* where luatex cache?
@ 2008-04-19  6:51 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-04-19  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I have a setup with several users, one acting as system administrator,
the others as users.
What can be said regarding the setup of the luatex cache?
The possibilities I see are:
(1) central cache in the /usr/local/texlive tree;
(2) decentralized cache per user in its local texmf tree
(3) decentralized cache per user in some unrelated directory
(4) decentralized cache per user in /tmp (cleaned out by the system on
restart, i think)

Can someone comment on the merits of these alternatives?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: where luatex cache?
@ 2008-04-19  7:22 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-04-19  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> I have a setup with several users, one acting as system administrator,
> the others as users.
> What can be said regarding the setup of the luatex cache?

First advise: use a local disk. Caches on network paths are
a bad idea.

> The possibilities I see are:
> (1) central cache in the /usr/local/texlive tree;

The cache will also contain files downloaded at runtime from the
internet (if any). Truly paranoid security people would be against
a central cache for that reason, but otherwise this is best.

> (2) decentralized cache per user in its local texmf tree
> (3) decentralized cache per user in some unrelated directory

Whether the tree is within or outside of texmf doesn't matter
to the system. Choose your location based on personal preference.

> (4) decentralized cache per user in /tmp (cleaned out by the system on
> restart, i think)

Just like the old /var/tex tree, most of the files in the cache are
supposed to be long-lived (formats, preprocessed fonts). Ram-based
or auto-cleaned filesystems are a decidedly bad idea (unless your
disk is continually at 99%)

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: where luatex cache?
@ 2008-04-19 12:41 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-19 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> I have a setup with several users, one acting as system administrator,
> the others as users.
> What can be said regarding the setup of the luatex cache?
> The possibilities I see are:
> (1) central cache in the /usr/local/texlive tree;

if users share the tree, this is an option

> (2) decentralized cache per user in its local texmf tree

also ok, but more resources

> (3) decentralized cache per user in some unrelated directory

could be hard to locate in case of wanted cleanups

> (4) decentralized cache per user in /tmp (cleaned out by the system on
> restart, i think)

depends on how often you restart ...

> Can someone comment on the merits of these alternatives?

here i use c:/temp, i.e. just the global windows temp path; this has the
advantage that in case of a manual cleanup of temp files, the cashe also
get erased

btw, there is:

mtxrun --script cache

for cache managing and inspection

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: where luatex cache?
@ 2008-04-19 12:42   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-19 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> The cache will also contain files downloaded at runtime from the
> internet (if any). Truly paranoid security people would be against
> a central cache for that reason, but otherwise this is best.

so maybe at some point we need two caches

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: where luatex cache?
@ 2008-04-19 13:05     ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-04-19 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 apr 2008, at 14:42, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> The cache will also contain files downloaded at runtime from the
>> internet (if any). Truly paranoid security people would be against
>> a central cache for that reason, but otherwise this is best.
>
> so maybe at some point we need two caches

I guess you are right with the two caches. I encountered sometimes
files in the cache with restricted permissions like rw-r--r-- which
prevented updating for all others than the user who originally wrote
the file.
Probably one central cache for static/general things and one under the
user home directory for local things.

Hans van der Meer