* URL wrapping
@ 2008-03-10 11:18 Adam Duck
From: Adam Duck @ 2008-03-10 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,

I'm writing my diploma thesis and have gotten into a problem with URLs
in my references.  As you can see in my example, \useURL and \biburl
don't wrap...  also, using \hyphenatedurl doesn't help much.  I've read
through the archives, but all postings there don't help.  Alan Bowen
has/had the same problem described in
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20070125.173931.a70b45d3.en.html

The problem is getting worse by the fact that I'm using BibTeX to
produce the references.  So, I don't have that many tweaking
possibilities.

Help...

cu, Adam.

[-- Attachment #2: url-test.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 974 bytes --]

\usemodule[bib]
\setupinteraction[state=start]
\setuppublications[alternative=apa-de]

\startpublication[k=BMPINTERBC,
				  t=misc,
				  a={{Wikipedia}},
				  y=2008e,
				  u={http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Thisisaveryveryveryverylongurlthatisnotwrapped.png},
				  n=11,
				  s=Wik08e]
  \author[]{}[]{}{Wikipedia}
  \pubyear{2008\maybeyear{e}}
  \title{{Image:BicubicInterpolationExample.png} --- {W}ikipedia{,} the free encyclopedia}
  \month{3}
  \biburl{http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Thisisaveryveryveryverylongurlthatisnotwrapped.png},
\stoppublication

\starttext

The URL in the publications doesn't warp: \cite[BMPINTERBC].  And this one, too, doesn't
wrap: \useURL{http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Thisisaveryveryveryverylongurlthatisnotwrapped.png}.
And this one, isn't better: \hyphenatedurl{http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Thisisaveryveryveryverylongurlthatisnotwrapped.png}

\section{References}
\placepublications[criterium=all]
\stoptext

* Re: URL wrapping
@ 2008-03-10 14:48 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-03-10 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Duck wrote:

> The problem is getting worse by the fact that I'm using BibTeX to
> produce the references.  So, I don't have that many tweaking
> possibilities.

The problem is with URLs in general: there are not that many safe
places in an URL for inserting hyphenation points.

I have found that often if you need many long urls the best approach
is to add explicit linebreaks around it, so they become 'displayed',
or to switch to raggedright typesetting.

In this particular case,

   \sethyphenatedurlbefore v

in your preamble will help (you can add a few more if you like).
The downside is that it can become unclear where the URL ends.

Best wishes,
Taco