* XeTeX: faked bold & slanted + request for ppc users
@ 2008-03-09 15:28 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-03-09 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that XeTeX now supports both faking bold
and slanted (and the binaries on the garden minimals have that feature
already). It's generally a bad idea to use it, but in case that you
need it only for small portions of text (if you really have no other
way out), it could be handy. (Slanted is less evil to use than
"bold".)

The plain syntax is:

\font\a="Gentium"
\font\b="Gentium:slant=0.2" % better: \font\b="Gentium/I"
\font\c="Gentium:embolden=2"
\font\d="Gentium:embolden=2;slant=0.2"

Some time ago I have posted an example of the (current?) ConTeXt way to use it:

\definefontfeature
  [slantedandextended]
   % cloned from the rest of XeTeX, not really needed
  [method=node,script=latn,language=dflt,liga=yes,onum=yes,kern=yes,
   slant=0.25,extend=1.5]
\definefontsynonym
  [myfont]
  [file:texgyrepagella-regular][features=slantedandextended]

\starttext
\definedfont[myfont] This is slanted and extended
\stoptext

Also, I would be greatful if any mac ppc user could provide feedback
whether the cross-compiled xetex binaries on
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/bin/xetex/osx-ppc/bin/ work
ok.

Thanks,
    Mojca

* Re: XeTeX: faked bold & slanted + request for ppc users
@ 2008-03-09 19:26 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-03-09 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to let you know that XeTeX now supports both faking bold
> and slanted (and the binaries on the garden minimals have that feature
> already). It's generally a bad idea to use it, but in case that you
> need it only for small portions of text (if you really have no other
> way out), it could be handy. (Slanted is less evil to use than
> "bold".)

> The plain syntax is:
>
> \font\a="Gentium"
> \font\b="Gentium:slant=0.2" % better: \font\b="Gentium/I"
> \font\c="Gentium:embolden=2"
> \font\d="Gentium:embolden=2;slant=0.2"

hm, so it's embolden? in that case we need a remap to extend

> Some time ago I have posted an example of the (current?) ConTeXt way to use it:
>
> \definefontfeature
>   [slantedandextended]
>    % cloned from the rest of XeTeX, not really needed
>   [method=node,script=latn,language=dflt,liga=yes,onum=yes,kern=yes,
>    slant=0.25,extend=1.5]

i remember that taco and i discussed it with regards to luatex (i think
that we even had a key in the tfm table at some point); i need to look
into it

> \definefontsynonym
>   [myfont]
>   [file:texgyrepagella-regular][features=slantedandextended]
>
> \starttext
> \definedfont[myfont] This is slanted and extended
> \stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-03-10 13:50   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-03-10 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I just wanted to let you know that XeTeX now supports both faking bold
>  > and slanted (and the binaries on the garden minimals have that feature
>  > already). It's generally a bad idea to use it, but in case that you
>  > need it only for small portions of text (if you really have no other
>  > way out), it could be handy. (Slanted is less evil to use than
>  > "bold".)
>
>  > The plain syntax is:
>  >
>  > \font\a="Gentium"
>  > \font\b="Gentium:slant=0.2" % better: \font\b="Gentium/I"
>  > \font\c="Gentium:embolden=2"
>  > \font\d="Gentium:embolden=2;slant=0.2"
>
>  hm, so it's embolden? in that case we need a remap to extend

If I understand your question, extending the kerning for line
thickness is missing, yes (but maybe not desired in monospace fonts or
in Chinese, which is where the feature request came from, but in most
cases extended should be applied indeed). I wanted to ask that, but
I'm not sure about what is the most right thing to do.

>  > Some time ago I have posted an example of the (current?) ConTeXt way to use it:
>  >
>  > \definefontfeature
>  >   [slantedandextended]
>  >    % cloned from the rest of XeTeX, not really needed
>  >   [method=node,script=latn,language=dflt,liga=yes,onum=yes,kern=yes,
>  >    slant=0.25,extend=1.5]
>
>  i remember that taco and i discussed it with regards to luatex (i think
>  that we even had a key in the tfm table at some point); i need to look
>  into it

I'm only guessing, but I also have a feeling that ConTeXt could
already support that feature per-se (with minor modifications).
Doesn't "outline fonts" in ConTeXt use exactly the same kind of
trickery as this "embolden" in XeTeX? (Only that outline only draws
outlines, while embolden draws the inner part (normal glyphs) +
outline.)

@ 2008-03-10 15:06     ` Jonathan Kew
From: Jonathan Kew @ 2008-03-10 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Mar 2008, at 1:50 pm, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just wanted to let you know that XeTeX now supports both faking
>>> bold
>>> and slanted (and the binaries on the garden minimals have that
>>> feature
>>> already). It's generally a bad idea to use it, but in case that you
>>> need it only for small portions of text (if you really have no other
>>> way out), it could be handy. (Slanted is less evil to use than
>>> "bold".)
>>
>>> The plain syntax is:
>>>
>>> \font\a="Gentium"
>>> \font\b="Gentium:slant=0.2" % better: \font\b="Gentium/I"
>>> \font\c="Gentium:embolden=2"
>>> \font\d="Gentium:embolden=2;slant=0.2"
>>
>>  hm, so it's embolden? in that case we need a remap to extend
>
> If I understand your question, extending the kerning for line
> thickness is missing, yes

If you want to loosen the letter spacing slightly, just use something
like

   \font\a="Gentium:embolden=2;letterspace=2"

> (but maybe not desired in monospace fonts or
> in Chinese, which is where the feature request came from,

Right, which is why it's not automatically applied.

JK

* Re: XeTeX: faked bold & slanted + request for ppc users
@ 2008-03-10 21:03     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-03-10 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>  > Hello,
>>  >
>>  > I just wanted to let you know that XeTeX now supports both faking bold
>>  > and slanted (and the binaries on the garden minimals have that feature
>>  > already). It's generally a bad idea to use it, but in case that you
>>  > need it only for small portions of text (if you really have no other
>>  > way out), it could be handy. (Slanted is less evil to use than
>>  > "bold".)
>>
>>  > The plain syntax is:
>>  >
>>  > \font\a="Gentium"
>>  > \font\b="Gentium:slant=0.2" % better: \font\b="Gentium/I"
>>  > \font\c="Gentium:embolden=2"
>>  > \font\d="Gentium:embolden=2;slant=0.2"
>>
>>  hm, so it's embolden? in that case we need a remap to extend
>
> If I understand your question, extending the kerning for line
> thickness is missing, yes (but maybe not desired in monospace fonts or

no, i meant: slant and extend are the keywords .. similar to what
happens in map files

> I'm only guessing, but I also have a feeling that ConTeXt could
> already support that feature per-se (with minor modifications).
> Doesn't "outline fonts" in ConTeXt use exactly the same kind of
> trickery as this "embolden" in XeTeX? (Only that outline only draws
> outlines, while embolden draws the inner part (normal glyphs) +
> outline.)

ah, no idea ... extend normally scales the font horizontally (and
therefore needs to widen the metrics); using outline trickery for faking
bold sounds like a bad idea to me; anyhow, in mkiv that's not a font
feature but a rendering option

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE