* ini -> C -> lua -> context -> pdf
@ 2008-02-22  8:26 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-02-22  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hello,

I have to convert an "ini"-file to pdf. On the one hand, it's easy for me
to do most things in C, on the other hand, I would like to enlarge my
experience with lua and ConTeXt.

So here my question to the experts: what languages would you use for the
different tasks?

In fact, I believe lua could do a good job for some tasks, but I'm not
really sure.

Here the details:

Example "ini"-file with 2 entries (the real file has about 200 entries):

[temp_room]
comment = the room temperature in °C
description = This value must be sent at least once per 15 minutes, \
			but only if a local sensor is connected to the device.
size = 16
channel = master
fb = RTS
dpt = 2.009
dir = o

[power]
comment = the actual power available in %
description = This value is only used to calculate the energy \
			consumption.
size = 8
channel = slave
fb = HVA
dpt = 4.307
dir = i

The tasks:
- put theses entries into a structured table (easy to do in C and the
  iniparser library http://ndevilla.free.fr/iniparser/ but it could be nice
  to do it in lua)
- sorting (several PDF-documents with different sorting: by name, size,
  channel or other values)
- filtering, for example _ must be converted to \_ and % to \% (same
  question: C, lua or ConTeXt)
- formatting with nice layout (certainly with ConTeXt)

For example, the first entry could become:

1.) temp_room, the room temperature in °C
|   Master  |   RTS   |  Output with datapoint type 2.009 (16 bits)  |
|___________|_________|______________________________________________|

This value must be sent at least once per 15 minutes, but only if a
local sensor is connected to the device.

(Until now, I've coded just one line of lua-code in my life...)

Perhaps, with your help, the subject line could become:
ini -> MKIV -> pdf

Thanks in advance for any hints and encouragements!
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: ini -> C -> lua -> context -> pdf
@ 2008-02-22 10:19 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-22 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Peter Münster wrote:

> - put theses entries into a structured table (easy to do in C and the
>   iniparser library http://ndevilla.free.fr/iniparser/ but it could be nice
>   to do it in lua)

this kind of parsing is rather trival in lua

> - sorting (several PDF-documents with different sorting: by name, size,
>   channel or other values)

sorting is also easy

> - filtering, for example _ must be converted to \_ and % to \% (same
>   question: C, lua or ConTeXt)

depends, if the font has _ no conversion is needed (otf fonts have this)

> - formatting with nice layout (certainly with ConTeXt)

ini parsing ... look into string.find; loop over the lines and triugger
on [...] and ...=...

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ini -> C -> lua -> context -> pdf
@ 2008-02-22 18:49   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-02-22 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Feb 22 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:

> > - filtering, for example _ must be converted to \_ and % to \% (same
> >   question: C, lua or ConTeXt)
>
> depends, if the font has _ no conversion is needed (otf fonts have this)

Since I'm using MKIV, I think the default font should be the lm otf
version, isn't it?
What setup is needed, to make "_" behave like a real underscore?

> ini parsing ... look into string.find; loop over the lines and triugger
> on [...] and ...=...

Thanks, I've spent some minutes today looking into the string, io and table
libraries, and indeed lua looks very powerful.
Perhaps, this will result in a module.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: ini -> C -> lua -> context -> pdf
@ 2008-02-22 20:14     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-02-22 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Quoting Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr>:

> On Fri, Feb 22 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> > - filtering, for example _ must be converted to \_ and % to \% (same
>> >   question: C, lua or ConTeXt)
>>
>> depends, if the font has _ no conversion is needed (otf fonts have this)
>
> Since I'm using MKIV, I think the default font should be the lm otf
> version, isn't it?
> What setup is needed, to make "_" behave like a real underscore?

\nonknuthmode (and there is \donknuthmode to get the default behaviour)

Aditya

* Re: ini -> C -> lua -> context -> pdf
@ 2008-02-22 20:48     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-22 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>> - filtering, for example _ must be converted to \_ and % to \% (same
>>>   question: C, lua or ConTeXt)
>> depends, if the font has _ no conversion is needed (otf fonts have this)
>
> Since I'm using MKIV, I think the default font should be the lm otf
> version, isn't it?
> What setup is needed, to make "_" behave like a real underscore?

\nonknuthmode

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE