* Indenting with ConTeXt
@ 2008-01-21 13:02 morgan.brassel
From: morgan.brassel @ 2008-01-21 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I'm very new to ConTeXt and I've got some (probably naive) questions about
indenting.

1. According to the ConTeXt Excursion, using \setupindenting[medium] should lead
to indented paragraph. And actually, at least for me, it doesn't... I saw
examples on the wiki with \setupindenting[yes,medium]: this actually works, but
the 'yes' option is not documented for the \setupindenting command on texshow.
What am I missing here? Is the \indenting command needed even to indent the
whole document? It is not what I understood from the Excursion...

2. I have not been able to indent the first paragraph after a \section (or any
other titling) command. Isn't it the role of the 'first' option for
\setupindenting? Is a trick needed to have it work?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Morgan

\setupindenting[medium,first]
\starttext

This paragraph is not indented. It becomes indented when I add the
(undocumented?) 'yes' option to \setupindenting.

\section{A section}

How to get this one indented (in the whole document)?

\stoptext

* Re: Indenting with ConTeXt
@ 2008-01-21 17:06 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-01-21 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Morgan,

On Jan 21, 2008 2:02 PM,  <morgan.brassel@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm very new to ConTeXt and I've got some (probably naive) questions about
> indenting.
>
> 1. According to the ConTeXt Excursion, using \setupindenting[medium] should lead
> to indented paragraph. And actually, at least for me, it doesn't... I saw
> examples on the wiki with \setupindenting[yes,medium]: this actually works, but
> the 'yes' option is not documented for the \setupindenting command on texshow.
> What am I missing here? Is the \indenting command needed even to indent the
> whole document? It is not what I understood from the Excursion...

The manuals are a little bit outdated and not every new feature and
change in the
setup is documented.

> 2. I have not been able to indent the first paragraph after a \section (or any
> other titling) command. Isn't it the role of the 'first' option for
> \setupindenting? Is a trick needed to have it work?

This is a feature, because the first paragraph after a section
shouldn't be intended
by default, you could change this with the following setups.

a. You want to enable indenting only for section commands.

\setuphead[section][indentnext=yes]

b. You want to enable indenting for all headers

\setupheads[indentnext=yes]

> Thanks in advance for your answers,
>
> Morgan
>

> \setupindenting[medium,first]
> \starttext
>
> This paragraph is not indented. It becomes indented when I add the
> (undocumented?) 'yes' option to \setupindenting.
>
> \section{A section}
>
> How to get this one indented (in the whole document)?
>
> \stoptext

Greetings,

Wolfgang

* Re: Indenting with ConTeXt
@ 2008-01-21 23:47   ` morgan.brassel
From: morgan.brassel @ 2008-01-21 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Selon Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:

> Hi Morgan,
>
> On Jan 21, 2008 2:02 PM,  <morgan.brassel@free.fr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm very new to ConTeXt and I've got some (probably naive) questions about
> > indenting.
> >
> > 1. According to the ConTeXt Excursion, using \setupindenting[medium] should
> lead
> > to indented paragraph. And actually, at least for me, it doesn't... I saw
> > examples on the wiki with \setupindenting[yes,medium]: this actually works,
> but
> > the 'yes' option is not documented for the \setupindenting command on
> texshow.
> > What am I missing here? Is the \indenting command needed even to indent the
> > whole document? It is not what I understood from the Excursion...
>
> The manuals are a little bit outdated and not every new feature and
> change in the
> setup is documented.

I see. So the 'yes' option is now a "true option" of \setupindenting?

> > 2. I have not been able to indent the first paragraph after a \section (or
> any
> > other titling) command. Isn't it the role of the 'first' option for
> > \setupindenting? Is a trick needed to have it work?
>
> This is a feature, because the first paragraph after a section
> shouldn't be intended
> by default, you could change this with the following setups.

In french documents, common usage is to indent every paragraphs, including those
following titles. Maybe this behaviour could be added in the \mainlanguage[fr]
command? I guess that babel does it in LaTeX when the frenchb option is chosen.

> a. You want to enable indenting only for section commands.
>
> \setuphead[section][indentnext=yes]
>
> b. You want to enable indenting for all headers
>
> \setupheads[indentnext=yes]

Thanks for this solution. This probably should be the default for french
documents...

> > Thanks in advance for your answers,
> >
> > Morgan
> >

> > \setupindenting[medium,first]
> > \starttext
> >
> > This paragraph is not indented. It becomes indented when I add the
> > (undocumented?) 'yes' option to \setupindenting.
> >
> > \section{A section}
> >
> > How to get this one indented (in the whole document)?
> >
> > \stoptext
>
> Greetings,
>
> Wolfgang

> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

* Re: Indenting with ConTeXt
@ 2008-01-22  0:04     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-01-22  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> \setupheads[indentnext=yes]
>
> Thanks for this solution. This probably should be the default for french
> documents...

  I concur; this is indeed the most common practice.

	Arthur

* Re: Indenting with ConTeXt
@ 2008-01-22  0:12       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-01-22  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>>> \setupheads[indentnext=yes]
>> Thanks for this solution. This probably should be the default for french
>> documents...
>
>   I concur; this is indeed the most common practice.

there will be no such defaults hardcoded in the format; of course there
can be a module s-french that set such things up

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE