* [OT] random Computer Science paper generator
@ 2008-04-08 23:57 luigi scarso
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-04-08 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/
it would be nice to have something in context.
--
luigi
it's new .

* Re: [OT] random Computer Science paper generator
@ 2008-04-09  6:57 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-09  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/4/9, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>:
> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/
>  it would be nice to have something in context.

Of course, the site says its botches are context-free ;-)

Fortunately in my experience TeX conferences have a somewhat higher
subscription standard...

Greetlings, Hraban

* Re: [OT] random Computer Science paper generator
@ 2008-04-09  7:13 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-04-09  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:
> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/
> it would be nice to have something in context.

Why exactly? If it is just for the creation of sample documents:
SCIgen is a template-driven perl script that is open-source, so
creating a context backend would be easy (and fun).

Cheers, Taco

* Re: [OT] random Computer Science paper generator
@ 2008-04-09  7:46   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-04-09  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> luigi scarso wrote:
>  > http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/
>  > it would be nice to have something in context.
Sorry, missing some words ;
it should be
"it would be nice to have something in context to show on the wiki"
I'm sure that pdfs will be more beatiful, and we will have some
original examples to show on the wiki.

@ 2008-04-09  8:02     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-09  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:46 AM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> > luigi scarso wrote:
> >  > http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/
> >  > it would be nice to have something in context.
> Sorry, missing some words ;
> it should be
> "it would be nice to have something in context to show on the wiki"
> I'm sure that pdfs will be more beatiful, and we will have some
> original examples to show on the wiki.
> >
> >  Why exactly? If it is just for the creation of sample documents:
> >  SCIgen is a template-driven perl script that is open-source, so
> >  creating a context backend would be easy (and fun).

But there is already a mechanism to create fake documents, not so
nice as real fake text but usefull.

m-visual.tex

%D For Mojca:
%D
%D \starttyping
%D \def\simplethesis
%D   {\setupsystem[random=1234]
%D    \title{\fakewords{3}{4}}
%D    \placelist[chapter,section]
%D    \dorecurse{6}
%D      {\chapter{\fakewords{5}{10}}
%D       \dorecurse{5}
%D         {\section{\fakewords{2}{5}}
%D          \dorecurse{2}
%D            {\dorecurse{3}{\fakewords{100}{200}\endgraf}
%D             \placefigure{\fakewords{8}{15}}{\fakefigure{5cm}{3cm}{10cm}{5cm}}
%D             \dorecurse{2}{\fakewords{100}{200}\endgraf}}}}}
%D
%D \starttext
%D   \simplethesis
%D \stoptext
%D \stoptyping

Wolfgang

* Re: [OT] random Computer Science paper generator
@ 2008-04-09  8:04     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-04-09  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>> luigi scarso wrote:
>>  > http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/
>>  > it would be nice to have something in context.
> Sorry, missing some words ;
> it should be
> "it would be nice to have something in context to show on the wiki"
> I'm sure that pdfs will be more beatiful, and we will have some
> original examples to show on the wiki.

In that case, just download the script, run it, and convert
the latex output to context manually?

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: [OT] random Computer Science paper generator
@ 2008-04-09  9:08 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-04-09  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:57 AM, luigi scarso wrote:
> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/
>  it would be nice to have something in context.

Btw: there is

\usemodule[visual]
\starttext
  \simplethesis
\stoptext

but it's not nearly as advanced as the one you have pointed out :P

Mojca

* Re: [OT] random Computer Science paper generator
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-04-09 10:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-09 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:
> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/

great link!

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-04-09 11:25       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-04-09 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

>  luigi scarso wrote:
>  > On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>  >> luigi scarso wrote:
>  >>  > http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/
>  >>  > it would be nice to have something in context.
>  > Sorry, missing some words ;
>  > it should be
>  > "it would be nice to have something in context to show on the wiki"
Again inaccurate, sorry.
I'm thinking something like
http://live.contextgarden.net/
One fill a form like
http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen
hit some a buttons,
and voila'
a nice pdf (and a virtual CS paper) .

--

@ 2008-04-09 11:49         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-04-09 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  Again inaccurate, sorry.
>  I'm thinking something like
>  http://live.contextgarden.net/
>  One fill a form like
>
> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen
>  hit some a buttons,
>  and voila'
>  a nice pdf (and a virtual CS paper) .

Hmmm ... that's actually a really nice idea :)
If anyone is ready to port the code to ConTeXt, I promise to include
it into the source browser (or, in case that I happen to have too much
time ... but I doubt that anyone on my faculty would be willing to
accept a thesis like that one ... :).

I wanted to see the code, but the server they mention on their website
doesn't exist.

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.pdos.csail.mit.edu:/cvs co -P scigen
Unknown host cvs.pdos.csail.mit.edu

Mojca

* Re: [OT] random Computer Science paper generator
@ 2008-04-09 13:38           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-04-09 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>  Again inaccurate, sorry.
>>  I'm thinking something like
>>  http://live.contextgarden.net/
>>  One fill a form like
>>
>> http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen
>>  hit some a buttons,
>>  and voila'
>>  a nice pdf (and a virtual CS paper) .
>
> Hmmm ... that's actually a really nice idea :)
> If anyone is ready to port the code to ConTeXt, I promise to include
> it into the source browser (or, in case that I happen to have too much
> time ... but I doubt that anyone on my faculty would be willing to
> accept a thesis like that one ... :).
>
> I wanted to see the code, but the server they mention on their website
> doesn't exist.

works here, sent it to you by email

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: [OT] random Computer Science paper generator
@ 2008-04-09 18:20         ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2008-04-09 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 09 avril à 13:25:50 "luigi scarso" <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> écrit notamment:

| and voila'
| a nice pdf (and a virtual CS paper)

Actually as you all probably know, this website has been created by CS
students to demonstrate how serious some meetings are: they submitted
several papers created by their tools to the committee of a big meeting
in the US and one or two were accepted (it is about 3 or 4 years ago).

But why not invent for context something nicer than CS papers, love
letters for instance?

--
Jean

* Re: [OT] random Computer Science paper generator
@ 2008-04-09 19:06           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-04-09 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
> Le 09 avril à 13:25:50 "luigi scarso" <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> écrit notamment:
>
> | and voila'
> | a nice pdf (and a virtual CS paper)
>
> Actually as you all probably know, this website has been created by CS
> students to demonstrate how serious some meetings are: they submitted
> several papers created by their tools to the committee of a big meeting
> in the US and one or two were accepted (it is about 3 or 4 years ago).
>
> But why not invent for context something nicer than CS papers, love
> letters for instance?

I second that. Or poetry perhaps. Random prophesies could be too
dangerous to meddle with ;-)