* mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-04-16 18:20 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-04-16 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear gang,

There has not been an update to mswincontext.zip since last August... Are
there any plans to update this? For years now mswincontext.zip has been my
one and only TeX distribution. With the new TeX-Gyre and Latin Modern
fonts, as well as the rest of our developments, I think the time is way
overdue for a new release. And it is safer to install a fresh distribution
than to muck around with replacing the fonts etc.

Any news?

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-04-16 19:18 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-16 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Dear gang,
>
> There has not been an update to mswincontext.zip since last August... Are
> there any plans to update this? For years now mswincontext.zip has been my
> one and only TeX distribution. With the new TeX-Gyre and Latin Modern
> fonts, as well as the rest of our developments, I think the time is way
> overdue for a new release. And it is safer to install a fresh distribution
> than to muck around with replacing the fonts etc.

i could update it ... but i was wondering if i still should supply it
now that we have a new minimals system ... ok, we need to add scite to
it ...

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-04-17 13:16   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-04-17 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:18:49 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

>> There has not been an update to mswincontext.zip since last August...
>> Are
>> there any plans to update this? For years now mswincontext.zip has been
>> my
>> one and only TeX distribution. With the new TeX-Gyre and Latin Modern
>> fonts, as well as the rest of our developments, I think the time is way
>> overdue for a new release. And it is safer to install a fresh
>> distribution
>> than to muck around with replacing the fonts etc.
>
> i could update it ...

Please do!

> but i was wondering if i still should supply it
> now that we have a new minimals system ...

Well, mswincontext is rather "maximal", not minimal :-)

> ok, we need to add scite to

and docs tree, and...

Thanks and

@ 2008-04-17 13:34     ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-04-17 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  > ok, we need to add scite to
>
>  and docs tree, and...

and ruby, perl, unzip, xml tools.....

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-04-17 16:55       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-04-17 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  and ruby, perl, unzip, xml tools.....

It's not "public" yet, but I have prepared ruby, perl & scite. If you
can send me exact urls and instructions, I will add xml tools as well.
gswin is on the stack (didn't touch it yet).

Mojca

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-04-17 17:26         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-17 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>  and ruby, perl, unzip, xml tools.....
>
> It's not "public" yet, but I have prepared ruby, perl & scite. If you
> can send me exact urls and instructions, I will add xml tools as well.
> gswin is on the stack (didn't touch it yet).

http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/xsltproc2.html

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-08-28  7:59           ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2008-08-28  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I followed these directions exactly and scite is working out of the
box on mswincontext.zip.

To remove RubyGems from a single Ruby installation, from the
site_ruby/1.8 directory of that installation, remove:

* rubygems.rb (file)
* rubygems (directory)

If you do not have RubyGems installed in other Ruby installation
directories, you can also remove the following files from whatever
command directory is listed in your PATH:

* gem
* gemwhich
* gem_server
* gem_mirror
* generate_yaml_index.rb

And if you are removing RubyGems completely, don't forget to remove the
RUBYOPT environment variable from your environment.

Without actually trying it, I think that will do it.

D.

I also added import metapost in scite, but not all of the menu items
on the tool menu work, in fact most of them don't work. Ctrl+6
doesn't open the console, I can't get gsview to work instead of gv, etc.

D.

On Aug 28, 2008, at 12:35 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> geoff.moyle@gmail.com wrote:
>> I found all my gems problems were coming from an environment
>> variable which
>> pointed to rubygems. After I deleted it all the probs went away.
>> You will
>> nedd to search using set as I have forgotten the variable
>
> ah, if we know that variable we can delete it in the startup script

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl
> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-08-28  7:35         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-28  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

geoff.moyle@gmail.com wrote:
> I found all my gems problems were coming from an environment variable which
> pointed to rubygems. After I deleted it all the probs went away. You will
> nedd to search using set as I have forgotten the variable

ah, if we know that variable we can delete it in the startup script

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-08-28  0:36       ` geoff.moyle
From: geoff.moyle @ 2008-08-28  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found all my gems problems were coming from an environment variable which
pointed to rubygems. After I deleted it all the probs went away. You will
nedd to search using set as I have forgotten the variable

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 1:25 AM, Idris Samawi Hamid
<ishamid@colostate.edu>wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:33:22 -0600, David Arnold
> <dwarnold45@suddenlink.net> wrote:
>
> > The only thing I know about Ruby is you used to install it in Windows
> > so that Context thru Miktex would work. So, how do I get rid of the
> > gems?
>
>  From memory:
>
> 1. Uninstall Ruby completely;
>
> 2. Reinstall and choose custom install if that is available;
>
> 3. Uncheck the RubyGems option;
>
> That's it!
>
> setuptex.bat and the scripts that depend on it (like cscite.bat and my
> npp.bat) should work now.
>
> Best wishes
> Idris
>
> --
> Professor Idris Samawi Hamid, Editor-in-Chief
> International Journal of Shi`i Studies
> Department of Philosophy
> Colorado State University
> Fort Collins, CO 80523

regards
Geoff Moyle
Knowledge Engineer

is est non super exaro pinguis era sono

"Commercial-in-Confidence"

This is a private communication and contains material which
is commercial in confidence, copyright, and contains or refers to trade
secrets. The contents of this document may not be redistributed
without the express permission of the author.
These conditions are not intended to apply to a posting to a
public mailing list : should these conditions appear inadvertently
on such a posting, please advise.

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-08-27 15:25     ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-08-27 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David,

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 07:33:22 -0600, David Arnold
<dwarnold45@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> The only thing I know about Ruby is you used to install it in Windows
> so that Context thru Miktex would work. So, how do I get rid of the
> gems?

 From memory:

@ 2008-08-27 13:33   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2008-08-27 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans, Idris,

@ 2008-08-27 11:34 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-08-27 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 2:27 AM,  <dwarnold45@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> All,
>
> A bit frustrated as I cannot seem to get a mswincontext scite combination going. I gave up on: http://pragma-ade.com/context/install/mswintex.zip. I got absolutely nowhere with the installation and trying to connect scite.
>
> So, I just downloaded:  http://pragma-ade.com/context/install/mswincontext.zip
>
> After extracting to c:\context, I ran the file first-setup.bat, which proceeded to install a lot of files. Was this a correct thing to do?

Where did you get the first-setup.bat from? I assume that it
downloaded a copy of what you already had to some other directory.
It's not needed, but we need to fix some things in first-setup.bat
(and rename it).

> Strange, as the distribution size was already huge. It would really help to have a readme.txt in this distribution with installation directions.
>
> After first-setup was complete, I ran cscite.bat. Scite opened. Good! I entered the usual test file:
>
> \starttext
> Hello, World!
> \stoptext
>
> And saved as test.tex.
>
> Then I tried Tools->Compile, which resulted in this error mesage:
>
> texmfstart concheck test.tex
> ruby: no such file to load--ubygems (LoadError)

Apparetly a problem with ruby. Try to follow Idris' advice.

Mojca

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-08-27 11:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-27 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

dwarnold45@suddenlink.net wrote:
> All,
>
> A bit frustrated as I cannot seem to get a mswincontext scite combination going. I gave up on: http://pragma-ade.com/context/install/mswintex.zip. I got absolutely nowhere with the installation and trying to connect scite.

mswintex is just a zipped minimal

> So, I just downloaded:  http://pragma-ade.com/context/install/mswincontext.zip

that one has also scite, perl and ruby + some more

> After extracting to c:\context, I ran the file first-setup.bat, which proceeded to install a lot of files. Was this a correct thing to do? Strange, as the distribution size was already huge. It would really help to have a readme.txt in this distribution with installation directions.

> After first-setup was complete, I ran cscite.bat. Scite opened. Good! I entered the usual test file:
>
> \starttext
> Hello, World!
> \stoptext
>
> And saved as test.tex.

one option is to let setuptex be executed when you open a cmd prompt and
then start scite from that (it's what i do here, since i do much on the
console)

then scite knows in which env it lives

> Then I tried Tools->Compile, which resulted in this error mesage:
>
> texmfstart concheck test.tex
> ruby: no such file to load--ubygems (LoadError)

might be some conflict between the ruby in the zip and the installed
one; this gems stuff overloads the 'require' function in an incompatible
way (as idris suggested, get rid of gems)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-08-27  4:50   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2008-08-27  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris,

Thanks. I'm a Mac person at home now, so I'll have to wait until
tomorrow to give this a try on a windows machine at school. What I'll
try (unless I get further advice from this list) is download
mswincontext.zip again, uninstall it, and NOT run first-setup.bat.

Regarding Ruby, I am looking at this page: http://www.ruby-lang.org/
en/downloads/, where it seems like I have two options:

http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/29263/ruby186-26.exe

And:

ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/ruby-1.8.7-i386-
mswin32.zip

Not sure I see anything on this page about "without RubyGems." Any
advice?

D.

@ 2008-08-27  1:08 ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2008-08-27  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:27:37 -0600, <dwarnold45@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> All,
>
> A bit frustrated as I cannot seem to get a mswincontext scite
> combination going. I gave up on:
> http://pragma-ade.com/context/install/mswintex.zip. I got absolutely
> nowhere with the installation and trying to connect scite.
>
> So, I just downloaded:
> http://pragma-ade.com/context/install/mswincontext.zip
>
> After extracting to c:\context, I ran the file first-setup.bat, which
> proceeded to install a lot of files. Was this a correct thing to do?

Not sure, but I did not do it :-)

> Strange, as the distribution size was already huge. It would really help
> to have a readme.txt in this distribution with installation directions.
>
> After first-setup was complete, I ran cscite.bat. Scite opened. Good! I
> entered the usual test file:
>
> \starttext
> Hello, World!
> \stoptext
>
> And saved as test.tex.
>
> Then I tried Tools->Compile, which resulted in this error mesage:
>
> texmfstart concheck test.tex
> ruby: no such file to load--ubygems (LoadError)

Reinstall Ruby without RubyGems. That worked for me.

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* mswincontext.zip
@ 2008-08-27  0:27 dwarnold45
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: dwarnold45 @ 2008-08-27  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[...]

Any suggestions?

D.

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2005-08-03 10:15   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-08-03 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also BitDefender does not complain about any problem in the mswincontext.zip

Willi

Lutz Haseloff wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Coydell Rivers schrieb:
>
>> Let me gladly, and openly report that the latest release of
>> mswincontext.zip, had no files detected as a virus from AVG Free.
>>

> On my System (Win XP) F-Secure AV remains complaining about
> Trojan.Win32.Agent.ez in texmfstart.exe (timestamp: 03.08.05 00:15).
>
> I had to put this file into the exclude list for F-Secure by hand.
>
> btw ClamWin doesn't find any suspect in mswintex.zip
>

> Greetings Lutz

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2005-08-03  4:28 ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2005-08-03  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

@ 2005-08-03  3:24 Coydell Rivers
From: Coydell Rivers @ 2005-08-03  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Let me gladly, and openly report that
the latest release of mswincontext.zip,
had no files detected as a virus from AVG Free.

[-- Attachment #2: "AVG certification" --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 142 bytes --]

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2005-07-29 14:00       ` Steve Grathwohl
From: Steve Grathwohl @ 2005-07-29 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all. I just installed mswincontext and my mcafee raised no flags. the zip
does, however, seem to be missing the map files for the antt fonts :(

Steve

On 7/29/05, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Lutz Haseloff wrote:
>
> > Hi Taco,
> >
> > Taco Hoekwater schrieb:

> >> probably because of some of the executable names. The file looks fine
> >> to me. Do you have any more detailed information available from AVG?
> >>
> >> Taco
> >>

> > My Fsecure Antivirus complains about Trojan.Win32.Agent.ez
> > in texmfstart.exe (in mswintex.zip and cont-win.zip)
>
> strange, avg as well as mcafee don't report any problem (both installed
> today in a vm and with the latest databases)
>
> Hans

Steve Grathwohl || Digital Content Developer
Duke University Press Journals || +1 919 687 3634
905 W Main St || Durham, NC 27701 USA
sgrathwohl@dukeupress.edu

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2005-07-29 13:39     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-07-29 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lutz Haseloff wrote:

> Hi Taco,
>
> Taco Hoekwater schrieb:
>
>> Coydell Rivers wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Hans, Here is some info you need to know for ref.
>>> AVG Free Edition, todays update. Has labeled todays download of
>>> mswincontext.zip as
>>> being a Trojan horse AgentCJ.  Since anything is possible, I will
>>> wait for your response
>>> before opening or to delete the detected file.
>>

>> probably because of some of the executable names. The file looks fine
>> to me. Do you have any more detailed information available from AVG?
>>
>> Taco
>>

> My Fsecure Antivirus complains about  Trojan.Win32.Agent.ez
> in texmfstart.exe (in mswintex.zip and cont-win.zip)

strange, avg as well as mcafee don't report any problem (both installed today in a vm and with the latest databases)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: mswincontext.zip
@ 2005-07-29  8:14 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-07-29  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Coydell Rivers wrote:

> Hello Hans, Here is some info you need to know for ref.
> AVG Free Edition, todays update. Has labeled todays download of
> mswincontext.zip as
> being a Trojan horse AgentCJ.  Since anything is possible, I will wait
> for your response
> before opening or to delete the detected file.

looks ok here (two virus scanners tested)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: mswincontext.zip