* 2 further unix stubs
@ 2008-01-14 23:17 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-01-14 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hello,

What about these 2 new stubs:

stubs/unix/texmfstart:

#!/bin/sh
script=$(dirname $0)/../../ruby/texmfstart.rb
exec $script "$@"
# (or exec ruby $script "$@")

stubs/unix/texsync:

#!/bin/sh
texmfstart texsync.rb "$@"
# (Or is texsync now obsolete and replaced by another script?)

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: 2 further unix stubs
@ 2008-01-14 23:43 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-14 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 15, 2008 12:17 AM, Peter Münster wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What about these 2 new stubs:
>
> stubs/unix/texmfstart:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> script=$(dirname $0)/../../ruby/texmfstart.rb
> exec $script "$@"
> # (or exec ruby $script "$@")

texmfstart is usually "copy texmfstart.rb to texmfstart in bin and
make it executable". The drawback is that if something changes, it
needs to be updated in the bin folder as well.

tetex had an interesting way to call texexec though. (I have never
tried to understand it, but when texexec.pl has been updated, the
latest verision has been taken without the need to update binaries.)

Isn't this a bit dangerous if scripts move around?
     script=$(dirname $0)/../../ruby/texmfstart.rb

> stubs/unix/texsync:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> texmfstart texsync.rb "$@"
> # (Or is texsync now obsolete and replaced by another script?)

Something rsync-ish might pop up ...

Mojca

(In case that you figure out some more details about "context" stub,
please let me know ... I didn't manage to make it work either. It
seemed as if luatex didn't manage to find mtx-context.)

* Re: 2 further unix stubs
@ 2008-01-15  8:28   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-01-15  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 12:43:35AM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> texmfstart is usually "copy texmfstart.rb to texmfstart in bin and
> make it executable". The drawback is that if something changes, it
> needs to be updated in the bin folder as well.

Hello Mojca,

that's why a stub is useful.

> Isn't this a bit dangerous if scripts move around?
>      script=$(dirname $0)/../../ruby/texmfstart.rb

Indeed, it works only, if you don't move it...

My idea was ---to simplify my installation script--- only to add execution
bits to .../stubs/unix/* and add .../stubs/unix to the PATH.

But texmfstart seems to be an exception, I'll just keep my symbolic link.

> (In case that you figure out some more details about "context" stub,
> please let me know ... I didn't manage to make it work either. It
> seemed as if luatex didn't manage to find mtx-context.)

It works for me, if I put .../scripts/context/lua/context into my PATH and
add the --run option to the mtxrun call. And $@ should be "$@" of course.

(This stub is fine, because it means
"context file" = the future and "texexec file" = the past.)

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: 2 further unix stubs
@ 2008-01-15  9:38   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-15  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2008 12:17 AM, Peter Münster wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> What about these 2 new stubs:
>>
>> stubs/unix/texmfstart:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> script=$(dirname $0)/../../ruby/texmfstart.rb
>> exec $script "$@"
>> # (or exec ruby $script "$@")
>
> texmfstart is usually "copy texmfstart.rb to texmfstart in bin and
> make it executable". The drawback is that if something changes, it
> needs to be updated in the bin folder as well.

it's faster to have texmfstart as copy (on unix), on windows one can
associate the suffix 'rb' with ruby and add the scripts path to %path%

> (In case that you figure out some more details about "context" stub,
> please let me know ... I didn't manage to make it work either. It
> seemed as if luatex didn't manage to find mtx-context.)

this is fixed so you you need to

mtxrun --selfupdate

(luatools --selfupdate also works; the selfupdating is easier than copying)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: 2 further unix stubs
@ 2008-01-15  9:43     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-15  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:

> But texmfstart seems to be an exception, I'll just keep my symbolic link.

sounds ok to me ...

texmfstart, mtxrun, luatools : copies or symlinks

the res: stubs

(btw, for mtxrun related scripts, this is quite efficient because mtxrun
  already loads the file databases and the loaded scripts (like
mtx-context) fon't need a restart; this (plus the lua factor) is why
they run much faster than their ruby counterparts)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: 2 further unix stubs
@ 2008-01-15 10:37       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-01-15 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:43:17AM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:

> > But texmfstart seems to be an exception, I'll just keep my symbolic link.
>
> sounds ok to me ...
>
> texmfstart, mtxrun, luatools : copies or symlinks
>
> the res: stubs

What about mtxrun and luatools, they are stubs today. Will that change?
Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: 2 further unix stubs
@ 2008-01-15 10:54         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-15 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:43:17AM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>> But texmfstart seems to be an exception, I'll just keep my symbolic link.
>> sounds ok to me ...
>>
>> texmfstart, mtxrun, luatools : copies or symlinks
>>
>> the res: stubs
>
> What about mtxrun and luatools, they are stubs today. Will that change?
> Peter

this is mostly up to distributions

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: 2 further unix stubs
@ 2008-01-15 21:10           ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-01-15 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:54:43AM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:

> > What about mtxrun and luatools, they are stubs today. Will that change?
> > Peter
>
> this is mostly up to distributions

>From now on I use your stubs in my simplistic texlive-package, that is
getting even simpler today:
  chmod +x .../stubs/unix/*
  PATH=.../stubs/unix:$PATH
  ln -s .../scripts/context/ruby/texmfstart.rb .../TeX-live/bin/texmfstart

So, thank you for your stubs! Now I'm only waiting for the "context"-stub:
  #!/bin/sh
  mtxrun --script context --run "$@"

Cheers, Peter

--