From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: XeTeX: faked bold & slanted + request for ppc	users
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:03:44 +0100	[thread overview]

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>  > Hello,
>>  >
>>  > I just wanted to let you know that XeTeX now supports both faking bold
>>  > and slanted (and the binaries on the garden minimals have that feature
>>  > already). It's generally a bad idea to use it, but in case that you
>>  > need it only for small portions of text (if you really have no other
>>  > way out), it could be handy. (Slanted is less evil to use than
>>  > "bold".)
>>
>>  > The plain syntax is:
>>  >
>>  > \font\a="Gentium"
>>  > \font\b="Gentium:slant=0.2" % better: \font\b="Gentium/I"
>>  > \font\c="Gentium:embolden=2"
>>  > \font\d="Gentium:embolden=2;slant=0.2"
>>
>>  hm, so it's embolden? in that case we need a remap to extend
>
> If I understand your question, extending the kerning for line
> thickness is missing, yes (but maybe not desired in monospace fonts or

no, i meant: slant and extend are the keywords .. similar to what
happens in map files

> I'm only guessing, but I also have a feeling that ConTeXt could
> already support that feature per-se (with minor modifications).
> Doesn't "outline fonts" in ConTeXt use exactly the same kind of
> trickery as this "embolden" in XeTeX? (Only that outline only draws
> outlines, while embolden draws the inner part (normal glyphs) +
> outline.)

ah, no idea ... extend normally scales the font horizontally (and
therefore needs to widen the metrics); using outline trickery for faking
bold sounds like a bad idea to me; anyhow, in mkiv that's not a font
feature but a rendering option

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE