* hz and protrusion
@ 2008-02-15 18:08 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-15 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

The latest luatex beta + mkiv support hz and protruding. The user
interface will be extended a bit, but for the moment it goes as follows:

% engine=luatex

% \setupfontexpansion [quality][stretch=2.5,shrink=2.5,step=.5,factor=1]

\setupfontexpansion[oeps][a=1,b=2]

\setuptolerance[verytolerant,stretch] \showframe

\starttext

\definefontfeature[demo][default][mode=node,expansion=quality,protrusion=pure]

\start
     \definedfont[Serif*demo at 12pt]           \enableadjusting
\enableprotruding \input tufte \par
    %\definedfont[name:optimanova*demo at 12pt] \enableadjusting
\enableprotruding \input tufte \par
\stop

\stoptext

(or the usual \setupalign options)

As you may deduce from this example, handling is gone in mkiv. This not
only safes some 40K format file, but the new mechanism also runs faster
(some 10% overhead on 300 pages of pure text, which is rare).

At some point we need to extend the hz/protruding vectors in mkiv to
cover non latin scripts as well (currently they default to factors of
1). As with mkiv, latin glyphs fall back to their shape parent.

Under some circumstances hz may not work as expected. Fixing this is on
the agenda for the next luatex beta release.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: hz and protrusion
@ 2008-03-03  5:08 ` David Wooten
From: David Wooten @ 2008-03-03  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

This is great news, thanks a million.

Where should I keep an eye out for the interface extensions?

Dave

On Feb 15, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The latest luatex beta + mkiv support hz and protruding. The user
> interface will be extended a bit, but for the moment it goes as
> follows:
>
> % engine=luatex
>
> % \setupfontexpansion [quality][stretch=2.5,shrink=2.5,step=.
> 5,factor=1]
>
> \setupfontexpansion[oeps][a=1,b=2]
>
> \setuptolerance[verytolerant,stretch] \showframe
>
> \starttext
>
> \definefontfeature[demo][default]
> [mode=node,expansion=quality,protrusion=pure]
>
> \start
>     \definedfont[Serif*demo at 12pt]           \enableadjusting
> \enableprotruding \input tufte \par
>    %\definedfont[name:optimanova*demo at 12pt] \enableadjusting
> \enableprotruding \input tufte \par
> \stop
>
> \stoptext
>
> (or the usual \setupalign options)
>
> As you may deduce from this example, handling is gone in mkiv. This
> not
> only safes some 40K format file, but the new mechanism also runs
> faster
> (some 10% overhead on 300 pages of pure text, which is rare).
>
> At some point we need to extend the hz/protruding vectors in mkiv to
> cover non latin scripts as well (currently they default to factors of
> 1). As with mkiv, latin glyphs fall back to their shape parent.
>
> Under some circumstances hz may not work as expected. Fixing this is
> on
> the agenda for the next luatex beta release.
>
> Hans

* Re: hz and protrusion
@ 2008-03-03  9:57   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-03-03  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Wooten wrote:
> Hans,
>
> This is great news, thanks a million.
>
> Where should I keep an eye out for the interface extensions?
on this list

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE