* new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-26 14:59 Hans Hagen
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-26 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a beta release. The biggest change is that image inclusion in
mkiv has changed. Currently it's still some mix of tex and lua code, and
the backend code is somewhat messy (and not complete yet) but it's a
first step towards lua doing things. This will only work with a e recent
luatex.

The advantage is that file searching in lua is more robust (and when
many search paths are used, also faster). Image conversion has been
moved to lua too, but currently still uses pdftops (also for svg) but
that may move to lua as well. Figure libraries are supported by default
now.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-26 19:58 ` Wolfgang Schuster
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-02-26 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:59:06 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a beta release. The biggest change is that image inclusion in
> mkiv has changed. Currently it's still some mix of tex and lua code, and
> the backend code is somewhat messy (and not complete yet) but it's a
> first step towards lua doing things. This will only work with a e recent
> luatex.
>
> The advantage is that file searching in lua is more robust (and when
> many search paths are used, also faster). Image conversion has been
> moved to lua too, but currently still uses pdftops (also for svg) but
> that may move to lua as well. Figure libraries are supported by default
> now.

I testes just a few short examples and noticed the following things:

1. XeTeX has two problems with the greep pattern files (lang-agr.pat).

(c:/w32tex/share/texmf-local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
! Nonletter.
l.1486 ß╝Ç2╬¢1¤ë╬┤¤àß┐¢

?
! Nonletter.
l.2327 ß╝É3¤â2╬┐¤àß┐¢

?

2. Subpagenumbering did no work with MKIV but you forgot to add
   "\let\immediatesavetwopassdata\savetwopassdata"
   to core-two.mkii

Greetings,

Wolfgang

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-26 20:46   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-02-26 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-02-26 um 20:58 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
> I testes just a few short examples and noticed the following things:
> 1. XeTeX has two problems with the greep pattern files (lang-agr.pat).
>
> (c:/w32tex/share/texmf-local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
> ! Nonletter.
> l.1486 ß╝Ç2╬¢1¤ë╬┤¤àß┐¢

The same with pdfTeX, as reported before, twice.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-26 20:55     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-02-26 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 21:46:30 +0100
Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:

> Am 2008-02-26 um 20:58 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
> > I testes just a few short examples and noticed the following things:
> > 1. XeTeX has two problems with the greep pattern files (lang-agr.pat).
> >
> > (c:/w32tex/share/texmf-local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
> > ! Nonletter.
> > l.1486 ß╝Ç2╬¢1¤ë╬┤¤àß┐¢
>
> The same with pdfTeX, as reported before, twice.

Not for me, this did only happen with XeTeX.

Greetings,
Wolfgang

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-26 21:26   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-26 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:59:06 +0100
> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I uploaded a beta release. The biggest change is that image inclusion in
>> mkiv has changed. Currently it's still some mix of tex and lua code, and
>> the backend code is somewhat messy (and not complete yet) but it's a
>> first step towards lua doing things. This will only work with a e recent
>> luatex.
>>
>> The advantage is that file searching in lua is more robust (and when
>> many search paths are used, also faster). Image conversion has been
>> moved to lua too, but currently still uses pdftops (also for svg) but
>> that may move to lua as well. Figure libraries are supported by default
>> now.
>
> I testes just a few short examples and noticed the following things:
>

> 1. XeTeX has two problems with the greep pattern files (lang-agr.pat).
>
> (c:/w32tex/share/texmf-local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
> ! Nonletter.
> l.1486 ß╝Ç2╬¢1¤ë╬┤¤àß┐¢
>
> ?
> ! Nonletter.
> l.2327 ß╝É3¤â2╬┐¤àß┐¢
>
> ?

in syst-xtx add:

% patch needed for greek

\setcclcucx 1FFD 1FFD 1FFD

messy ... it's a modifier, not a letter

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-26 21:27     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-26 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2008-02-26 um 20:58 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>> I testes just a few short examples and noticed the following things:
>> 1. XeTeX has two problems with the greep pattern files (lang-agr.pat).
>>
>> (c:/w32tex/share/texmf-local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
>> ! Nonletter.
>> l.1486 ß╝Ç2╬¢1¤ë╬┤¤àß┐¢
>
> The same with pdfTeX, as reported before, twice.

hm, pdftex compiles ok here

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-26 22:41       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-02-26 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-02-26 um 22:27 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> Am 2008-02-26 um 20:58 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>>> 1. XeTeX has two problems with the greep pattern files (lang-
>>> agr.pat).
>>> (c:/w32tex/share/texmf-local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
>>> ! Nonletter.
>>> l.1486 ß╝Ç2╬¢1¤ë╬┤¤àß┐¢
>> The same with pdfTeX, as reported before, twice.
> hm, pdftex compiles ok here

I guess, you said that last time, too.
Can you give me any hints at what I should look on my side?
If I delete that pat file, everything runs through; if it comes back
with the next update, it stops again.
Is my pdfTeX too old (Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6) on OSX
10.4)?

@ 2008-02-26 22:54         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-02-26 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2008-02-26 um 22:27 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>> Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>> The same with pdfTeX, as reported before, twice.
>> hm, pdftex compiles ok here
>
> I guess, you said that last time, too.
> Can you give me any hints at what I should look on my side?
> If I delete that pat file, everything runs through; if it comes back
> with the next update, it stops again.
> Is my pdfTeX too old (Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6) on OSX
> 10.4)?

I can create pdftex formats from the latest beta, using pdftex which is
almost same as yours (on Ubuntu Hardy)

pdftex -v
pdfTeX using libpoppler 3.141592-1.40.3-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea version 3.5.6
Copyright 2007 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea is copyright 2007 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfTeX using libpoppler copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the pdfTeX using libpoppler source.
Primary author of pdfTeX using libpoppler: Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han
The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and others.

Compiled with libpng 1.2.15beta5; using libpng 1.2.15beta5
Compiled with zlib 1.2.3.3; using zlib 1.2.3.3
Compiled with libpoppler version 3.00

Aditya

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27  0:47   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-02-27  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 8:58 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>  1. XeTeX has two problems with the greep pattern files (lang-agr.pat).
>
>  (c:/w32tex/share/texmf-local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
>  ! Nonletter.
>  l.1486 ß╝Ç2╬¢1¤ë╬┤¤àß┐¢
>
>  ?
>  ! Nonletter.
>  l.2327 ß╝É3¤â2╬┐¤àß┐¢
>
>  ?
(/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
! Nonletter.
l.1486 ἀ2ν1ωδυ´

The problematic pattern seems to be
    ἀ2ν1ωδυ´
but its source (line 1194 of grahyph4.tex) is
    >a2n1wdu'
and the other source of problems seems to be in line 2739 of grahyph4.tex:
    >e3s2ou'

I don't understand - what does an accent do at the end of the word in
patterns anyway? Does the accent at the end hold any special meaning?
Or should it be ignored? Fixed in original file perhaps?

Mojca

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27  2:33     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-02-27  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Thank you Mojca, it seems to make sense all of a sudden: I think those
two accents are simply a mistake, and we should replace the <upsilon, accent>
sequence by the appropriate Unicode character.  That's what Alexej Kryukov
has done in his antomega package (see lines 1271 and 1816 of TeX Live's
texmf-dist/tex/lambda/antomega/ograhyph4.tex).  Thomas?

> (/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat

  Do you really install the ConTeXt minimals directly in your root
directory?  ;-)

	Arthur

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27  5:50       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-02-27  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 27, 2008, at 3:33 AM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

>  Thank you Mojca, it seems to make sense all of a sudden: I think
> those
> two accents are simply a mistake, and we should replace the
> <upsilon, accent>
> sequence by the appropriate Unicode character.  That's what Alexej
> Kryukov
> has done in his antomega package (see lines 1271 and 1816 of TeX
> Live's
> texmf-dist/tex/lambda/antomega/ograhyph4.tex).  Thomas?

That was my guess too, and I simply remapped those two patterns. They
are simple typos:

> l. 1739 >e3s2ou': should have been >e3s2o'u
> l. 1194 >a2n1wdu': should have been >a2n1wd'u

With the nifty remap feature, we can just substitute the correct value.

Thanks for investigating!

Thomas

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27  8:44 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-02-27  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 26, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a beta release. The biggest change is that image
> inclusion in
> mkiv has changed. Currently it's still some mix of tex and lua code,
> and
> the backend code is somewhat messy (and not complete yet) but it's a
> first step towards lua doing things. This will only work with a e
> recent
> luatex.

Hi Hans,

there appears to be a bug in the new image inclusion: my images are
only found when I give the extension explicitly. So this does work:

\externalfigure[aegean.png]

while this doesn't:

\externalfigure[aegean]

(Glad I don't have to write about Greek patterns for a change...)

Thomas

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27  8:54     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-27  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 8:58 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>  1. XeTeX has two problems with the greep pattern files (lang-agr.pat).
>>
>>  (c:/w32tex/share/texmf-local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
>>  ! Nonletter.
>>  l.1486 ß╝Ç2╬¢1¤ë╬┤¤àß┐¢
>>
>>  ?
>>  ! Nonletter.
>>  l.2327 ß╝É3¤â2╬┐¤àß┐¢
>>
>>  ?
> (/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
> ! Nonletter.
> l.1486 ἀ2ν1ωδυ´
>
> The problematic pattern seems to be
>     ἀ2ν1ωδυ´
> but its source (line 1194 of grahyph4.tex) is
>     >a2n1wdu'
> and the other source of problems seems to be in line 2739 of grahyph4.tex:
>     >e3s2ou'
>
> I don't understand - what does an accent do at the end of the word in
> patterns anyway? Does the accent at the end hold any special meaning?
> Or should it be ignored? Fixed in original file perhaps?

the original patterns are buggeds, so in ctxtools (where we generate the
utf patterns used by context) we do some 'corrections' and it seems that
we have to do even more of them (btw, the original patterns are meant
for specific 8 bit encodings)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27 10:55   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-27 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I uploaded a beta release. The biggest change is that image
>> inclusion in
>> mkiv has changed. Currently it's still some mix of tex and lua code,
>> and
>> the backend code is somewhat messy (and not complete yet) but it's a
>> first step towards lua doing things. This will only work with a e
>> recent
>> luatex.
>>

> Hi Hans,
>
> there appears to be a bug in the new image inclusion: my images are
> only found when I give the extension explicitly. So this does work:
>
> \externalfigure[aegean.png]
>
> while this doesn't:
>
> \externalfigure[aegean]
>
> (Glad I don't have to write about Greek patterns for a change...)

glad that you test this ...

new beta

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27 11:04     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-02-27 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 27, 2008, at 11:55 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> On Feb 26, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I uploaded a beta release. The biggest change is that image
>>> inclusion in
>>> mkiv has changed. Currently it's still some mix of tex and lua code,
>>> and
>>> the backend code is somewhat messy (and not complete yet) but it's a
>>> first step towards lua doing things. This will only work with a e
>>> recent
>>> luatex.
>>>

>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> there appears to be a bug in the new image inclusion: my images are
>> only found when I give the extension explicitly. So this does work:
>>
>> \externalfigure[aegean.png]
>>
>> while this doesn't:
>>
>> \externalfigure[aegean]
>>
>> (Glad I don't have to write about Greek patterns for a change...)
>
> glad that you test this ...
>
> new beta
>
> Hans

Excellent, now it works! Thanks for the quick fix.

Thomas

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27 14:10       ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-02-27 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> new beta

  The Greek patterns look better now, but you should probably add
ἀ2ν1ωδύ and ἐ3σ2ού (where the last character is U+03CD GREEK SMALL
LETTER UPSILON WITH TONOS and not U+1F7B GREEK SMALL LETTER UPSILON WITH
OXIA).  This makes a duplicate entry for these patterns, but all the
other patterns with oxia are duplicated as well.

	Arthur

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27 19:46 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-02-27 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a beta release. The biggest change is that image inclusion in
> mkiv has changed. Currently it's still some mix of tex and lua code, and
> the backend code is somewhat messy (and not complete yet) but it's a
> first step towards lua doing things. This will only work with a e recent
> luatex.

Which version of luatex is needed? I have

This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.20.2-2008011414

and while generating formats, I get

! LuaTeX error /home/adityam/texmf/tex/context/base/core-inc.lua:85:
attempt to index global 'img' (a nil value).
\ctxluabytecode ...ode " .. "#1" .. str) end end }

\registerctxluafile ...{\the \luabytecodecounter }
                                                   \fi \fi
l.14 \registerctxluafile{core-inc}{1.001}

Aditya

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27 19:57   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-02-27 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Aditya,

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:46:46 -0700, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
wrote:

> Which version of luatex is needed? I have
>
> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.20.2-2008011414
>
> and while generating formats, I get
>
> ! LuaTeX error /home/adityam/texmf/tex/context/base/core-inc.lua:85:
> attempt to index global 'img' (a nil value).
> \ctxluabytecode ...ode " .. "#1" .. str) end end }
>
> \registerctxluafile ...{\the \luabytecodecounter }
>                                                    \fi \fi
> l.14 \registerctxluafile{core-inc}{1.001}

Get the latest, 0.22.1

http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/luatex/

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27 19:58   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-27 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I uploaded a beta release. The biggest change is that image inclusion in
>> mkiv has changed. Currently it's still some mix of tex and lua code, and
>> the backend code is somewhat messy (and not complete yet) but it's a
>> first step towards lua doing things. This will only work with a e recent
>> luatex.
>
> Which version of luatex is needed? I have
>
> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.20.2-2008011414

you need a real fresh one ... img was added recently

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27 20:11     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-02-27 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> Hi Aditya,
>
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:46:46 -0700, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Which version of luatex is needed? I have
>>
>> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.20.2-2008011414
>>
>> and while generating formats, I get
>>
>> ! LuaTeX error /home/adityam/texmf/tex/context/base/core-inc.lua:85:
>> attempt to index global 'img' (a nil value).
>> \ctxluabytecode ...ode " .. "#1" .. str) end end }
>>
>> \registerctxluafile ...{\the \luabytecodecounter }
>>                                                    \fi \fi
>> l.14 \registerctxluafile{core-inc}{1.001}
>
> Get the latest, 0.22.1
>
> http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/luatex/

I downloaded the svn source, compiled by running build.sh and copied
luatex into the bin directory and created synlinks for texlua and texluac.

Now I get

! LuaTeX error /home/adityam/texmf/tex/context/base/core-inc.lua:213:
attempt to call method 'tohash' (a nil value).
\setfigurepathlist ...cation ","\@@exdirectory ")}

l.511    \c!location={\v!local,\v!global}]

Aditya

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27 20:13       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-27 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>
>> Hi Aditya,
>>
>> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 12:46:46 -0700, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Which version of luatex is needed? I have
>>>
>>> This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.20.2-2008011414
>>>
>>> and while generating formats, I get
>>>
>>> ! LuaTeX error /home/adityam/texmf/tex/context/base/core-inc.lua:85:
>>> attempt to index global 'img' (a nil value).
>>> \ctxluabytecode ...ode " .. "#1" .. str) end end }
>>>
>>> \registerctxluafile ...{\the \luabytecodecounter }
>>>                                                    \fi \fi
>>> l.14 \registerctxluafile{core-inc}{1.001}
>> Get the latest, 0.22.1
>>
>> http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/luatex/
>
> I downloaded the svn source, compiled by running build.sh and copied
> luatex into the bin directory and created synlinks for texlua and texluac.
>
> Now I get

> ! LuaTeX error /home/adityam/texmf/tex/context/base/core-inc.lua:213:
> attempt to call method 'tohash' (a nil value).
> \setfigurepathlist ...cation ","\@@exdirectory ")}
>
> l.511    \c!location={\v!local,\v!global}]

should be defined in l-table.lua

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27 20:30         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-02-27 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Aditya,

>>> Get the latest, 0.22.1
>>>
>>> http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/luatex/
>>
>> I downloaded the svn source, compiled by running build.sh and copied
>> luatex into the bin directory and created synlinks for texlua and texluac.
>>
>> Now I get

>> ! LuaTeX error /home/adityam/texmf/tex/context/base/core-inc.lua:213:
>> attempt to call method 'tohash' (a nil value).
>> \setfigurepathlist ...cation ","\@@exdirectory ")}
>>
>> l.511    \c!location={\v!local,\v!global}]
>
> should be defined in l-table.lua

It is, I probably messed up something while doing a manual update of the
binaries.

Aditya

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27 21:18   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-02-27 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:44:32 +0100
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I uploaded a beta release. The biggest change is that image
> > inclusion in
> > mkiv has changed. Currently it's still some mix of tex and lua code,
> > and
> > the backend code is somewhat messy (and not complete yet) but it's a
> > first step towards lua doing things. This will only work with a e
> > recent
> > luatex.
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> there appears to be a bug in the new image inclusion: my images are
> only found when I give the extension explicitly. So this does work:
>
> \externalfigure[aegean.png]
>
> while this doesn't:
>
> \externalfigure[aegean]
>
> (Glad I don't have to write about Greek patterns for a change...)
>
> Thomas

Hi Hans,

there is also another bug in combination with floats.

\starttext

\placefigure
  {A black rule}
  {\blackrule}

\stoptext

The extra number after the float is insert by "\dofloatinfomessage" in
page-flt.tex and this did happen because you added the \setmessagetext
in the last beta and the command has only two parameters, not three as
use below.

\def\dofloatinfomessage#1#2#3%
  {\bgroup
   \showmessage\m!floatblocks{#2}{#3}%
   \setmessagetext\m!floatblocks{#2}{#3}%
   \@EA\floatinfo\@EA#1\@EA{\currentmessagetext}%
   \egroup}

Wolfgang

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-02-27 22:04     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-27 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> The extra number after the float is insert by "\dofloatinfomessage" in
> page-flt.tex and this did happen because you added the \setmessagetext
> in the last beta and the command has only two parameters, not three as
> use below.

ok, fixed

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new mkiv beta
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-02-28 20:27 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-02-28 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:59:06 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a beta release. The biggest change is that image inclusion in
> mkiv has changed. Currently it's still some mix of tex and lua code, and
> the backend code is somewhat messy (and not complete yet) but it's a
> first step towards lua doing things. This will only work with a e recent
> luatex.
>
> The advantage is that file searching in lua is more robust (and when
> many search paths are used, also faster). Image conversion has been
> moved to lua too, but currently still uses pdftops (also for svg) but
> that may move to lua as well. Figure libraries are supported by default
> now.

Hi Hans,

I tried my example for nested section environments with mkiv xml setup
and noticed it is broken again :-(

Wolfgang

* Re: new mkiv beta
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-03-02 18:21 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-03-02 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a beta release. The biggest change is that image inclusion in
> mkiv has changed. Currently it's still some mix of tex and lua code, and
> the backend code is somewhat messy (and not complete yet) but it's a
> first step towards lua doing things. This will only work with a e recent
> luatex.
>
> The advantage is that file searching in lua is more robust (and when
> many search paths are used, also faster). Image conversion has been
> moved to lua too, but currently still uses pdftops (also for svg) but
> that may move to lua as well. Figure libraries are supported by default
> now.

this is good news. :)

the bad news is, that figure libraries are currently broken in mkiv
(beta from 29.2). i'll make a minimal example.

peter

> Hans

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: new mkiv beta
@ 2008-03-02 18:27   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-03-02 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hans Hagen schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I uploaded a beta release. The biggest change is that image inclusion in
>> mkiv has changed. Currently it's still some mix of tex and lua code, and
>> the backend code is somewhat messy (and not complete yet) but it's a
>> first step towards lua doing things. This will only work with a e recent
>> luatex.
>>
>> The advantage is that file searching in lua is more robust (and when
>> many search paths are used, also faster). Image conversion has been
>> moved to lua too, but currently still uses pdftops (also for svg) but
>> that may move to lua as well. Figure libraries are supported by default
>> now.
>>
> this is good news. :)
>
> the bad news is, that figure libraries are currently broken in mkiv
> (beta from 29.2). i'll make a minimal example.

ok; btw, don't load fig library modules!, it's supposed to work by
default; loaded libraries probably spoil the game

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE