* Applelaserwriter 360 - Any suggestion for good replacement?
@ 2008-03-27  8:43 Giulio Bertellini
From: Giulio Bertellini @ 2008-03-27  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Context List users:

in the old days the AppleLaserwriter 360 was an exceptional printer with
very good Postscript support for the Basic postscript fonts.

I am now at a loss in deciding which Laser printer to purchase in a
reasonable price range with postscript support, a reasonable amount of ram
and network support.

I would welcome hints from List users as to their recommendations and
suggestions, also from the TeX and Context point of view. Color support is
not the most important factor, while graphics is.

Giulio Bertellini

* Re: Applelaserwriter 360 - Any suggestion for good replacement?
@ 2008-03-27 12:36 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-03-27 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giulio Bertellini wrote:
> Dear Context List users:
>
> in the old days the AppleLaserwriter 360 was an exceptional printer with
> very good Postscript support for the Basic postscript fonts.
>
> I am now at a loss in deciding which Laser printer to purchase in a
> reasonable price range with postscript support, a reasonable amount of ram
> and network support.
>
> I would welcome hints from List users as to their recommendations and
> suggestions, also from the TeX and Context point of view. Color support is
> not the most important factor, while graphics is.

we recently bought an oki 5900 (in addition to the big oce b/w printer);
  we also have an hp 130n; if i had to decide now, i'd also look into
ink jet printers since they're getting fast too and i may decide to go
for an xerox.com phaser-8860 (solid ink) since toner often looks like crap

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-03-27 13:11   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2008-03-27 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> if i had to decide now, i'd also look into
> ink jet printers since they're getting fast too and i may decide to go
> for an xerox.com phaser-8860 (solid ink) since toner often looks like crap

We have a Phaser 8400DP here and I find the output not as sharp (text)
as with our b/w HP LaserJets. (I sometimes see some dotted ghost lines
at some places; I don't know where they come from.) Additionally, I
think it uses a lot of "solid ink" when turned on. This might be not a
problem for the office where it is always on (like here, including
during the night), but for home that would be not the right thing. ;-)
Otherwise, I find the solid ink (which reminds me on wax crayon) quite
nice to handle, it works quite well with also more complicated files and
the colors look quite nice.

Tobias