* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
       [not found] <mailman.1.1208512802.14653.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2008-04-18 18:40 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2008-04-18 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 18 Apr 2008 at 12:00, ntg-context-request@ntg.nl wrote:

Hallo Wolfgang,

> I still wait for comments about the user interface to set the
> values before I will release my module to the public although my last
> stable version is only available.

I still use the LaTeX class scrlttr2 for my letters.
I use adress files bundled with that class. Adresses are macros and
selected by a string-key.

Maybe it would be nice, if there could be a interface to such a key
and a lua-function (which defaults to return) taking this key as
argument. So everybody can write his own adress-import function.

Just an idea.

Grusz, Wolfgang

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-19 10:36   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-19 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
<wwl@musensturm.de> wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2008 at 12:00, ntg-context-request@ntg.nl wrote:
>
> Hallo Wolfgang,
>
> > I still wait for comments about the user interface to set the
> > values before I will release my module to the public although my last
> > stable version is only available.
>
> I still use the LaTeX class scrlttr2 for my letters.
> I use adress files bundled with that class. Adresses are macros and
> selected by a string-key.

I know the \adrentry for scrlltr and could add this function but not
at the moment and only as letter extension.

> Maybe it would be nice, if there could be a interface to such a key
> and a lua-function (which defaults to return) taking this key as
> argument. So everybody can write his own adress-import function.

You should also take a look into Hans correspondence [1] manual,
I prefer to make something based on a xml database on it is possible
to write serial letters as told in the manual bot not to use some
information for just one letter.

I will add it on my todo list.

Wolfgang

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-21  7:52           ` Antoine Junod
From: Antoine Junod @ 2008-04-21  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Wolfgang Schuster" <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

>> > Show me a few example or give me values for the positions (address block,
>> > opening, line distance etc.)
>>
>> I use myself the lettre (and not letter :) package [1] for LaTeX. It
>> is easy to use, clean but maybe a bit old in the way to do things
>> (mainly because of the 'Concerne' stuff). But it gives a good example
>> of how have to be letters in Suisse Romande and France.
>>
>> [1] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/lettre.html
>
> Hi Antoine,
>
> I will made a still based on the examples in the manual.

Thanks you chief :)

A+
-AJ

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-21  7:09         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-21  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> But with a « great letter module » (with french positions, of course :))…
> >
> > Show me a few example or give me values for the positions (address block,
> > opening, line distance etc.)
>
> I use myself the lettre (and not letter :) package [1] for LaTeX. It
> is easy to use, clean but maybe a bit old in the way to do things
> (mainly because of the 'Concerne' stuff). But it gives a good example
> of how have to be letters in Suisse Romande and France.
>
> [1] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/lettre.html

Hi Antoine,

I will made a still based on the examples in the manual.

I have to add also french labels for the reference line.

Wolfgang

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-21  7:02   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-21  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
<wwl@musensturm.de> wrote:
> On 19 Apr 2008 at 14:41, ntg-context-request@ntg.nl wrote:
>
> > > I still use the LaTeX class scrlttr2 for my letters.
> > > I use adress files bundled with that class. Adresses are macros
> > > and selected by a string-key.
> >
> > I know the \adrentry for scrlltr and could add this function but
> > not at the moment and only as letter extension.
> >
> > > Maybe it would be nice, if there could be a interface to such a key
> > > and a lua-function (which defaults to return) taking this key as
> > > argument. So everybody can write his own adress-import function.
> >
> > You should also take a look into Hans correspondence [1] manual,
> > I prefer to make something based on a xml database on it is possible
> > to write serial letters as told in the manual bot not to use some
> > information for just one letter.
> >
> > I will add it on my todo list.
>
> The idea was NOT to use THIS or THAT adress format.
> Instead implementing something like a generic import interface.

Hi Wolfgang,

I took a look into the default definition for \adrentry and it simple
to add it to the module, a interface for different formats would be
indeed the optimum but I should first finish the interface.

Wolfgang

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
       [not found] <mailman.6074.1208608916.4340.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2008-04-19 16:35 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2008-04-19 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 19 Apr 2008 at 14:41, ntg-context-request@ntg.nl wrote:

> > I still use the LaTeX class scrlttr2 for my letters.
> > I use adress files bundled with that class. Adresses are macros
> > and selected by a string-key.
>
> I know the \adrentry for scrlltr and could add this function but
> not at the moment and only as letter extension.
>
> > Maybe it would be nice, if there could be a interface to such a
> key
> > and a lua-function (which defaults to return) taking this key as
> > argument. So everybody can write his own adress-import function.
>
> You should also take a look into Hans correspondence [1] manual,
> I prefer to make something based on a xml database on it is
> possible
> to write serial letters as told in the manual bot not to use some
> information for just one letter.
>
> I will add it on my todo list.

The idea was NOT to use THIS or THAT adress format.
Instead implementing something like a generic import interface.

Gruß, Wolfgang

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-19 11:49       ` Antoine Junod
From: Antoine Junod @ 2008-04-19 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Wolfgang Schuster" <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

>> >  > The discussion
>> >  >
>> >  > Before I start to give you information about my module and
>> >  > give you the chance to mention your own wishes or thoughts
>> >  > about the inteface I'm interested what do you use currently to
>> >  > write you own correspondence (letter, invoices etc.).
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> But with a « great letter module » (with french positions, of course :))…
>
> Show me a few example or give me values for the positions (address block,
> opening, line distance etc.)

I use myself the lettre (and not letter :) package [1] for LaTeX. It
is easy to use, clean but maybe a bit old in the way to do things
(mainly because of the 'Concerne' stuff). But it gives a good example
of how have to be letters in Suisse Romande and France.

My 2 cents worth,
A+
-AJ

@ 2008-04-19 10:30       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-19 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Willi,

> I will try to provide you with something. The difficulty is, that I
> do not have LaTeX running. So please some patience.

You could also draw something by hand and add values for
the distance from the top or left margin and the height and
width for the fields.

Take a look at the following examples:

http://www.din-5008-richtlinien.de/musterbriefboegen.php

Link: "englische Version" on page 180
http://www.komascript.de/scrdoc/

You could use both examples as template and I dont need
so many values.

Wolfgang

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-18 19:45     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2008-04-18 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

I will try to provide you with something. The difficulty is, that I
do not have LaTeX running. So please some patience.

Kind regards

Willi

@ 2008-04-18  8:13   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-18  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Willi Egger <w.egger@boede.nl> wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> First of all thanks for this initiative! - Until now I composed a
> letter based on a "template" I build one day. Nothing special though.

I started also with mayn hard coded values and only a few parameters
and replaced part by part.

> - Still a module which would allow for writing letters and quotes
> consistently  would make live easier.
> As I am living in the Netherlands, we use commonly block-style
> letters. Will your module provide the possibility to use a header on
> the first page and e.g. a smaller something in the margin on the
> second and following pages? Will your module provide page-numbering
> switched on beginning at the second page if the document is longer
> than 1 page? - This last point is in my environment always a struggle...

Very easy to do with ConTeXt because you could define different
layouts for every page and what I do is to set the headerheight for the
first page to 0pt and set it to another value like 1cm on the second
page. You could now write the pagenumber as headertext because there
is no header on the first page and the pagenumber will start on the
second page.

> The Dutch TeX users group has released on CTAN a ntgclass.zip
> (LaTeX). There are three articles which might help to "enlighten"
> you. Unfortunately two of the three articles are written in Dutch
> (briefdoc.pdf, brief.pdf). In case you intend to include ideas
> contained in this NEN-1026 style letter I am happy to help you
> translating the important parts of those articles.

Can you show me a few example letters with values for all fields,
I saw a few in Hans letter documentation [1] and the works depends
on one point, is the height and position for the reference and address
block fixed or did it depend on the content.

If the fields have a fixed height it is easy to write a style file but if the
height depends on the content a need a little bit more time and I will
implement it in a proper way, I have this problem also with american
block style and a solution should be integrated in a consistent way
with the rest of the module.

> I am looking forward to your module

I still wait for comments about the user interface to set the values
before I will release my module to the public although my last stable
version is only available.

Greetings
Wolfgang

[1] http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-man-29.htm

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-18  7:50         ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-04-18  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 18 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> > I don't know, if lettre.lco is readable for you, so here the idea in
> > clear-text:
>
> I will try it later today on my system, can you send me a example letter
> before I had to take a look into scrguide.pdf.

I'm sorry, it would be too much work for me, to find the right version of
scrlttr2.cls, that works with my lettre.lco. The file is 5 years old, and I
know that it's no more working for quite some time now.

Nevertheless, here an example, that should work with some old KOMA-version:

\documentclass[lettre]{scrlttr2}
\begin{document}
\begin{letter}{Madame Bla\\Bla bla\\160 rue bla\\72031 Le Mans Cedex 9}
\opening{Madame Bla,}%
\input tufte
\closing{Cordialement,}
\end{letter}
\end{document}

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-04-18  7:50 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2008-04-18  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-04-18  7:12       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-18  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:
> Am 2008-04-17 um 16:32 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
> >> I normally use InDesign for my business letters and invoices.
> > Dou you use a template for your letters.
>
> Not an InDesign template file (.idt), but a single document (with
> master pages) for every purpose (German/Swiss/English, letter/
> invoice, private/business) that I overwrite every time. (I save a
> copy if the matter is important.)
>
> > LaTeX has two packages to create invoices and we could also
> > have one for ConTeXt but it makes only sense to use it with LuaTeX,
> > TeX's arithmetic to limited for longer calculations.
>
> For other purposes I simply write my TeX code with a script, mostly
> only one file that contains the "dynamical" data and gets included.
>
> E.g.
> - cover for backup CD/DVDs (that script even has a GUI - it reads a
> disk; shows the directory tree, so you can select which parts you'd
> like to be visible; writes a TeX file; calls ConTeXt and opens the PDF)
>
> - my address book (pulls and formats data from a MySQL database)
>
> - business cards for one big company (I receive an Excel file with
> personnel data, save it as CSV and "convert" that to ConTeXt, PDF
> with one page per person gets imposed and printed on cardboard with
> pre-printed logo)
>
> >> Another problem were different letter heads for first, odd and even
> >> pages.
> >
> > Different header for the first and another one for the following
> > headers
> > is simple and possible with my module. The option to change the layout
> > for odd and even pages is currently not supported but should be
> > possible but it has to be integrated in the normal interface.
>
> My sheets have a pre-printed logo, I use the same for all pages of a
> letter.
>
> On the first page I need address and bank data.

Easy to do with layers,option state=start.

> On even pages (back side) there's no logo, so I don't need the big
> top border.

Harder to implement because I hide the layers from the user and
I don't know hoe I could support the doublesided option but it is
possible to one special layers (lefthead/righthead) for just this feature.

> Normally I leave out the first even page, e.g. my job application
> starts with an one-side letter, the following data (CV, references
> etc.) uses front and back page.

Different layouts for left and right pages are not supported because
letters are normally printed singlesided or the header has only on
the first page a different layout but this could be related to the
restrictions in Word why I newver saw this.

CV's are another topic and it makes sense to use a seperate
environment for them, this is what I did for myself.

> The application had the additional difficulty that there's the photo
> on the CV page, and I wanted the title in white *on* the photo...

I don't get what you mean, can you give me a example.

> At least in the "online" PDF - I used modes to produce both printed
> version (without logo, because that's pre-printed on my sheets) and
> email version (with logo)

\startmode[print]

\setupletterstyle[header=no]

\stopmode

> >> (It would have been *much* easier to use InDesign for that stuff,
> >> like for most other designs that I do...)
> >
> > This is also possible with ConTeXt because you could setup layers
> > to place content dependent on left and right pages and the page layout
> > could also change for left and right pages as long as you don't change
> > the text width.
>
> I used layers and setups, but I had difficulties switching them on
> and off. And what not - can't remember everything.

A few things are easy and I can do basic things without any manuals but
advanced layouts are only possible with the source and trial and error.

It is even harder to place layers if you want to fix them on lines in grid mode
in the text with frames a content for the layer.

Wolfgang

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-18  6:59       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-18  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
> > > Then, for some reason that I forgot, I switched to scrlttr2.cls. And I
> > > patched it to get the same minimum-50%-feature. Unfortunately, this patch is
> > > no more working with recent versions of scrlttr2...
> > > (-> http://pmrb.free.fr/work/OS/LaTeX/lettre.lco )
> > >
> > > I would welcome such a feature in your module!
> >
> > I dont't have such a feature in the module I find it interesting.
> >
> > Page breaks before the signature can still happen at the moment
> > because I hadn't done anything against this problem but it is on
> > my Todo list.
>
> I don't know, if lettre.lco is readable for you, so here the idea in
> clear-text:

I will try it later today on my system, can you send me a example letter
before I had to take a look into scrguide.pdf.

> - some vertical spaces (for example around the opening, between paragraphs,
>  around the subject line, etc) can be decreased or increased by a global
>  stretch-value (called "tension" in my file)
> - at the first texexec run, this value has to be reset to 0
> - if the last page gets filled to <50%, then trigger a next texexec-run,
>  with a decremented stretch-value for a filling <25% and an incremented
>  value for a filling >25%, until the last page is filled to >50%.

Sounds interesting.

> I think, there is already a command like \savetwopassdata or similar, so it
> should be easy with ConTeXt. If you want, I can try to integrate this
> feature after your public release.

Hans posted at the end of 2007 (or begin 2008) a example to optimize the
output and will try to integrate it.

The feature can be enable with \setupletterstyle[optimize=yes] or a similar
key name.

Wolfgang

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-18  6:51     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-04-18  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-04-18  6:21   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-18  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
> > After nearly one and a helf years and 2 major revisions I have
> > nearly finished my module and would will make it now available
> > also to other users. But before I make my last stable version
> > online I want to discuss a few points with interested users.
>
> Hello Wolfgang,
>
> Already in advance: thank you very much!  With such a module, I can finally
> forget really all about LaTeX. Sometimes I still use scrlttr2.cls and at
> these moments I swear to write a letter module one day. Now I know, that I
> won't need to do this difficult (for me) task.

You're free to your own interface for the module, i.e. it is possible
to change the way to change the user interface. I provide besides
my default interface also one to use the one from Donald Knuth in
the TeXBook and also the interface from Hans Hagens m-letter.

@ 2008-04-18  6:03       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-18  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:
> Am 2008-04-17 um 17:08 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
> >> You need a closing ("Sincerely,") and signature, and don't forget
> >> enough
> >> topspace to accommodate a company logo/letterhead :-)
> >
> > You set closing and signature also with the optional argument for
> > \startletter
> >
> > \startletter
> >   [opening=Dear Idris\textcomma,
> >    closing=Sincerely\textcomma,
> >    signature=Wolfgang Schuster]
>
> Would you support an externalfigure for the signature?
>
> e.g.
>
> Yours,
> [my fancy signature graphics]
> Henning Hraban Ramm

You could write

\setupletter
  [data]
  [signature={\externalfigure[my_fancy_signature][height=2\lineheight]}]

Greetings
Wolfgang

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-04-17 20:59   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-04-17 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 17 2008, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>    * Quite a bit of correspondence is invoices and quotes,
>      with automatic calculations in them (VAT etc).

Hello Taco,

Quite funny: Just 3 days ago, I wrote t-invoice.tex for my personal needs,
just 1 command and very very simple:
\startInvoice
\invoiceItem[description=Ballon eau chaude, price={5063,4 + 1115,87}]
\invoiceItem[description=Vase d'expansion, price={386,25}]
\invoiceItem[description=Plan d'implantation du bâtiment, price={257,14}]
\invoiceItem[description=Branchement d'eau, price={2891,62}]
\stopInvoice

\stopInvoice prints the total.

Here the definitions (can be enhanced and/or wikified):

\startluacode
-- namespace
thirddata = thirddata or { }
thirddata.invoices = {}
thirddata.invoices.total = 0
thirddata.invoices.pos = 1

-- get price with right format
-- p: the price
-- return price with right format
function thirddata.invoices.format(p)
	local s = string.format("%.2f", p)
	s = s:gsub("%.", ",")
	return s
end

-- print new item
-- d: the description
-- p: the price
function thirddata.invoices.new_item(d, p)
	thirddata.invoices.total = thirddata.invoices.total + p
	tex.print("\\bTR\\bTD" .. string.format("%03d", thirddata.invoices.pos) ..
		  "\\eTD\\bTD " .. d .. "\\eTD\\bTD " ..
		  thirddata.invoices.format(p) .. "\\eTD\\eTR")
	thirddata.invoices.pos = thirddata.invoices.pos + 1
end
\stopluacode

\def\invoiceItem{\dosingleargument\doinvoiceItem}
\def\doinvoiceItem[#1]{\getparameters[IV][#1]
  \ctxlua{thirddata.invoices.new_item("\IVdescription",
    \ctxlua{local s = string.gsub("\IVprice", ",", "."); tex.print(s)})}}

\def\invoiceTotal{%
  \ctxlua{tex.print(thirddata.invoices.format(thirddata.invoices.total))}}

\def\startInvoice{\start
  \setupTABLE[frame=off,textwidth=\textwidth,option=stretch]
  \setupTABLE[r][first][bottomframe=on]
  \setupTABLE[r][2,last][top=\blank]
  \setupTABLE[c][first,2][align=flushleft]
  \setupTABLE[c][last][align={flushright,lohi}]
  \bTABLE\bTR\bTH Position \eTH\bTH Description \eTH\bTH Prix \eTH\eTR}

\def\stopInvoice{\bTR\bTD[nc=2,align=flushright]Total:\eTD
  \bTD \invoiceTotal\eTD\eTR\eTABLE\stop}

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

@ 2008-04-17 20:48 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-04-17 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-04-17 19:24     ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2008-04-17 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang> LaTeX has two packages to create invoices and we could also
Wolfgang> have one for ConTeXt but it makes only sense to use it with
Wolfgang> LuaTeX, TeX's arithmetic to limited for longer calculations.

Let me just say that I'd found a use for invoices and letters in ConTeXt
with LuaTeX...

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-17 15:34     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-17 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-04-17 um 17:08 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>> You need a closing ("Sincerely,") and signature, and don't forget
>> enough
>> topspace to accommodate a company logo/letterhead :-)
>
> You set closing and signature also with the optional argument for
> \startletter
>
> \startletter
>   [opening=Dear Idris\textcomma,
>    closing=Sincerely\textcomma,
>    signature=Wolfgang Schuster]

Would you support an externalfigure for the signature?

e.g.

Yours,
[my fancy signature graphics]
Henning Hraban Ramm

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-17 15:32     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-17 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-04-17 15:08   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-17 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid
<ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 02:13:54 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Take the following minimal example
> >
> > \usemodule[letter]
> >
> > \setupletter
> >   [sender]
> >   [name={Mike Meiers},
> >    address={Mustergasse 12\\25694 Musterstadt}]
> >
> > \setupletter
> >   [address]
> >   [name={Hans Hansen},
> >    address={Zielweg 34\\78561 Tiny Town}]
> >
> > \starttext
> >
> > \startletter
> >   [opening={Dear Hans,}]
> >
> > letter text
> >
> > \stopletter
> >
> > \stoptext
>
> You need a closing ("Sincerely,") and signature, and don't forget enough
> topspace to accommodate a company logo/letterhead :-)

You set closing and signature also with the optional argument for \startletter

\startletter
  [opening=Dear Idris\textcomma,
   closing=Sincerely\textcomma,
   signature=Wolfgang Schuster]

You could define your own letterhead but by default I use just
name and address from the sender.

> FWIW: Here is the basic structure of my setup (based on someone else's
> work, I forget his name):
> =================
> \protect
>
> %\setuppapersize[A4][A4]
> \setuppapersize[letter][letter]
>
> \setuplayout[header=.5in,
>              topspace=1.37in,
>              backspace=1.5in,
>              footer=0mm,
>              %header=0in,
>              %,width=middle,
>              width=middle,
>                         lines=60,
>              height=middle] % margins etc.
>
> \setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic]
> \setuppagenumbering[state=stop]
>
> \long\def\addresser#1{\leavevmode\blank[1*line]
>                                           \lbox{#1}}
>
> % Defines field for receiver's address and places it at right position.
> \long\def\addressee#1{\rbox{#1}}
>
> % Subject line, in bold face.
> \long\def\lettersubject#1{\blank[2*line]{\BF %Re:
>                                         #1}}
>
> \long\def\letteropening#1{\blank[line]#1} % opening...
>
> \definestartstop
>   [letter]
>   [before={\blank[line]\setupwhitespace[medium]},
>     after={}]
>
> \long\def\letterclosing#1#2{\vbox{\blank[line]#1\blank[3*line]#2}} % and
> the closing formula
>
> \unprotect

Simple but working solution but a formal german requires a little
bit more work because most of the field use fixed positions whereas
blocks styles are written from top to bottom and each field use only
as much space as the text needs.

Wolfgang

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-17 14:32   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-17 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-04-17 14:21         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-17 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Olivier Guéry <nemolivier@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > Happy to read that I'm not the only one !
> >  > But with a « great letter module » (with french positions, of course :))…
> >
> >  Show me a few example or give me values for the positions (address block,
> >  opening, line distance etc.)
> >
> >  I can only provide solutions if you give me information.
>
> Of course. I must find them… maybe the french association of TeX user.
>
> What do you think about a wiki page about this in order to put all the
> specifications ?

I don't care, you could also send me a picture with boxes and the values
but I created now a page on the wiki http://wiki.contextgarden.net/letter
where you can collcet your information.

Wolfgang

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-17 14:17 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-17 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-04-17 um 10:13 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
> Before I start to give you information about my module and
> give you the chance to mention your own wishes or thoughts
> about the inteface I'm interested what do you use currently to
> write you own correspondence (letter, invoices etc.).

I normally use InDesign for my business letters and invoices.

But I coded my last job applications completely in ConTeXt and
adapted Holger Schöner's environment for my needs.

I remember it was not that easy to get my address and logo exactly in
the same places as in my InDesign template - I use sheets with some
pre-printed elements.

Another problem were different letter heads for first, odd and even
pages.

(It would have been *much* easier to use InDesign for that stuff,
like for most other designs that I do...)

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-17 14:12 ` Idris Samawi Hamid
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-04-17 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

                                         #1}}

\long\def\letteropening#1{\blank[line]#1} % opening...

\definestartstop
   [letter]
   [before={\blank[line]\setupwhitespace[medium]},
     after={}]

\long\def\letterclosing#1#2{\vbox{\blank[line]#1\blank[3*line]#2}} % and
the closing formula

\unprotect

=================

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-17 14:07       ` Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-04-17 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  > Happy to read that I'm not the only one !
>  > But with a « great letter module » (with french positions, of course :))…
>
>  Show me a few example or give me values for the positions (address block,
>  opening, line distance etc.)
>
>  I can only provide solutions if you give me information.

Of course. I must find them… maybe the french association of TeX user.

What do you think about a wiki page about this in order to put all the
specifications ?

Cheers,
Olivier.

--
[Message tapé sur un clavier Bépo : http://www.clavier-dvorak.org ]
Olivier nemolivier@gmail.com http://nemolivier.blogspot.com

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-17 14:02     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-17 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-04-17 13:19   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-17 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> >
> > The discussion
> >
> > Before I start to give you information about my module and
> > give you the chance to mention your own wishes or thoughts
> > about the inteface I'm interested what do you use currently to
> > write you own correspondence (letter, invoices etc.).
>
> This may be a surprise, but I use only oowriter/oocalc
> currently. Why?
>
>   * I have many different envelopes to cater for, with and
>     without address windows.

This is why I seperate content and layout, the input for the data
and text is always the same but layout and fields/information
depend on the output.

>   * I sometimes need DIN letters, but sometimes just an
>     informal note to accompany an item

Nothing can be more formal than a german letter in DIN style,
lots of rules with fixed values from the typewriter and many
exceptions.

>   * Quite a bit of correspondence is invoices and quotes,
>     with automatic calculations in them (VAT etc).

I already played with a few basic styles but this should go into
a seperate module and should be a MkIV only thing to get
correct values in the output, although MkII is possible but
I won't trust the results.

> Most of this can be done in tex/luatex of course, but it
> is a lot of effort compared to hitting <enter> a few extra
> times in oowriter.  Now, if there was a great letter module
> for context .... ;-)

Hans provides a Example interface for his own interface
but I never got it working for myself but a simple user interface
would be nice.

Ideas for the input are welcome, it is completely independant
from the backend and I could also offer the original interface
from Donal Knuth.

> > Before I release I first public bety version of the modul I
> > want to hear which interface to set the letter information do
> > you prefer and do you have things do want in the module.
>
> I definately would like an easy way to switch envelope
> formats, and automatic page 1 of ... would be nice too.

As I told, saw what you want and I could write a letter style.

The total number of page can be set with subpagenumber and
I tried hard to get it working with MkII and MKIV and spend a few
hours to find the last remaining bugs.

Wolfgang

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-17 13:13   ` Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-04-17 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

>  Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>  >
>  > The discussion
>  >
>  > Before I start to give you information about my module and
>  > give you the chance to mention your own wishes or thoughts
>  > about the inteface I'm interested what do you use currently to
>  > write you own correspondence (letter, invoices etc.).
>
>  This may be a surprise, but I use only oowriter/oocalc
>  currently. Why?
>
>    * I have many different envelopes to cater for, with and
>      without address windows.
>
>    * I sometimes need DIN letters, but sometimes just an
>      informal note to accompany an item
>
>    * Quite a bit of correspondence is invoices and quotes,
>      with automatic calculations in them (VAT etc).
>
>  Most of this can be done in tex/luatex of course, but it
>  is a lot of effort compared to hitting <enter> a few extra
>  times in oowriter.  Now, if there was a great letter module
>  for context .... ;-)

Happy to read that I'm not the only one !
But with a « great letter module » (with french positions, of course :))…

Olivier.

--
[Message tapé sur un clavier Bépo : http://www.clavier-dvorak.org ]
Olivier nemolivier@gmail.com http://nemolivier.blogspot.com

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-17 12:45   ` Arthur Reutenauer
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-04-17 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This may be a surprise, but I use only oowriter/oocalc
> currently. Why?

 Traitor ;-)

* Re: Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-17 12:40 ` Taco Hoekwater
                     ` (3 more replies)
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-04-17 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> The discussion
>
> Before I start to give you information about my module and
> give you the chance to mention your own wishes or thoughts
> about the inteface I'm interested what do you use currently to
> write you own correspondence (letter, invoices etc.).

This may be a surprise, but I use only oowriter/oocalc
currently. Why?

   * I have many different envelopes to cater for, with and
     without address windows.

   * I sometimes need DIN letters, but sometimes just an
     informal note to accompany an item

   * Quite a bit of correspondence is invoices and quotes,
     with automatic calculations in them (VAT etc).

Most of this can be done in tex/luatex of course, but it
is a lot of effort compared to hitting <enter> a few extra
times in oowriter.  Now, if there was a great letter module
for context .... ;-)

> Before I release I first public bety version of the modul I
> want to hear which interface to set the letter information do
> you prefer and do you have things do want in the module.

I definately would like an easy way to switch envelope
formats, and automatic page 1 of ... would be nice too.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Discussion: correspondence with ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-17  8:13 Wolfgang Schuster
                   ` (4 more replies)