* Fwd: (Classical) greek in ConTeXt/Gamma [please forward]
       [not found] <41112589@webmail.colostate.edu>
@ 2004-07-26 11:37 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2004-07-26 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris sent me this asking me to forward it. My reply follows.

Hi Giuseppe,

I was digging in the archives and came across this; I don't think I ever saw
this message (must have been busy at the time). Did you ever get an answer?
I'm sure that editing the otp's will get you the result u wanted quite easily,
but in the year since u wrote this u've probably figured that out already:-)

Best
Idri

[NTG-context] (Classical) greek in ConTeXt/Gamma
Giuseppe Bilotta ntg-context@ntg.nl
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:40:35 +0200

Hello,

I don't know if Idris is following the group (I hope he is), but
anyway I have a couple of questions on the support for Greek in
ConTeXt, Omega and thus also Gamma.

The need is that of typesetting classical greek snippets in a
latin (Italian, but could be English) context. I thought that
ConTeXt+(e-)Omega would be the best thing in town, so I prepared a
small test file:

\usemodule[gamma]

\mainlanguage[italian]

\starttext

Possiamo scrivere tranquillamente in italiano; questo non ci priva
per\`o della possibilit\`a di scrivere in greco: vediamo subito
l'alfabeto minuscolo e maiuscolo (notare come j dia \greek{j}
e c dia il sigma di fine parola \greek{c}):

\startgreek
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
\stopgreek

\`E ovviamente possibile usare segni diacritici come gli accenti
(\greek{`a, 'a, =a}) o gli spiriti (\greek{<r, >w}); osserviamo
come questi assumano automaticamente la posizione corretta nel
caso di lettere maiuscole (\greek{`A, 'A, =A, <A, >A, Ai})

\stoptext

While it seems to work pretty well most of the time, there seem to
be some problems; I'd like to know where they arise from and if
and how they can be fixed. The problems:

Combination               Doesn't give
  <r                       rho with spirit
  =A                       capital alpha with circumflex
  <A                       capital alpha with spirit

Moreover, I don't know how to write the subscribed iota. My system
is a MiKTeX 2.2 with (e-)Omega 1.15. Does anybody have an idea?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

My reply:

Well, I'm pretty sure the bug is in the OTPs that come with
Omega (which is pretty funny, considering that Yannis *is*
Greek ...). I guess that when the rougher edges in Aleph are
fixed we'll start correcting the OCPs :)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Fwd: (Classical) greek in ConTeXt/Gamma [please forward]
@ 2004-07-26 17:52   ` Thomas A.Schmitz
From: Thomas A.Schmitz @ 2004-07-26 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, this is pretty old news, so I'm not sure if a reply is still
called for; whatever, here comes: I'm not quite sure why Giuseppe is
trying to use eomega instead of plain ole pdftex. I mean, you're not
writing Greek in Unicode, right? If you're still interested, drop me a
line, I have a home-cooked Greek package for ConTeXt which works very
well on my box (which is teTeX on Mac OS X); I could send you the
files. And the iota subscript is usuall done with an | after the vowel,
as in a|. The combination =A (alpha with circumflex) does not occur in
classical Greek without a breathing, but <r and <A definitely ought to
work.

HTH

Thomas

@ 2004-07-27  9:32     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-07-27  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:

> Well, this is pretty old news, so I'm not sure if a reply is still
> called for; whatever, here comes: I'm not quite sure why Giuseppe is
> trying to use eomega instead of plain ole pdftex. I mean, you're not
> writing Greek in Unicode, right? If you're still interested, drop me a
> line, I have a home-cooked Greek package for ConTeXt which works very
> well on my box (which is teTeX on Mac OS X); I could send you the
> files. And the iota subscript is usuall done with an | after the
> vowel, as in a|. The combination =A (alpha with circumflex) does not
> occur in classical Greek without a breathing, but <r and <A definitely
> ought to work.
>
> HTH
>
> Thomas

i think that it makes sense to figure out some mechanism/interface that
works well with both systems , so  how does  your package look like?

Hans

> [...]
>> and how they can be fixed. The problems:
>>
>> Combination               Doesn't give
>>   <r                       rho with spirit
>>   =A                       capital alpha with circumflex
>>   <A                       capital alpha with spirit
>>

>> Moreover, I don't know how to write the subscribed iota. My system
>> is a MiKTeX 2.2 with (e-)Omega 1.15. Does anybody have an idea?
>>
>> --
>> Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta
>>

>> ===8<===========End of original message text===========
>>
>> My reply:
>>
>> Well, I'm pretty sure the bug is in the OTPs that come with
>> Omega (which is pretty funny, considering that Yannis *is*
>> Greek ...). I guess that when the rougher edges in Aleph are
>> fixed we'll start correcting the OCPs :)
>>
>> --
>> Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

> Deze e-mail is door E-mail VirusScanner van Planet Internet

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re[2]: Fwd: (Classical) greek in ConTeXt/Gamma [please forward]
@ 2004-07-27 10:13     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2004-07-27 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Monday, July 26, 2004 Thomas A.Schmitz wrote:

> Well, this is pretty old news, so I'm not sure if a reply is still
> called for; whatever, here comes: I'm not quite sure why Giuseppe is
> trying to use eomega instead of plain ole pdftex. I mean, you're not
> writing Greek in Unicode, right? If you're still interested, drop me a
> line, I have a home-cooked Greek package for ConTeXt which works very
> well on my box (which is teTeX on Mac OS X); I could send you the
> files. And the iota subscript is usuall done with an | after the vowel,
> as in a|. The combination =A (alpha with circumflex) does not occur in
> classical Greek without a breathing, but <r and <A definitely ought to
> work.

I think it would be worth it to make your package public.
Consider submitting it to CTAN. We should try and populate the
context repository there :) (Tobias, I've read your email, I'm
just catching up with the mail ...)

The reason why I wanted an Omega/Aleph solution was that I am
working on Aleph (the program) and I need to know if there are
bugs and where :)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta