:38     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-13 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I only wanted to add a note:
XeTeX always converts, say, c + combining caron into a ccaron whenever
one exists in the font (and does that on a really low-level). If
ccaron doesn't exist (or if there's no such comination in unicode), it
simply requests both glyphs from the font (and only modern fonts have
those combining glyphs, I assume). In the case of LM, the font has
combining characters with zero width with the accent shifted to the
left, so that it looks OK on an average glyph (but in general, TeX
does a better job with combining characters) unless one requests two
accents.

In my opinion, LuaTeX should also be able to handle such combining
characters somewhere in the early stages (I have never followed the
low-level details of LuaTeX - very often "low level" means "mkiv" for
LuaTeX, so probably this still means - mkiv should handle that).

So, either ccaron or c+combining caron (or l+combining tilde) should
behave the same way:
- if there's such a glyph in the font, use it
- if there is no such glyph, combine the character from c and a caron
(but probably not the combining one! - different fonts have different
ideas of what a combining character should be)

Also, {\v x} and other strange combinations don't work in ConTeXt (I
guess it does in plain TeX) since ConTeXt MK II uses a clever way to
figure out if such characters exist in the font encoding, but
combinations of letters and accents that are not explicitely defined
that they should work, are ruled out, which is a pitty.

Mojca

* Re: active strings in luatex?
@ 2008-01-13 18:51     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-01-13 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks for the reminder. We have been thinking about creating an
> lpeg variant that operates on tokens and/or nodes instead of
> simple data strings, but that will take quite a bit of work.

  That sure would be nice.

> It would be possible to simplify the loop logic by storing 'v' in
> a local variable, so that t[] always lags behind one value:

  OK, thanks (but actually I was quite proud to get my code working
already on the second try, so I kept it that non-optimal way ;-)

	Arthur

* Re: active strings in luatex?
@ 2008-01-13 22:59   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-13 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
> 	Hello Idris,
>
>   I didn't see any reply to this e-mail you sent two weeks ago, so I
> wanted to give it a try:
>
>>          In luatex can I make a definition such that such that the string
>>
>> U004C U0303 (l ̃)
>>
>> is always treated as l with tilde above, taking into account italics and
>> without using \~l (which does not work in, eg, footnote)?
>
>   What you want here is to support the Unicode combining characters,
> which isn't straightforward in TeX because according to the Standard,
> they come after the base letter they modify, while TeX's accent commands
> are, of course, typed before.  So you can't simply make the combining
> characters active and equivalent to the appropriate accent macros.

if i know the precise specs i can build it into the utf collapser, which
is way faster than dealing with tokens (mkiv will not have a token
parser for the main input, at most for dedicated tasks)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: active strings in luatex?
@ 2008-01-13 23:25     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-01-13 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:59:27 -0700, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>>> In luatex can I make a definition such that such that the string
>>>
>>> U004C U0303 (l ̃)
>>>
>>> is always treated as l with tilde above, taking into account italics
>>> and
>>> without using \~l (which does not work in, eg, footnote)?
>>
>>   What you want here is to support the Unicode combining characters,
>> which isn't straightforward in TeX because according to the Standard,
>> they come after the base letter they modify, while TeX's accent commands
>> are, of course, typed before.  So you can't simply make the combining
>> characters active and equivalent to the appropriate accent macros.
>
> if i know the precise specs i can build it into the utf collapser, which
> is way faster than dealing with tokens (mkiv will not have a token
> parser for the main input, at most for dedicated tasks)

This may be a good place to start:

http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch02.pdf

see pages 48--54

don't know if this is precise enough... See also pp.~109--117 of

http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch03.pdf

which seems even more precise. See also

http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/UnicodeBookIX.pdf

under "combining"

@ 2008-01-13 23:30     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-01-13 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> if i know the precise specs i can build it into the utf collapser

  I can work that out for you, but we need to think about how to treat
all this consistently, in particular with respect to the questions Mojca
raised:

  · Equivalent sequences need to be treated the same way (c + combining
    caron == ccaron).
  · If we need to compose a glyph out of other glyphs, it may be
    accounted for by some OpenType feature (in particular GPOS 'mark'
    and 'mkmk').
  · If nothing else is available, the good ol' TeX way using \accent is
    still valid, but we need to preserve the original Unicode data in
    the PDF (for searching, etc.).

	Arthur

* Re: active strings in luatex?
@ 2008-01-14  0:20       ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-01-14  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> XeTeX always converts, say, c + combining caron into a ccaron whenever
> one exists in the font

  Does it really?  I had understood from the last discussion on the
XeTeX list that it did not, with the example of capital alpha +
combining breathing which was not set correctly.  But maybe it's LaTeX's
fault?

>                                    In the case of LM, the font has
> combining characters with zero width with the accent shifted to the
> left, so that it looks OK on an average glyph

  That's a nice trick, but in the case of 'l', it looks really ugly.

>                                               (but in general, TeX
> does a better job with combining characters) unless one requests two
> accents.

  Sure.

> So, either ccaron or c+combining caron (or l+combining tilde) should
> behave the same way:

  Yes, of course.  This is Unicode canonical equivalence, explained in
the links Idris gave in the Unicode Standard (chapter 2 is "Introduction",
chapter 3 is "Conformance", and we may be concerned by chapter
"Implementation guidelines", too).

> Also, {\v x} and other strange combinations don't work in ConTeXt (I
> guess it does in plain TeX) since ConTeXt MK II uses a clever way to
> figure out if such characters exist in the font encoding

  Mapping sequences like "\v c" to the appropriate slot in the current
font encoding is quite legitimate; LaTeX does the same with its own font
encodings.  I didn't know it meant things like "\v x" couldn't be
displayed, though.  That said, it is something different from supporting
combining characters.

	Arthur

* Re: active strings in luatex?
@ 2008-01-14  8:59       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-14  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>> if i know the precise specs i can build it into the utf collapser
>
>   I can work that out for you, but we need to think about how to treat
> all this consistently, in particular with respect to the questions Mojca
> raised:
>
>   · Equivalent sequences need to be treated the same way (c + combining
>     caron == ccaron).
>   · If we need to compose a glyph out of other glyphs, it may be
>     accounted for by some OpenType feature (in particular GPOS 'mark'
>     and 'mkmk').
>   · If nothing else is available, the good ol' TeX way using \accent is
>     still valid, but we need to preserve the original Unicode data in
>     the PDF (for searching, etc.).

(1) mkiv already has (actually it was one of the first thing
simplemented) an utf composition handler; this one is initialized using
the big char table which has information about the formal composition
sequences

an option is to add more to this (like the lcaron); fo rthose who want
to play with it i added a command (beta upload)

\definecomposedutf 318 108 126 % lcaron

keep in mind that this acts on the input, so it may mess up definitions
that contain l~ sequences; any input processing cq. token processing
(later stage) is kind of dangerous

(2) it is possible (but no handy interface yet, i may make it a
'context' font feature) to complete a font with all it's composed char
susing virtual fotn trickery (see mk.pdf) which resolves the missing
glyph issue

(3) letter this year (after mplib) we will pick up a 'glyph not present
in font' callback that's on our agenda

(4) another option is to deal with it in the node list handlers, but if
possible i want to avoid this (the more passes, the slower)

[there is already quite some framework present in mikv, but not always
interfaced; much of this is also used in performance testing and such
and some is reported in mk.pdf]

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE