* Problem with Portuguese hyphenation
@ 2008-02-15  4:20 Maurí­cio
From: Maurí­cio @ 2008-02-15  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

In Portuguese, the rule about hyphenating
word that contain hyphens themselves is to
preserve the hyphen in the next line. For
instance, the sentence "Seria bom se eu
pudesse tê-lo mantido como amigo, mas por
mais bem-intencionado que eu fosse, não
foi possivel" should be hyphenated like that
(justification adapted just for that example):

Seria bom se eu pudesse tê-
-lo mantido como amigo, mas por mais bem-
-intencionado que eu fosse, não foi possivel.

However, Context does that like this way:

Seria bom se eu pudesse tê-
lo mantido como amigo, mas por mais bem-
intencionado que eu fosse, não foi possivel"

What should I do to correct that?

Thanks,
Maurício

* Re: Problem with Portuguese hyphenation
@ 2008-02-15 10:52 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-02-15 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maurí­cio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Portuguese, the rule about hyphenating
> word that contain hyphens themselves is to
> preserve the hyphen in the next line. For
> instance, the sentence "Seria bom se eu
> pudesse tê-lo mantido como amigo, mas por
> mais bem-intencionado que eu fosse, não
> foi possivel" should be hyphenated like that
> (justification adapted just for that example):

Because there is no low-level support for this
in TeX, you will have to input such words as tê|_|lo.

Not very elegant, but it works.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Problem with Portuguese hyphenation
@ 2008-02-15 21:59   ` Maurí­cio
From: Maurí­cio @ 2008-02-15 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Maurí­cio wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In Portuguese, the rule about hyphenating
>> word that contain hyphens themselves is to
>> preserve the hyphen in the next line. (...)

> Because there is no low-level support for this
> in TeX, you will have to input such words as tê|_|lo.
> (...)

Interesting. What does |_| do? I tried to
search for it in Context wiki found no
references.

* Re: Problem with Portuguese hyphenation
@ 2008-02-16  9:33     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-02-16  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maurí­cio wrote:
>> Maurí­cio wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In Portuguese, the rule about hyphenating
>>> word that contain hyphens themselves is to
>>> preserve the hyphen in the next line. (...)
>
>> Because there is no low-level support for this
>> in TeX, you will have to input such words as tê|_|lo.
>> (...)
>
> Interesting. What does |_| do? I tried to
> search for it in Context wiki found no
> references.

I wrote a wiki page for you:

   http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Composed_words