* Bibliographic Databases
@ 2008-04-17 14:19 Robin Kirkham
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robin Kirkham @ 2008-04-17 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear all,

I want to set up a shared bibliographic reference database for my
research group, and I'm looking at software like refbase http://
refbase.sourceforge.net/ or refdb http://refdb.sourceforge.net/ to
replace the somewhat random collection of personal BibTeX .bib files
we have.

Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer in using such
things, and hooking them up to ConTeXt?  Most of these systems will
of course emit a .bib file which will obviously work, but will any
emit the .bbl so I can forget about BibTeX?  Will luatex one day
connect to a bib database and fetch the details of a cited
reference?  Is there a ConTeXt "approved" way forward for this sort
of thing?

Thanks in advance, Robin

* Re: Bibliographic Databases
@ 2008-04-20  9:13 Robin Kirkham
From: Robin Kirkham @ 2008-04-20  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 20 April 2008, "George N. White III" <gnwiii@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Robin Kirkham
> <robin.kirkham@csiro.au> wrote:
>
>>  I want to set up a shared bibliographic reference database for my
>>  research group, [...]
>
> I can tell you a few things that don't work!  In our lab we have both
> TeX and Word users.  Many of them had been using a DOS package
> called papyrus, using a special markup that could be translated
> to tex (.bbl) files.  Nothing we found was really satisfactory, so
> we bought EndNote, which could import from papyrus via "refer"
> format and can export to "almost bibtex".  One problem is that
> EndNote uses unicode, so we end up with è, etc. that must
> be translated for some user's versions of bibtex.  The database
> now has a nearly infinite variety of different quote marks:
> `a`, 'a', ``a'', "a", etc. depending on how the entry was made
> (many are pasted from online or pdf sources).
>
> EndNote is really designed for individual users, although sold
> in bulk.  If 2 people open the same database on a shared
> drive they end up with a corrupt database.
>
> In my view, a bibliographic database needs to store each
> reference in the "source" or original format, whether bibtex,
> refer, or one of the newer forms, and provide translators
> and version tracking, so each file can have forks for different
> uses (e.g., ascii vs unicode char. sets) and edits can be
> preserved for the next user.  In practice, people just dump
> selected refs to a bib file, make the .bbl file, and fix problems
> there, so fixes rarely make it back to the master database.
> If they did, we would still have accents and quote marks
> being switched back and forth depending on who last used
> the entry.

Thanks George. EndNote is I believe the corporately-approved solution
here, and similar disasters occur when people try and share its data
files. For this reason I don't call these sorts of personal-level
programs "databases" (any more than I'll call a .bib file a database).

The TeX folk don't fare much better. Multiple personal .bib files are
common, often with duplicate references but different citation keys,
leading to rather variable results depending on who run LaTeX/ConTeXt
on the file. Inconsistency in data entry is also a problem, although
for us, accents and quotes don't seem to too big a problem.
(`Authorless', i.e., corporate author documents, like data sheets,
seems to be more of an issue).

For this reason I'm looking for a proper SQL database solution like
refdb or refbase (or maybe wikindx, thanks Andreas) with a web front-
end that will hopefully enforce somewhat more consistent data entry,
and maybe even auto-generate citation keys. Taco, your remarks
regarding interchange formats are valuable (both refdb and refbase
support MODS XML output).

Robin

[parent not found: <mailman.0.1208685601.23025.ntg-context@ntg.nl>]