* latest release(s) and XeTeX
@ 2008-01-19 17:05 Thomas A. Schmitz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-01-19 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is anybody using XeTeX with the latest releases? Even the most basical
"Hello World" document doesn't compile with this error (both stable
and beta, regardless if the document actually uses Latin Modern or
not). Any hints?

Thomas

bodyfont        : 12pt rm is loaded
kpathsea: Illegal fontname `[lmromanslant10-regular]:+liga;
+kern;mapping=tlig;+trep;': contains '['
kpathsea: Illegal fontname `lmromanslant10-regular:+liga;
+kern;mapping=tlig;+trep;': contains ':'
kpathsea: Running mktextfm lmromanslant10-regular
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input lmromanslant10-regular
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf lmromanslant10-regular
! I can't find file `lmromanslant10-regular'.
<*> ...; nonstopmode; input lmromanslant10-regular

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...; nonstopmode; input lmromanslant10-regular

Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: lmromanslant10-regular.log: No such file or directory
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
input lmromanslant10-regular' failed to make lmromanslant10-regular.tfm.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
! Font \*7ptrmslrm*:=lmromanslant10-regular at 7.0pt not loadable:
Metric (TFM)
  file or installed font not found.
<to be read again>
                    \relax
\xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                   \let
\localrelativefontsiz...

\dodosettextfamilyA ...amily \fontsize \endcsname
                                                   \else \ifcsname
\fontbody ...

\dosettextfamily ...ttextfamily \scriptscriptfont
                                                   \let \fontbody
\scriptface...
<inserted text> ...y \c!bf \dosettextfamily \c!sl
                                                   \dosettextfamily \c!
it \do...

\synchronizetext ...athfonts \the \textstrategies
                                                   \fi
l.1

?

* Re: latest release(s) and XeTeX
@ 2008-01-19 18:15 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-01-19 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Is anybody using XeTeX with the latest releases? Even the most basical
> "Hello World" document doesn't compile with this error (both stable
> and beta, regardless if the document actually uses Latin Modern or
> not). Any hints?

I don't use XeTeX, but I can confirm that I get the same error on simple
document using XeTeXk 0.997 and ConTeXt 2008.01.16.

Aditya

* Re: latest release(s) and XeTeX
@ 2008-01-19 22:54 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2008-01-19 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

I may confirm that on my installation the same thing happens.
I use:
	ConTeXt  ver: 2008.01.16 13:49 MKII  fmt: 2008.1.19  int: english/
english
and the log file is identical to yours (I have a MacBook running Mac
OS X 10.5.1).
Of course I have no idea what is going wrong (however the file runs
smoothly in ConTeXt and XeTeX separately).

Best regards: OK

@ 2008-01-19 23:40 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-19 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 19, 2008 6:05 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Is anybody using XeTeX with the latest releases? Even the most basical
> "Hello World" document doesn't compile with this error (both stable
> and beta, regardless if the document actually uses Latin Modern or
> not). Any hints?

The new beta has been turned into stable slightly too soon. (Hans has
added support for the new filenames of LM before they were even
released - in LuaTeX there are synonyms, but XeTeX is "broken" at the
moment if you don't have those fonts.)

If you have rsync on your computer, the fastest way to resolve the
problems would be to call
    rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/current/fonts/new/fonts/opentype/public/lm/
folder-with-otf-lm
and then mktexlsr.

(XeLaTeX didn't even consider those changes, I'm affraid. It's a
serious problem since the changes need to be synchronized, and I'm
afraid of *many* XeTeX users complainig very soon ...)

But some new LM filenames are really weird (lmromanslant10-regular.otf
and others). I hope that they will change at least a few of them to
something more sensible (for the sake of compatibility the best thing
to do would be not changing them at all). Size feature and some
grouping has been added to all of these fonts, so the names/usage in
GUI applications or in XeTeX (when called by name) will change as
well.

Mojca

* Re: latest release(s) and XeTeX
@ 2008-01-20  6:57   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-01-20  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 20, 2008, at 12:40 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2008 6:05 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> Is anybody using XeTeX with the latest releases? Even the most
>> basical
>> "Hello World" document doesn't compile with this error (both stable
>> and beta, regardless if the document actually uses Latin Modern or
>> not). Any hints?
>
> The new beta has been turned into stable slightly too soon. (Hans has
> added support for the new filenames of LM before they were even
> released - in LuaTeX there are synonyms, but XeTeX is "broken" at the
> moment if you don't have those fonts.)
>
> If you have rsync on your computer, the fastest way to resolve the
> problems would be to call
>    rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/current/fonts/new/
> fonts/opentype/public/lm/
> folder-with-otf-lm
> and then mktexlsr.
>
> (XeLaTeX didn't even consider those changes, I'm affraid. It's a
> serious problem since the changes need to be synchronized, and I'm
> afraid of *many* XeTeX users complainig very soon ...)
>
> But some new LM filenames are really weird (lmromanslant10-regular.otf
> and others). I hope that they will change at least a few of them to
> something more sensible (for the sake of compatibility the best thing
> to do would be not changing them at all). Size feature and some
> grouping has been added to all of these fonts, so the names/usage in
> GUI applications or in XeTeX (when called by name) will change as
> well.
>
> Mojca

Thanks Mojca, that worked! Now that I have your attention, may I ask
another question: a couple of months ago, I was wondering about using
fonts that are NOT installed on the system but are in one of the texmf-
trees. In typescripts, we have the "name:" and "file:" syntax; the
latter works with these fonts but seems to have some limitations (I
attach a reply Taco wrote). Has anything new developed on this
question? What is the canonical way of using such fonts?

Thanks a lot, and all best

Thomas

@ 2008-01-20 16:45     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-20 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 20, 2008 7:57 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Thanks Mojca, that worked! Now that I have your attention, may I ask
> another question: a couple of months ago, I was wondering about using
> fonts that are NOT installed on the system but are in one of the texmf-
> trees. In typescripts, we have the "name:" and "file:" syntax; the
> latter works with these fonts but seems to have some limitations (I
> attach a reply Taco wrote). Has anything new developed on this
> question?

Yes. See type-otf.tex:

    \definefontsynonym
        [LMRoman10-Regular]
        [file:lmroman10-regular]
        [features=default]

features=default is defined in font-ini.tex:

\definefontfeature
  [default]
  [liga=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes] % texligatures=yes,texquotes=yes

tlig=yes is than mapped to
    \remapfontfeature tlig          yes  mapping=tlig

Note that "mapping=tlig" replaces "mapping=tex-text" (maybe it might
make sense to call it "mapping=tex-ligatures", I don't know which one
sounds better), which replaces -- with endash, --- with emdash and '
with the proper apostrophe. The rest of sligtly weird "ligatures" from
tex-text is not there.

Mojca

(I somehow still miss a sligtly more simple syntax for the whole
typescript, but I have no idea what that could be.)

* Re: latest release(s) and XeTeX
@ 2008-01-20 22:04       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-01-20 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 20, 2008, at 5:45 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Yes. See type-otf.tex:
>
>    \definefontsynonym
>        [LMRoman10-Regular]
>        [file:lmroman10-regular]
>        [features=default]
>
> features=default is defined in font-ini.tex:
>
> \definefontfeature
>  [default]
>  [liga=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes] %
> texligatures=yes,texquotes=yes
>
> tlig=yes is than mapped to
>    \remapfontfeature tlig          yes  mapping=tlig
>
> Note that "mapping=tlig" replaces "mapping=tex-text" (maybe it might
> make sense to call it "mapping=tex-ligatures", I don't know which one
> sounds better), which replaces -- with endash, --- with emdash and '
> with the proper apostrophe. The rest of sligtly weird "ligatures" from
> tex-text is not there.
>
> Mojca
>
> (I somehow still miss a sligtly more simple syntax for the whole
> typescript, but I have no idea what that could be.)

Thanks again, Mojca! I begin to understand how things work in XeTeX
(but are still a bit lost when I get font errors; I have learnt to
understand what they mean in traditional TeX and will have to
understand them in XeTeX and luaTeX...).

All best

Thomas

* Re: latest release(s) and XeTeX
@ 2008-01-20 22:43     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-20 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Thanks Mojca, that worked! Now that I have your attention, may I ask
> another question: a couple of months ago, I was wondering about using
> fonts that are NOT installed on the system but are in one of the texmf-
> trees. In typescripts, we have the "name:" and "file:" syntax; the
> latter works with these fonts but seems to have some limitations (I
> attach a reply Taco wrote). Has anything new developed on this
> question? What is the canonical way of using such fonts?

for xetex:

- name: and file: only translate to usage of "" and [] specifications

- features are mapped onto the xetex syntax

- funny syntaxes like /B and such are not supported

for luatex:

- name: and file: are interpreted by lua code; file does several attempt
so locate a file, while name has some heuristics in figuring out the
file that belongs to the given name (spaces, special characters, case is
ignored for instance)

- features (not only otf, e.g. also afm has features) are just passed on
to mkiv lua code

in general, a xetex definition should be more precise

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-02-13  3:41   ` Jeff Smith
From: Jeff Smith @ 2008-02-13  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 19, 2008 6:40 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you have rsync on your computer, the fastest way to resolve the
> problems would be to call
>     rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/current/fonts/new/fonts/opentype/public/lm/
> folder-with-otf-lm
> and then mktexlsr.

Sorry to dig out this old thread, but I too am having weird LM
problems with a fresh TexLive install on a fresh Ubuntu Gutsy. I used
the repository package, and updated ConTeXt (to 2008.02.01).

That rsync command doesn't work, I get:

rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
main.c(1385) [receiver=2.6.9]

What else can I do?

Thanks!
Jeff

* Re: latest release(s) and XeTeX
@ 2008-02-13  8:21     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-02-13  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Smith wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2008 6:40 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you have rsync on your computer, the fastest way to resolve the
>> problems would be to call
>>     rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/current/fonts/new/fonts/opentype/public/lm/
>> folder-with-otf-lm
>> and then mktexlsr.

It works for me with:

   folder-with-otf-lm == /opt/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/lm

the (code 23) is likely to be some local file writing error.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: latest release(s) and XeTeX
@ 2008-02-13 12:10     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-02-13 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 13, 2008 4:41 AM, Jeff Smith <ascarel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2008 6:40 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you have rsync on your computer, the fastest way to resolve the
> > problems would be to call
> >     rsync -av rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/current/fonts/new/fonts/opentype/public/lm/
> > folder-with-otf-lm
> > and then mktexlsr.
>
> Sorry to dig out this old thread, but I too am having weird LM
> problems with a fresh TexLive install on a fresh Ubuntu Gutsy. I used
> the repository package, and updated ConTeXt (to 2008.02.01).
>
> That rsync command doesn't work, I get:

The command needs to be in a single line (it has been broken in mail).
So "folder-with-otf-lm" needs to stay in the same line (and you need
to replace it with the actual folder).

Mojca

* Re: latest release(s) and XeTeX
@ 2008-02-15  2:24       ` Jeff Smith
From: Jeff Smith @ 2008-02-15  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

>  The command needs to be in a single line (it has been broken in mail).
>  So "folder-with-otf-lm" needs to stay in the same line (and you need
>  to replace it with the actual folder).

OK -- now it compiles fine, although the log shows this:

** WARNING ** This .map file looks like a dvips format fontmap file.
** WARNING ** -- Current input buffer is: lmbsy5
LMMathSymbols5-BoldItalic    "enclmmathsy ReEncodeFont"
<lm-mathsy.enc  <lmbsy5.pfb
** WARNING ** -- Reading fontmap file stopped at: file="lm-math.map", line=7.
** WARNING ** This .map file looks like a dvips format fontmap file.
** WARNING ** -- Current input buffer is: rm-lmb10 LMRoman10-Demi
"enclmrm ReEncodeFont" <lm-rm.enc <lmb10.pfb
** WARNING ** -- Reading fontmap file stopped at: file="lm-rm.map", line=7.

Is that "normal", at least for the time being?

Also, there is one of my document where I used the footnote set 2
(asterisk, dagger, etc.) and bulleted lists (with \startitemize
\stopitemize). The glyphs are missing. What more can I do?

Thanks!
Jeff

* Re: latest release(s) and XeTeX
@ 2008-02-15 11:59         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-02-15 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 3:24 AM, Jeff Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> >  The command needs to be in a single line (it has been broken in mail).
>  >  So "folder-with-otf-lm" needs to stay in the same line (and you need
>  >  to replace it with the actual folder).
>
>  OK -- now it compiles fine, although the log shows this:
>
>  ** WARNING ** This .map file looks like a dvips format fontmap file.
>  ** WARNING ** -- Current input buffer is: lmbsy5
>  LMMathSymbols5-BoldItalic    "enclmmathsy ReEncodeFont"
>  <lm-mathsy.enc  <lmbsy5.pfb
>  ** WARNING ** -- Reading fontmap file stopped at: file="lm-math.map", line=7.
>  ** WARNING ** This .map file looks like a dvips format fontmap file.
>  ** WARNING ** -- Current input buffer is: rm-lmb10 LMRoman10-Demi
>  "enclmrm ReEncodeFont" <lm-rm.enc <lmb10.pfb
>  ** WARNING ** -- Reading fontmap file stopped at: file="lm-rm.map", line=7.
>
>  Is that "normal", at least for the time being?

No, it's not (I mean: it's a common problem that needs to be fixed).
You also need a few map files (which are part of TeX Live 2007, but
maybe not part of you distribution). However - they're now part of LM
fonts as well.

You need the following four files in the proper location
(TDS/fonts/map/dvipdfm/lm/):
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/fonts/common/fonts/map/dvipdfm/lm/
(accessible through rsync as well)

>  Also, there is one of my document where I used the footnote set 2
>  (asterisk, dagger, etc.) and bulleted lists (with \startitemize
>  \stopitemize). The glyphs are missing. What more can I do?

Need to check that, but it's quete possible that the symbol set
assumes glyphs at certait texanansi positions, so it needs to be fixed
for XeTeX and LuaTeX.

Mojca

* Re: latest release(s) and XeTeX
@ 2008-02-15 16:05           ` Jeff Smith
From: Jeff Smith @ 2008-02-15 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>  You need the following four files in the proper location
>  (TDS/fonts/map/dvipdfm/lm/):
>  http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/fonts/common/fonts/map/dvipdfm/lm/
>  (accessible through rsync as well)

Great! Matter solved. Thanks!

In fact, the footnote glyphs are back too! I still have a problem with
the itemize part, but I will have to report on that in a more precise
fashion later this weekend. My document with them doesn't compile and
I'm not sure it's because of that, so I'll investigate first.

Thanks again!
Jeff