* week of wiki 1: call for "installation instructions"
@ 2008-02-06 14:50 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-02-06 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXt felows,

Wiki has been sleeping for a long time. Specifically, some topics
change considerably over time, but wiki pages do not, and so newbie
users are completely confused.

I would like to announce
  "The First Week of Wiki: Improving the Installation Instructions"
   http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Category:Installation

Take this page for example:
    http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeTeX_3.0_installation
It should more-or-less disapear (it may be left for historical reasons
in quarantine, but other than that, it should not confuse people!!!)

So, I have a little request: can we devote one week (or 10 days if
neded) for improvement of installation instructions? This means:
- improve a generic page (Installation) with links,  general notes
about dependencies (ruby, perl), general settings
(\useMPTEXgraphicstrue, \preloadtypescripts, write18, texexec --make
--all, ctxtools --updatecontext, ..), release notes
- three (or slightly more) main pages: Windows Installation, Mac
Installation, Linux Installation
- Linux Installation may have links to Debian Installation or to
Installation from source or similar, but we certainly do not need
dozens of different pages for the same thing (Debian TeXlive install,
Debian installation, TeX-live)
- an template for obsolete stuff (what to do with Aleph? - it's not
supported any more anyway)
Etc.

The topic to follow should probably be about fonts or hello world
documents. But we should start somewhere.

Mojca

PS: here is some statistics about the top 5 pages visited on the wiki:

/Main_Page 	14.96%
/Windows_Installation 	2.82%
/What_is_ConTeXt 	1.78%
/Special:Recentchanges 	1.75%
/First_Document 	1.44%

* Re: week of wiki 1: call for "installation instructions"
@ 2008-02-06 19:18 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-02-06 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-02-06 um 15:50 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> So, I have a little request: can we devote one week (or 10 days if
> neded) for improvement of installation instructions? This means:
> - improve a generic page (Installation) with links,  general notes
> about dependencies (ruby, perl), general settings
> (\useMPTEXgraphicstrue, \preloadtypescripts, write18, texexec --make
> --all, ctxtools --updatecontext, ..), release notes
> - three (or slightly more) main pages: Windows Installation, Mac
> Installation, Linux Installation

I just cleaned up the Mac page (it was really messy) and added a hint
to the minimal distribution - that page goes under the bad name of
"Linux_User_Installation". I guess we should rename that.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: week of wiki 1: call for "installation instructions"
@ 2008-02-06 19:46   ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2008-02-06 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Well done)

-a-

On 6 Feb 2008, at 20:18, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2008-02-06 um 15:50 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> So, I have a little request: can we devote one week (or 10 days if
>> neded) for improvement of installation instructions? This means:
>> - improve a generic page (Installation) with links,  general notes
>> about dependencies (ruby, perl), general settings
>> (\useMPTEXgraphicstrue, \preloadtypescripts, write18, texexec --make
>> --all, ctxtools --updatecontext, ..), release notes
>> - three (or slightly more) main pages: Windows Installation, Mac
>> Installation, Linux Installation
>
> I just cleaned up the Mac page (it was really messy) and added a hint
> to the minimal distribution - that page goes under the bad name of
> "Linux_User_Installation". I guess we should rename that.
>

> Greetlings from Lake Constance!
> Hraban
> ---
> http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
> https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
> _____________

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> http://www.myspace.com/andreavalle
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

"
Think of it as seasoning
. noise [salt] is boring
. F(blah) [food without salt] can be boring
. F(noise, blah) can be really tasty
"
(Ken Perlin on noise)

* Re: week of wiki 1: call for "installation instructions"
@ 2008-02-06 20:03   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-02-06 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 6, 2008 8:18 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:
> Am 2008-02-06 um 15:50 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
> > So, I have a little request: can we devote one week (or 10 days if
> > neded) for improvement of installation instructions? This means:
> > - improve a generic page (Installation) with links,  general notes
> > about dependencies (ruby, perl), general settings
> > (\useMPTEXgraphicstrue, \preloadtypescripts, write18, texexec --make
> > --all, ctxtools --updatecontext, ..), release notes
> > - three (or slightly more) main pages: Windows Installation, Mac
> > Installation, Linux Installation
>
> I just cleaned up the Mac page (it was really messy)

Great, thanks!

Now that I have seen a note about TeXShop, maybe a note about editors
(TextMate) or link to page with editors and viewers (Skim) would be in
place as well (at least a list of them).

> and added a hint
> to the minimal distribution - that page goes under the bad name of
> "Linux_User_Installation". I guess we should rename that.

True, Linux_User_Installation should be more general since it works
with any "unix".
I have alse created a page
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals, but that one needs to
be improved (too much junk on it - wiki pages need to be short and
clear, else nobody reads them).

Hans has not updated his distribution since August (which means that
there are still old binaries ond fonts) and we're working on improving
the new minimals at the moment. The good side of it is that it uses
rsync, and updates semi-automatically (binaries need to be rebuilt
manually, and many parts need to be improved), the bad side of it is
that if garden goes down, there is no backup server yet to fetch the
binaries from (and if the disk stops working, I will need quite some
time to get all the parts together again), and the structure might
still change a bit.

But the basic idea and the structure once the files are downloaded are
similar (we started building the minimals based more-or-less on the
same set of files as there are in Hans's minimals).

Mojca

* Re: week of wiki 1: call for "installation instructions"
@ 2008-02-06 20:37     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-02-06 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-02-06 um 21:03 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

>> I just cleaned up the Mac page (it was really messy)
> Now that I have seen a note about TeXShop, maybe a note about editors
> (TextMate) or link to page with editors and viewers (Skim) would be in
> place as well (at least a list of them).

Ok, I linked to Text_Editors - every further tool should be listed
there, not on the installation pages.

>> to the minimal distribution - that page goes under the bad name of
>> "Linux_User_Installation". I guess we should rename that.
> True, Linux_User_Installation should be more general since it works
> with any "unix".
> I have alse created a page
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Minimals, but that one needs to
> be improved (too much junk on it - wiki pages need to be short and
> clear, else nobody reads them).

I can't help with that - I use TeXlive, updated with "ctxtools --
updatecontext".

> Hans has not updated his distribution since August (which means that
> there are still old binaries ond fonts) and we're working on improving
> the new minimals at the moment. The good side of it is that it uses
> rsync, and updates semi-automatically (binaries need to be rebuilt
> manually, and many parts need to be improved), the bad side of it is
> that if garden goes down, there is no backup server yet to fetch the
> binaries from (and if the disk stops working, I will need quite some
> time to get all the parts together again), and the structure might
> still change a bit.

Ok, we (you?) should explain the relationship between the minimals
hosted at "pragma-ade.com/context/install/" (Linux_User_Installation)
and that on "minimals.contextgarden.net" (ConTeXt Minimals).

I could provide some space on my webserver as backup (how much do you
need?), but I'd prefer to get no too much public traffic.

@ 2008-02-06 20:40       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-02-06 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Ok, we (you?) should explain the relationship between the minimals
> hosted at "pragma-ade.com/context/install/" (Linux_User_Installation)
> and that on "minimals.contextgarden.net" (ConTeXt Minimals).
>
> I could provide some space on my webserver as backup (how much do you
> need?), but I'd prefer to get no too much public traffic.

I can run a peer on context.aanhet.net, no problem. We just need
a synchronisation protocol.

* Re: week of wiki 1: call for "installation instructions"
@ 2008-02-06 20:42       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-06 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Ok, we (you?) should explain the relationship between the minimals
> hosted at "pragma-ade.com/context/install/" (Linux_User_Installation)
> and that on "minimals.contextgarden.net" (ConTeXt Minimals).

as soon as everything is up and running, the minimals from our website
will go away (ok, i may consider zipped snapshots taken from the garden)

(i also need to make the cdwincontext etc)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE