* luatools --ini plain
@ 2008-04-13 21:59 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-04-13 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luatex develompent list, NTG ConTeXt

This is something I don't understand.

In the mk.pdf manual on luatex on page 21 there is the following
example:

luatools --ini plain

Instead of the expected output 120,808 plain.fmt etc. I get an error:
"There is no lua initialization file found. ..."
Running "luatools --generate" does not help.
There is a hint: "This file can be forced by the --progname directve,
or specified with --luaname,..."

How can I get a "lua initialization file" in order to not have the
error.
And how do I interpret the hint, as the text of the error message is
too cryptic for me to understand.

Hans van der Meer

* Re: [Dev-luatex] luatools --ini plain
@ 2008-04-13 22:30 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-13 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans van der Meer; +Cc: NTG ConTeXt, luatex develompent list

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> This is something I don't understand.
>
> In the mk.pdf manual on luatex on page 21 there is the following
> example:
>
> luatools --ini plain

luatools --make plain

(this will use the context base lua files)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: luatools --ini plain
@ 2008-04-13 22:38 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-04-13 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> luatools --ini plain
>
> Instead of the expected output 120,808 plain.fmt etc. I get an error:
> "There is no lua initialization file found. ..."

  The ConTeXt tools don't support plain.  If you really want a plain
format for LuaTeX you can run luatex -ini instead:

	luatex -ini -jobname=luatex plain \\dump

  But why do you want plain LuaTeX in the first place?  If it's only to
test the mk document, you should realize it's not a user manual.

	Arthur

* Re: luatools --ini plain
@ 2008-04-14  8:59   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-04-14  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 apr 2008, at 00:38, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

>> luatools --ini plain
>>
>> Instead of the expected output 120,808 plain.fmt etc. I get an error:
>> "There is no lua initialization file found. ..."
>
>  The ConTeXt tools don't support plain.  If you really want a plain
> format for LuaTeX you can run luatex -ini instead:
>
> 	luatex -ini -jobname=luatex plain \\dump
>
>  But why do you want plain LuaTeX in the first place?  If it's only to
> test the mk document, you should realize it's not a user manual.

Why I am doing this? Just because I want to experiment with luatex and
to acquire experience using it. And what better to start with then
examples given in the accompanying document.
It might not be a user manual, but does that mean its information is
not to be used? I am quite aware of the preliminary nature of the
document. That is what this newsgroup is for. By the way, Hans Hagen
in the mean time corrected the call to "luatools --make plain".

Hans van der Meer

* Re: luatools --ini plain
@ 2008-04-14  9:39     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-14  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> On 14 apr 2008, at 00:38, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>
>>> luatools --ini plain
>>>
>>> Instead of the expected output 120,808 plain.fmt etc. I get an error:
>>> "There is no lua initialization file found. ..."
>>  The ConTeXt tools don't support plain.  If you really want a plain
>> format for LuaTeX you can run luatex -ini instead:
>>
>> 	luatex -ini -jobname=luatex plain \\dump
>>
>>  But why do you want plain LuaTeX in the first place?  If it's only to
>> test the mk document, you should realize it's not a user manual.
>
> Why I am doing this? Just because I want to experiment with luatex and
> to acquire experience using it. And what better to start with then
> examples given in the accompanying document.
> It might not be a user manual, but does that mean its information is
> not to be used? I am quite aware of the preliminary nature of the
> document. That is what this newsgroup is for. By the way, Hans Hagen
> in the mean time corrected the call to "luatools --make plain".

in most cases examples in mk should work and if not, they should be
corrected (it's a kind of dev history and i try to keep things up to
date so send patches if needed)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE