* A strange request...
@ 2019-02-20 16:23 Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2019-02-20 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG-Context ConTeXt users

Hi all,

I am siting with a project of making a “dwarsligger”, you know these books, printed on bible-thin-printing paper, which are about  12 x 8 cm. One opens them while holding them ‘landscape’ with the spine on the top…

Now there is of course a little struggle with the page numbering. The reading page consists out of the even page together with the following uneven page. It is easy to print on the uneven page a page number, however this will result in uneven page numbers only throughout the book.

My question is, whether there is an algorithm to print page numbers as follows:

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 (this is the ordinary numbering)
1     2     3     4     5 (this is the requested numbering)

Does someone have an idea how to solve this?

Any hints are most appreciated!

Willi

* Re: A strange request...
@ 2019-02-20 16:32 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2019-02-20 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 5:23 PM Willi Egger <context@boede.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am siting with a project of making a “dwarsligger”, you know these
> books, printed on bible-thin-printing paper, which are about  12 x 8 cm.
> One opens them while holding them ‘landscape’ with the spine on the top…
>
> Now there is of course a little struggle with the page numbering. The
> reading page consists out of the even page together with the following
> uneven page. It is easy to print on the uneven page a page number, however
> this will result in uneven page numbers only throughout the book.
>
> My question is, whether there is an algorithm to print page numbers as
> follows:
>

> 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 (this is the ordinary numbering)
> 1     2     3     4     5 (this is the requested numbering)
>
> Does someone have an idea how to solve this?
>
> Any hints are most appreciated!
>
> Pickup n>=0, and find q and  r such
n = 2q + r,    r = 0 or r=1

It's not clear if you have 6 what you want to print (3 or 4 ?)
but playing with that formula can help you .
In many times, it's better to start from zero, so it could be that you
have to translate your input sequence by adding -1
and the output sequence by adding +1 .

--
luigi

* Re: A strange request...
@ 2019-02-20 16:52 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2019-02-20 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Willi Egger schrieb am 20.02.19 um 17:23:
> Hi all,
>
> I am siting with a project of making a “dwarsligger”, you know these books, printed on bible-thin-printing paper, which are about  12 x 8 cm. One opens them while holding them ‘landscape’ with the spine on the top…
>
> Now there is of course a little struggle with the page numbering. The reading page consists out of the even page together with the following uneven page. It is easy to print on the uneven page a page number, however this will result in uneven page numbers only throughout the book.
>
> My question is, whether there is an algorithm to print page numbers as follows:
>

> 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 (this is the ordinary numbering)
> 1     2     3     4     5 (this is the requested numbering)
>
> Does someone have an idea how to solve this?

Variant 1:

\setuppapersize[A5,landscape]

\setuppagenumbering[location=none]

\startsetups [pagenumber]
   \doifoddpageelse
     {\cldcontext{"\letterpercent d",(\pagenumber+1)/2}}
	{}
\stopsetups

\setupheadertexts [\directsetup{pagenumber}]

\starttext
\dorecurse{10}{\samplefile{knuth}}
\stoptext

Variant 2:

\defineexpandable[1]\DwarsliggerNumber
   {\cldcontext{"\letterpercent d",(#1+1)/2}}

\defineconversion [dwarsligger] [\DwarsliggerNumber]

\setuppapersize[A5,landscape]

\setupuserpagenumber[numberconversion=dwarsligger]

\setuppagenumbering[location=none]

\setupheadertexts [\doifoddpageelse{\prefixedpagenumber}{}]

\starttext
\dorecurse{10}{\samplefile{knuth}}
\stoptext

Wolfgang