* Adobe Reader, PNG transparency and colors
@ 2008-02-20  9:01 Michal Kvasnička
From: Michal Kvasnička @ 2008-02-20  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Hallo you all.

I found a strange problem. I create my slides with ConTeXt. Everything was
all right before I included pictures in PNG with transparent background.
Adobe Reader 8.1.2 under Linux (at least this one) changes colors on every
page where such a PNG is included. Xpdf shows it all right. I wonder what
could be the reason, and how to solve it. Can you hint me?

You can see the behavior here:
http://www.econ.muni.cz/~qasar/vyuka/inst/inst-slide01.pdf
Notice difference in colors between the 2nd and 3rd page (the 3rd one
includes PNG).

PNG are created with Gimp.
My ConTeXt is ver: 2008.01.28 21:28 MKII
pdfTeX is 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
TeXExec is version 6.2.0
All under openSuSE Linux 10.3.

When I start TeXExec, I got this warning:
  /usr/bin/texmfstart:1838: warning: Insecure world writable dir
/home/qasar/bin in PATH, mode 040777
  /usr/share/texmf/scripts/context/ruby/base/system.rb:16: warning: Insecure
world writable dir /home/qasar/bin in PATH, mode 040777
But I guess it has nothing to do with the color problem.

Many greetings to all of you, and thanks to those answering me. ;-)
Have a nice day.
M.K.

* Re: Adobe Reader, PNG transparency and colors
@ 2008-02-20  9:11 ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2008-02-20  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/2/20, Michal Kvasnička <prgosek@gmail.com>:
> pdfTeX is 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)

Update your pdftex. It's a bug we fixed in 1.40.6.

Best
   Martin

* Re: Adobe Reader, PNG transparency and colors
@ 2008-02-20 11:29   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-02-20 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 feb 2008, at 10:11, Martin Schröder wrote:

> 2008/2/20, Michal Kvasnička <prgosek@gmail.com>:
>> pdfTeX is 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>
> Update your pdftex. It's a bug we fixed in 1.40.6.
>
> Best
>   Martin

I compiled 1.40.6 on MacOSX-10.5.2 and found that the pdf it generated
was defective. Neither Adobe Reader nor TeXShop could read it.
Reverting to a fresh compile of 1.40.5 remedied that. Could it be that
the changes in 1.40.6 badly effect MacOSX users only?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: Adobe Reader, PNG transparency and colors
@ 2008-02-20 12:03     ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2008-02-20 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/2/20, Hans van der Meer <hansm@science.uva.nl>:
> I compiled 1.40.6 on MacOSX-10.5.2 and found that the pdf it generated
> was defective. Neither Adobe Reader nor TeXShop could read it.

Try 1.40.7. :-)

> Reverting to a fresh compile of 1.40.5 remedied that. Could it be that
> the changes in 1.40.6 badly effect MacOSX users only?

Maybe. 1.40.7 works for me on Linux. :-)

Best
   Martin

* Re: Adobe Reader, PNG transparency and colors
@ 2008-02-20 13:02       ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-02-20 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin,

Happy message. The error occurring in pdftex 1.40.6 apparently has
vanished in 1.40.7. Now pdf's are produced here on a simple testrun.

Hans van der Meer

@ 2008-02-20 15:10         ` Michal Kvasnička
From: Michal Kvasnička @ 2008-02-20 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Many thanks. Upgrade to 1.40.7 really solved my problem.

However, there seems to be one more strange thing (not that big): If I
include some transparent stuff on a light background (i.e. a metapost figure
on a light gray screen), there's a visible rectangle around it (on the
screen). Don't you what's the cause and how to solve it?

Many thans once more. And greetings to all.
M.

@ 2008-02-20 18:54           ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2008-02-20 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/2/20, Michal Kvasnička <prgosek@gmail.com>:
> However, there seems to be one more strange thing (not that big): If I
> include some transparent stuff on a light background (i.e. a metapost figure
> on a light gray screen), there's a visible rectangle around it (on the
> screen). Don't you what's the cause and how to solve it?

Probably a bug in Adobe Reader. We don't draw rectangles around
included images. :-)

Best
   Martin

* Re: Adobe Reader, PNG transparency and colors
@ 2008-02-20 19:56             ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-02-20 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-02-20 um 19:54 schrieb Martin Schröder:
>> However, there seems to be one more strange thing (not that big):
>> If I
>> include some transparent stuff on a light background (i.e. a
>> metapost figure
>> on a light gray screen), there's a visible rectangle around it (on
>> the
>> screen). Don't you what's the cause and how to solve it?
> Probably a bug in Adobe Reader. We don't draw rectangles around
> included images. :-)

Yes, it's unfortunately normal at least in Acrobat 7 and 8, also in
Apple's PDF viewer (in Preview, Mail etc.).
In my experience esp. transparent (or flattened) elements show a fine
white border - but if you zoom in, it stays the same fine line or
sometimes disappeares. And it never shows in print.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Adobe Reader, PNG transparency and colors
@ 2008-02-21  8:28               ` Michal Kvasnička
From: Michal Kvasnička @ 2008-02-21  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Many thanks for your answer.

>> If I include some transparent stuff on a light background (i.e. a
> >> metapost figure on a light gray screen), there's a visible rectangle
> around it (on
> >> the screen).

Yes, it's unfortunately normal at least in Acrobat 7 and 8, also in
> Apple's PDF viewer (in Preview, Mail etc.).
> In my experience esp. transparent (or flattened) elements show a fine
> white border - but if you zoom in, it stays the same fine line or
> sometimes disappeares. And it never shows in print.

However, what I meant was slightly different: not a tiny white line around
but a solid (full) rectangle with light gray background. You can see it
here: http://www.econ.muni.cz/~qasar/tmp/inst-slide02.pdf, page 3 (the ugly
background in the figure on the page 2 is my fault).

I guess the light gray background might be another bug in the AdobeReader,
since it's not visible in xpdf. However, I thought so with the previous bug
(it was visible in the AdobeReader, but not in the xpdf too), and it was
actually a bug in the pdfTeX.

Have you any idea what's wrong? (Well, this is much less annoying than the
previous problem.)

Many thanks and greeting from rainy Brno.
Michal

* Re: Adobe Reader, PNG transparency and colors
@ 2008-02-21  9:44                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-21  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Kvasnička wrote:
> Many thanks for your answer.
>
>>> If I include some transparent stuff on a light background (i.e. a
>> around it (on
> Yes, it's unfortunately normal at least in Acrobat 7 and 8, also in
>> Apple's PDF viewer (in Preview, Mail etc.).
>> In my experience esp. transparent (or flattened) elements show a fine
>> white border - but if you zoom in, it stays the same fine line or
>> sometimes disappeares. And it never shows in print.
>>

> However, what I meant was slightly different: not a tiny white line around
> but a solid (full) rectangle with light gray background. You can see it
> here: http://www.econ.muni.cz/~qasar/tmp/inst-slide02.pdf, page 3 (the ugly
> background in the figure on the page 2 is my fault).

isn't that alpha channel stuff? i never looked into that but your marx
picture does not have the gray background .. maybe compare the internals
of these graphics adn see what happens inside

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-02-21 10:08                   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-02-21 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
>> However, what I meant was slightly different: not a tiny white line around
>> but a solid (full) rectangle with light gray background. You can see it
>> here: http://www.econ.muni.cz/~qasar/tmp/inst-slide02.pdf, page 3 (the ugly
>> background in the figure on the page 2 is my fault).

I am looking at in in AR 7.0.8 on linux, and it looks fine, no weird
artifacts at all.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Adobe Reader, PNG transparency and colors
@ 2008-02-21 10:20                   ` Michal Kvasnička
From: Michal Kvasnička @ 2008-02-21 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oops. You've seen my Marx pictures. I'm ashamed I was caught. :-( (Well, no,
I'm not a Marxist.) :-)

I think the alpha channel is not the cause, since I can see the light gray
rectangles under the MetaPost figures, not under PNG with transparency. I
don't know how precisely the transparency is done in the MetaPost, but I
guess there is no background under curves and shapes I draw in the MetaPost.
At least there is nothing visible in the figure on the page 10 of
http://www.econ.muni.cz/~qasar/tmp/inst-slide02.pdf. However, some
background is visible under all MetaPost figures on pages 3 to 6. The
background under the figures is different from the background around them.
Or don't you see it? Then it might be a problem just under some versions of
the AdobeReader, perhaps only under Linux.

Many thanks for your answers. Have a nice day.
Michal

@ 2008-02-21 11:26                     ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2008-02-21 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/2/21, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>:
> I am looking at in in AR 7.0.8 on linux, and it looks fine, no weird
>  artifacts at all.

Same here with AR 8.1.2 @ Linux.

Best
   Martin

* Re: Adobe Reader, PNG transparency and colors
@ 2008-02-21 12:04                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-21 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Kvasnička wrote:
> Oops. You've seen my Marx pictures. I'm ashamed I was caught. :-( (Well, no,
> I'm not a Marxist.) :-)

well, there is nothing wrong with being a marxist; it's the
implementation that matters / makes the difference -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE