* typesetting modules
@ 2008-04-19 12:30 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-04-19 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

For typesetting a context module I did the following, first making
a .ted file and then typesetting it:
texmfstart ctxtools --documentation --type=pdf char-utf.tex
texmfstart texexec --silent --pdf --autopdf

However I got an unknown format cont-nl.fmt. Why is nl chosen?
What I am doing wrong here?
I always use cont-en.fmt and have my MacOSX preference language set to
english.
How can I change the obvious default behaviour from nl to en?

127 ~/TeX/test: texmfstart ctxtools --documentation --type=pdf char-
utf.tex
CtxTools | input file : char-utf.tex
CtxTools | output file : char-utf.ted
CtxTools | filetype : pdf
CtxTools | documentation sections : 5
CtxTools | definition sections : 6
CtxTools | skipped sections : 0
128 ~/TeX/test: texmfstart texexec --silent --pdf --autopdf char-utf.ted
TeXExec | processing document 'char-utf.ted'
TeXExec | no ctx file found
TeXExec | tex processing method: context
TeXExec | TeX run 1
TeXExec | writing option file char-utf.top
TeXExec | using randomseed 772
TeXExec | tex engine: pdftex
TeXExec | tex format: cont-nl
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.7 (Web2C 7.5.6)
  \write18 enabled.
  %&-line parsing enabled.
  (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-context/web2c/natural.tcx)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt cont-nl.fmt
fmtutil: format directory `/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c' is not
writable.
I can't find the format file `cont-nl.fmt'!
TeXExec | runtime: 2.008775

Hans van der Meer

* Re: typesetting modules
@ 2008-04-19 12:39 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-04-19 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> For typesetting a context module I did the following, first making
> a .ted file and then typesetting it:
> texmfstart ctxtools --documentation --type=pdf char-utf.tex
> texmfstart texexec --silent --pdf --autopdf
>
> However I got an unknown format cont-nl.fmt. Why is nl chosen?
> What I am doing wrong here?

Nothing, but ted files use dutch macro commands, so they need
the dutch interface.

For the record: you can switch to another interface with

   texexec --interface=en ...

but it won't work for ted files.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: typesetting modules
@ 2008-04-19 12:45   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-04-19 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>> For typesetting a context module I did the following, first making
>> a .ted file and then typesetting it:
>> texmfstart ctxtools --documentation --type=pdf char-utf.tex
>> texmfstart texexec --silent --pdf --autopdf
>>
>> However I got an unknown format cont-nl.fmt. Why is nl chosen?
>> What I am doing wrong here?
>
> Nothing, but ted files use dutch macro commands, so they need
> the dutch interface.

I was totally misinforming you, sorry. Let me start over... hangon.

* Re: typesetting modules
@ 2008-04-19 13:02     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-04-19 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>>> For typesetting a context module I did the following, first making  a
>>> .ted file and then typesetting it:
>>> texmfstart ctxtools --documentation --type=pdf char-utf.tex
>>> texmfstart texexec --silent --pdf --autopdf
>>>
>>> However I got an unknown format cont-nl.fmt. Why is nl chosen?
>>> What I am doing wrong here?
>>
>> Nothing, but ted files use dutch macro commands, so they need
>> the dutch interface.
>
> I was totally misinforming you, sorry. Let me start over... hangon.

Here we go: it uses the dutch interface because there is no explicit
interface given in the file nor on the command line, and it so happens
that line 3 of <whatever>.ted contains

   \startdocumentation

This matches the dutch heuristics for interface discovery because
it is a superset of \startdocument. The second case in scantexcontent
in tex.rb probably should have something like a \b at the end of the
match.

I was confused because

    texexec --interface=en char-utf.ted

doesn't work either, but that is unrelated. You need to preload
a module that texexec --module would load automatically:

   texexec --interface=en --use=mod-01 char-utf.ted

That should do it.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: typesetting modules
@ 2008-04-19 14:03       ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-04-19 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 apr 2008, at 15:02, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> texexec --interface=en --use=mod-01 char-utf.ted
Does the trick. thanks.

Hans van der Meer

* Re: typesetting modules
@ 2008-04-19 15:23       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-19 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>>> Nothing, but ted files use dutch macro commands, so they need
>>> the dutch interface.
>> I was totally misinforming you, sorry. Let me start over... hangon.
>
> Here we go: it uses the dutch interface because there is no explicit
> interface given in the file nor on the command line, and it so happens
> that line 3 of <whatever>.ted contains
>
>    \startdocumentation

ah, i can remove that test because i don't think that nowadays anyone is
using startdocument (old functionality to build styles for letters,
stickers, etc)

> This matches the dutch heuristics for interface discovery because
> it is a superset of \startdocument. The second case in scantexcontent
> in tex.rb probably should have something like a \b at the end of the
> match.
>
> I was confused because
>
>     texexec --interface=en char-utf.ted
>
> doesn't work either, but that is unrelated. You need to preload
> a module that texexec --module would load automatically:
>
>    texexec --interface=en --use=mod-01 char-utf.ted
>
> That should do it.

or

texexec --modu char-utf.tex

thinking of it ... i add this feature to one of the mtx-* files because:

(1) the whole conversion can be done in memory so no intermediate file
is needed
(2) the xml interface loading when using luatex is less demanding (and
can result in faster runs for bigger documents

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE