* ConTeXt installation in Vista
@ 2008-02-07 16:04 Βασίλης Γκολφινόπουλος
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Βασίλης Γκολφινόπουλος @ 2008-02-07 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anybody installed ConTeXt in Windows Vista? I am running into problems.

Vassilis

* Re: ConTeXt installation in Vista
@ 2008-02-07 16:21 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-02-07 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 7, 2008 5:04 PM, Βασίλης Γκολφινόπουλος wrote:
> Has anybody installed ConTeXt in Windows Vista? I am running into problems.

*Which* ConTeXt? Where did you take it from? One option is to install
MikTeX (and that should work), the other one is to use the zips from
PRAGMA web page, and then at least two options to install the new
minimals found here:
    http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/

MikTeX is most user friendly, but you cannot use LuaTeX on it (yet).

I have no Vista, so I cannot say anything, but it should work - one
way or another.
But in any case: you should provide more info about what you did and
what went wrong. Else it's impossile to help.

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt installation in Vista
@ 2008-02-07 16:22 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-02-07 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Quoting ??????? ?????????????? <me01593@cc.uoi.gr>:

> Has anybody installed ConTeXt in Windows Vista? I am running into problems.

How are you trying to install it: MikTeX, TeXlive, ConTeXt minimals, or
ConTeXt standalone distribution. The easiest to install should be
ConTeXt standalone which is generated by Hans, and since Hans also uses
Vista, it should work on Vista.

Aditya

* Re: ConTeXt installation in Vista
@ 2008-02-07 16:24 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-07 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Βασίλης Γκολφινόπουλος wrote:
> Has anybody installed ConTeXt in Windows Vista? I am running into problems.

runs ok here on vista (already for quite a while)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-02-07 20:00   ` ?as???? G???f???p?????
From: ?as???? G???f???p????? @ 2008-02-07 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, I have to apologize for being so vague.

I tried to install proTEXT with the 2007 DVD. Installation invariably failed
whether I chose ConTeXt or proTEXT at the dialog box.

After that, I downloaded the standalone Windows distribution from the
Pragma-ADE site. It downloaded and extracted OK, and running cstart.bat
opens SciTE, as probably it should.

I have some way to go to typeset my first document, but I think I will
manage. I suppose there is no 'install' choise after this point. Again,
sorry for wasting some of your time. I had only used the simple OS X
installation with TeXShop so far.

Thanks,
Vassilis

@ 2008-02-07 20:24     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-02-07 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 7, 2008 9:00 PM, ?as???? G???f???p????? wrote:
> Ok, I have to apologize for being so vague.
>
> I tried to install proTEXT with the 2007 DVD. Installation invariably failed
> whether I chose ConTeXt or proTEXT at the dialog box.

TeX Live has been released befor Vista came out, and I have heard that
the installer (GUI) doesn't work properly (TeX itself could with some
tweaking).

If you don't need LuaTeX, you can try to install MikTeX (www.miktex.org)

> After that, I downloaded the standalone Windows distribution from the
> Pragma-ADE site. It downloaded and extracted OK, and running cstart.bat
> opens SciTE, as probably it should.

A few folders deeper there's a setuptex.bat.

You can launch
   setuptex.bat .
and then compile your documents with
   texexec filename
(but you may not leave the shell where you executed setuptex)

> I have some way to go to typeset my first document, but I think I will
> manage. I suppose there is no 'install' choise after this point.

One thing that you can try is this installer:
    http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/context-installer/ContextMinimalInstall.exe
That one will install ConTeXt, but has not been tested on Vista yet
(and is more experimental that MikTeX).

(When I last tried to use it, the scripts had problems generating
mptopdf formats, but that's not too critical.)

@ 2008-02-07 20:35       ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2008-02-07 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> One thing that you can try is this installer:
>     http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/context-installer/ContextMinimalInstall.exe
> That one will install ConTeXt, but has not been tested on Vista yet

I've got a spare Windows Vista Basic (ENG) in a corner somewhere, I can
try on that one so nobody has to mess up with a system they actually
need. Bugreports will probably be forthcoming within the next week. :)

...about time to start upgrading to MKIV anyway, I'm still running on
MKII as can't risk the installation on the main computer right now...

Mari

* Re: ConTeXt installation in Vista
@ 2008-02-07 20:48         ` Βασίλης Γκολφινόπουλος
From: Βασίλης Γκολφινόπουλος @ 2008-02-07 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried it and I get the Application Error: texlua.exe - the application
failed to inialize properly (0xc0000022).

@ 2008-02-07 21:01           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-02-07 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 7, 2008 9:48 PM, Βασίλης Γκολφινόπουλος wrote:
> I tried it and I get the Application Error: texlua.exe - the application
> failed to inialize properly (0xc0000022).

OK, that means that environment settings (the way it's done in the
installer) apparently have no effect on Vista.
You could teoretically try to set
    set CYGWIN=nontsec
somewhere globally, then it would work at the beginning at least, but
it probably wouldn't set the global variables properly anyway.

What I usually did was creating a file pragmatex.bat like
    C:\Programs\context\usr\local\context\tex\setuptex.bat
C:\Programs\context\usr\local\context\tex
and then called "pragmatex" to initialize the environment every time I
wanted to use it.

Mojca

Any bug reports welcome - but only Vyatcheslav knows how to solve the
ones with installer.

Mojca