* texshow out of sync?
@ 2008-03-11  7:47 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-03-11  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hello,

What about merging the 2 texshow databases (web and perl), and then
maintaining only one unique database?

I've just seen, that for example the command "\setupdescriptions" has more
options in the perl-database and more descriptions in the web-database...

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: texshow out of sync?
@ 2008-03-11  8:07 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-03-11  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Peter Münster wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What about merging the 2 texshow databases (web and perl), and then
> maintaining only one unique database?

texshow.pl can't always go to the web to fetch (or even check the
filestamp) of its database, that would be dead-slow.  So that
would mean pre-packaging the database in the distribution, and
that in turn means it will need a maintainer ...

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: texshow out of sync?
@ 2008-03-11  8:41   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-03-11  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 11 2008, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> > What about merging the 2 texshow databases (web and perl), and then
> > maintaining only one unique database?
>
> texshow.pl can't always go to the web to fetch (or even check the
> filestamp) of its database, that would be dead-slow.  So that
> would mean pre-packaging the database in the distribution, and
> that in turn means it will need a maintainer ...

Hello Taco,

Do the 2 databases have the same format?

If yes, I could be the maintainer, and copy in a regular time interval the
web-database to some svn repository or elsewhere for the distribution.
Then texshow.pl would see the same database, just not the latest version.
And whenever you or other people add new commands and descriptions, they do
it on the web only.

If no, then we could discuss other options...

Best wishes, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: texshow out of sync?
@ 2008-03-11  9:32     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-03-11  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11 2008, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>>> What about merging the 2 texshow databases (web and perl), and then
>>> maintaining only one unique database?
>> texshow.pl can't always go to the web to fetch (or even check the
>> filestamp) of its database, that would be dead-slow.  So that
>> would mean pre-packaging the database in the distribution, and
>> that in turn means it will need a maintainer ...
>
> Hello Taco,
>
> Do the 2 databases have the same format?

Probably not, texshow-web is a Rails application so it will probably
use an actual SQL database for the additional information. Patrick will
know for sure.

texshow.pl is uses the cont-XX.xml files from the core distribution,
and, optionally, a second XML file per interface for the explanations
and examples etc. The format for that second file is:

<cd:explanations>
    <cd:explanation name="<cmdname>" [type="environment"] >
     <cd:description>...</cd:description>
     <cd:comment>...</cd:comment>
     <cd:example>...</cd:example> <!-- can be repeated -->
   </cd:explanation>
   ... <!-- more explanations -->
</cd:explanations>