From: Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
Subject: Re: Indenting (again!): a real problem in	indentnext=yes
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 09:26:38 +0100	[thread overview]

morgan.brassel@free.fr wrote:

> Sorry, I wasn't precise enough: I would like to indent paragraphs inside a block
> created with \defineenumeration (like theorems...), not inside an itemize block.
> The output in this latter case is indeed quite awful.

\defineenumeration[theorem][indenting=always]

This is actually easier to find, because it actually is documented
in texshow:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net/

> Every paragraph (preceded by an empty line or \par) in the "text flow" will get
> indented, independently of:
> * what is above (formula, float, etc)
> * what environment it belongs to (quote, theorem, abstract, etc.), as long as
> this environment doesn't need alignment (like itemize, tabular, etc.)
>
> Of course, "particular" objects like captions, tables, footnotes, won't be
> concerned by indenting.
>
> I hope my explanations were clear enough... If needed, I can write a small LaTeX
> example and send it to the list.

The thing is that the formal specification is not clearly defined,
not even if you mention all cases. _You_ may not want indented
footnotes, but _I_ have typeset a book that did.

And consider this:

   Text text text text
   \startquotation
     Quoted text quoted text
   \stopquotation
   Text text text text

is the next "Text" indented, yes or no? Whether this is a 'display' or
a standalone paragraph is very much up to the document designer.

In english mathematical texts, Theorems and such are often seen as a
kind of run-in header, so that "Theorem 1.  Text text text" is not
indented, but that usually does not apply to "Proof.  Text text text"
and "Remark 1.  Text text text": those usually _are_ indented.

I am being hesitant about a 'global switch' because I fear that any
automated solution only takes care of one particular set of settings,
and so does will really help that much and will become a documentation
nightmare. Imagine:

    The command \indentallparagraphs will  make sure that every
    paragraph in the document will get indented, regardless of its
    surroundings, with the following exceptions:

    * the bodies of the predefined floating objects figures, tables,
      intermezzos, graphics.
    * the bodies of the predefined footnotes & endnotes, and floating
      marginals
    * the contents of float captions
    * the paragraph following a \stopformula, if that formula is
      not preceded by \placeformula, and there is not empty line
      inbetween.
    * any itemgroups, enumerations, descriptions, floats etc. that
      were not predefined in the context core.
    * ...

I hope you see the problem with that. Even a simple command like

    \setupindentnext[yes]

does not work out-of-the-box, because you actually wanted

   \setupformulae[indentnext=auto] % not yes

As I said before, it may be much easier to put all this in a module
(by you, or someone else, but I guess you now have the list of desired
commands pretty much at hand?). Then you can say

    \usemodule[indentall]

and the context core would not have to think about all these border
cases.

Best wishes,
Taco