* old-style numerals and .
@ 2008-02-23  3:03 Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2008-02-23  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I tried switching to nice old-style numerals for a table of contents,
and found to my chagrin that the periods in the numbers, such as the "."
in "2.3", get typeset as triangles.  You can see the result (verified on
the live context in the garden) with

  \starttext
  {\os 2.3}
  \stoptext

What's going on?  How can I get periods rather than triangles?

Thanks,

Jesse

--
Jesse Alama (alama@stanford.edu)

* Re: old-style numerals and .
@ 2008-02-23  5:06 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-02-23  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:03:12 -0700, Jesse Alama <alama@stanford.edu> wrote:

> I tried switching to nice old-style numerals for a table of contents,
> and found to my chagrin that the periods in the numbers, such as the "."
> in "2.3", get typeset as triangles.  You can see the result (verified on
> the live context in the garden) with
>
>   \starttext
>   {\os 2.3}
>   \stoptext
>
> What's going on?  How can I get periods rather than triangles?

If you are using pdfTeX, you have to switch to an encoding that uses
oldstyle numerals. This is because the knuthian font with oldstyle is a
special, not general purpose, font, and has triangles where the period
would be etc. You have to activate oldstyle globally for any but the most
narrow purposes.

Something like the following

\usetypescript[modern-base][texnansi]  % a simplified latin-modern
typescript
\usetypescript [map]   [latin-modern-os] [texnansi]
\setupbodyfont[reset]
\setupbodyfont[modern,11pt]

used to work in mkii (pdftex + context) but I don't know if it still does
-- mkii support for oldstyle has not been a stable feature (due to the
changes from cm to lm): I had to recalibrate every couple of years or so.
So try and see.

If you use luatex then there are a couple of ways to activate it -- see
this thread

http://archive.contextgarden.net/thread/20080102.025610.93a30bce.en.html#20080102.025610.93a30bce

http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080102.025610.93a30bce.en.html

% engine=luatex

\definefontfeature
[oldstyle]
[mode=node,language=dflt,script=latn,onum=yes,tnum=yes]

\setfontfeature{oldstyle}

\starttext

1234567890

\stoptext

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: old-style numerals and .
@ 2008-02-24 20:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-24 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesse Alama wrote:
> I tried switching to nice old-style numerals for a table of contents,
> and found to my chagrin that the periods in the numbers, such as the "."
> in "2.3", get typeset as triangles.  You can see the result (verified on
> the live context in the garden) with
>
>   \starttext
>   {\os 2.3}
>   \stoptext
>
> What's going on?  How can I get periods rather than triangles?

use a real font instead of picking up oldstyle numerals from a math font

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: old-style numerals and .
@ 2008-02-28  0:29   ` Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2008-02-28  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Idris Samawi Hamid" <ishamid@colostate.edu> writes:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:03:12 -0700, Jesse Alama <alama@stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>> I tried switching to nice old-style numerals for a table of contents,
>> and found to my chagrin that the periods in the numbers, such as the "."
>> in "2.3", get typeset as triangles.  You can see the result (verified on
>> the live context in the garden) with
>>
>>   \starttext
>>   {\os 2.3}
>>   \stoptext
>>
>> What's going on?  How can I get periods rather than triangles?
>
> If you are using pdfTeX, you have to switch to an encoding that uses
> oldstyle numerals. This is because the knuthian font with oldstyle is a
> special, not general purpose, font, and has triangles where the period
> would be etc. You have to activate oldstyle globally for any but the most
> narrow purposes.
>
> Something like the following
>
> \usetypescript[modern-base][texnansi]  % a simplified latin-modern
> typescript
> \usetypescript [map]   [latin-modern-os] [texnansi]
> \setupbodyfont[reset]
> \setupbodyfont[modern,11pt]
>
> used to work in mkii (pdftex + context) but I don't know if it still does
> -- mkii support for oldstyle has not been a stable feature (due to the
> changes from cm to lm): I had to recalibrate every couple of years or so.
> So try and see.

It looks like this is more complicated than I thought.  What would I do
if I wanted old-style numerals just for a table of contents?  Currently,
my table of contents is set up like so:

  \setupcombinedlist[content][alternative=c,numberstyle={\os},pagestyle={\os}]

This produces the triangles for periods, and I think I understand why
that is so.  What value should go in for the numberstyle key to enable
old-style numerals just for the table of contents?

Thanks,

Jesse

--

@ 2008-02-28  1:37     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-02-28  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:29:42 -0700, Jesse Alama <alama@stanford.edu> wrote:

>> Something like the following
>>
>> \usetypescript[modern-base][texnansi]  % a simplified latin-modern
>> typescript
>> \usetypescript [map]   [latin-modern-os] [texnansi]
>> \setupbodyfont[reset]
>> \setupbodyfont[modern,11pt]
>>
>> used to work in mkii (pdftex + context) but I don't know if it still
>> does
>> -- mkii support for oldstyle has not been a stable feature (due to the
>> changes from cm to lm): I had to recalibrate every couple of years or
>> so.
>> So try and see.
>
> It looks like this is more complicated than I thought.  What would I do
> if I wanted old-style numerals just for a table of contents?  Currently,
> my table of contents is set up like so:
>
>   \setupcombinedlist[content][alternative=c,numberstyle={\os},pagestyle={\os}]
>
> This produces the triangles for periods, and I think I understand why
> that is so.  What value should go in for the numberstyle key to enable
> old-style numerals just for the table of contents?

In that case you'll have to switch fonts for the TOC. So you still need to
have a font setup that supports os, then switch to that font for the TOC.
For example, if you can define a latin modern typeface that uses the
oldstyle numerals, then \switchtotypeface[my-lm] in your TOC setup.

As I mentioned before I'm not sure what the present protocol is for
setting up an oldstyle LM typeface in mkii. Basically you want something
like

%% THIS IS ONLY AN ILLUSTRATION!!!
\starttypescript [LModern-OS]
\definebodyfontenvironment
   [lmodern-os]
   [default]
   [interlinespace=2.8ex]

\definetypeface [lmodern-os] [rm] [serif] [lmodern-os] 	[latin-modern-os]
[texnansi]
\stoptypescript
%% THIS IS ONLY AN ILLUSTRATION!!!

but maybe someone on the list knows the exact protocol. Then you can do
\usetypescript[LModern-OS] in your preamble and
\switchtotypeface[lmodern-os] where you need it.

Once the final move to mkiv is made this will all be much easier...