From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: typescript
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:13:29 +0200	[thread overview]

Antoine Junod wrote:
> Hello, List!
>
> Follownig your recommendations while playing with fonts, I've started
> to write one. It's actually very basic but I already have a few
> questions. Here is the basic, working stuff I did until now:
>
> \starttypescript[serif][garamondpp]
>     \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Roman]      [GaramondPremrPro]
>     \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Bold]       [GaramondPremrPro-Bd]
>     \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Italic]     [GaramondPremrPro-It]
>     \definefontsynonym [GaramondPP-Bold-Italic][GaramondPremrPro-BdIt]
> \stoptypescript
>
> If I've understood what I did in that part, I've simply defined alias
> for the font file names. What I do not catch is the \starttypescript
> line. Is it right to say that the second parameter is the name of the
> 'class' to which the definitions that follow are linked? Second
> question on that part: Is the first argument (serif) a reserved
> keyword or not? What's the point of that argument? Third and last
> question for that part, in the case, as in here, where the font file
> names are easy to remember, is it still needed to create that synonyms
> for any reason?
>
> Then, I wrote the [name] part of the typescript, as the following:
>
> \starttypescript[serif][garamondpp][name]
>     \definefontsynonym [Serif]                  [GaramondPP-Roman]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]              [GaramondPP-Bold]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]            [GaramondPP-Italic]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifSlanted]           [SerifItalic]
>     \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]        [GaramondPP-Bold-Italic]
> \stoptypescript
>
> If I caught the point of the last argument, it is here to indicate
> that what follows links font files to the pre-defined font concept
> that are Serif, SerifBold, SerifItalic and so on and so on). Here are
> my questions: I've seen in the sources that there were 7 predefined
> types in the Serif family: Serif, SerifBold, SerifItalic,
> SerifSlanted, SerifBoldItalic and SerifBoldSlanted. What if I have a
> font that not only have a Bold face but also a Medium face and a
> SemiBold face? Second question: my font do not have a slanted face and
> I do not want to have pieces of computer modern in the text because,
> by mistake, I typed an \sl switch or something related. To avoid that,
> you can see I declared SerifSlanted to be a synonym for
> SerifItalic. Is it the way to do that or is it better to directly
> define SerifSlanted as a synonym to GaramondPP-Italic (in my case)?

in principle you can use any name you want, however in practice
typescripts are called in sequence, so at some point SerifBold is used
to define a font and in order to resolve someplace else then also
SerifBold has to be used

the serif, mono, etc are all related to predefined prescripts (just grep
for them) and defining a typeface (see type-ini.tex) just calls up
certain typescripts; consider the arguments to starttypescript as a filer:

\starttypescript[a][b][c]

permits

if not(a) and inset(a) and (not(b) or inset(b)) or (not(a) or inset(c)
then ...

instead of medium .. just define another combination ... see definitions
of iwona cum suis and fonts in type-buy/ghz

> And for the last part of my little type script:
>
> \starttypescript [GaramondPP]
>     \definetypeface [GaramondPP][rm][serif][garamondpp][default]
> \stoptypescript
>
> That part is for me a beautiful piece of ununderstanding :) First
> question: the first argument is the name we will use with the
> \usetypescript command. Right? Second question: the first argument of

indeed

> the \definetypescript is the name that will be used with the
> \setupbodyfont call. Is it right? Isn't there any conflict with the
> GaramondPP of the \starttypescript and the one of the \definetypeface?

no, they're independent

> Or do they need to be the same? Other question: how are related the
> three following parameters (rm, serif and garamondpp)? And finally,
> what's the point of the 'default' argument?

rm: internal tex collections (rm, ss, tt, mm), also related to sizes
serif: just a filter (refers to generic serif typescripts)
default: also a filter, this time for size

> I'm aware that's a huge load of questions. Nothing is urgent but every
> replies are welcome, and that will allow me to help others. More
> questions will certainly occurs later (certainly related to sizes) but
> at first I'll try to better understand all what is above.

so, most of typescripts deal with filtering and sequences of name resolving

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE