* perl/Ruby dependency -- how deep?
@ 2008-04-08 18:37 Joel C. Salomon
From: Joel C. Salomon @ 2008-04-08 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Two questions came up when I was looking into putting ConTeXt on a USB
stick (i.e., as a "portable app"):

1.  Is perl still required for a ConTeXt installation (say, under
Windows)?  I know texexec is now written in Ruby, but are there other
programs in Stand-alone or the Minimals that require perl?

2.  I vaguely recall some mention of eventually replacing texexec with
a Lua version.  Is this actually being planned, and would that
eliminate the external language dependencies of ConTeXt?

--Joel

* Re: perl/Ruby dependency -- how deep?
@ 2008-04-08 20:06 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-04-08 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
> Two questions came up when I was looking into putting ConTeXt on a USB
>  stick (i.e., as a "portable app"):
>
>  1.  Is perl still required for a ConTeXt installation (say, under
>  Windows)?  I know texexec is now written in Ruby, but are there other
>  programs in Stand-alone or the Minimals that require perl?

mptopdf at least ... But it might be possible to do without (I'm not
sure - you need to try). If you put things on usb, it should be enough
to set PATH properly, that's all. Neither perl nor ruby need a proper
installation.

>  2.  I vaguely recall some mention of eventually replacing texexec with
>  a Lua version.  Is this actually being planned, and would that
>  eliminate the external language dependencies of ConTeXt?

Yes. You can already use "context" (see mtx-context.lua), though there
is no stub yet (you can easily make one), and it's not so well tested
yet.

Mojca

* Re: perl/Ruby dependency -- how deep?
@ 2008-04-08 20:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-08 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joel C. Salomon wrote:
> Two questions came up when I was looking into putting ConTeXt on a USB
> stick (i.e., as a "portable app"):
>
> 1.  Is perl still required for a ConTeXt installation (say, under
> Windows)?  I know texexec is now written in Ruby, but are there other
> programs in Stand-alone or the Minimals that require perl?

perl is not needed, unless you want to run mptopdf, and even that is not
needed because texexec can do the same

> 2.  I vaguely recall some mention of eventually replacing texexec with
> a Lua version.  Is this actually being planned, and would that
> eliminate the external language dependencies of ConTeXt?

luatex + context mkiv is indeed independent

- index sorting takes place in mkiv
- job control is done with mtxrun/mtx-context

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-04-08 20:22   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-08 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Yes. You can already use "context" (see mtx-context.lua), though there
> is no stub yet (you can easily make one), and it's not so well tested
> yet.

it works ok, but at this moment has less options than texexec, but those
are not needed for runs

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE