* Uppercase ssharp with XeTeX and LuaTeX
@ 2008-05-13 10:23 Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-13 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

is there a solution for ssharp with XeTeX and LuaTeX, I have a word
with a ß in it
which I convert into uppercase letters and the ß remains a lowercase characters.

This was no problem in the past with pdfTeX because it contained a SS character
for this problem and the output is what I want but I have no solution
for the other
two engines.

\starttext
\WORD{Grußwort}
\stoptext

Greetings
Wolfgang

* Re: Uppercase ssharp with XeTeX and LuaTeX
@ 2008-05-13 10:57 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-05-13 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> is there a solution for ssharp with XeTeX and LuaTeX, I have a word
> with a ß in it
> which I convert into uppercase letters and the ß remains a lowercase characters.

  The problem is that there is no uccode for ß (U+00DF) in char-def.lua
and that Mark IV has no way of taking care of this for the moment.  But
there should be, of course.

	Arthur

* Re: Uppercase ssharp with XeTeX and LuaTeX
@ 2008-05-13 11:51   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-13 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Arthur Reutenauer
<arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> wrote:
> > is there a solution for ssharp with XeTeX and LuaTeX, I have a word
> > with a ß in it
> > which I convert into uppercase letters and the ß remains a lowercase characters.
>
>  The problem is that there is no uccode for ß (U+00DF) in char-def.lua
> and that Mark IV has no way of taking care of this for the moment.  But
> there should be, of course.

I was indeed hoping for a little bit Lua magic to have a working solution but
in this case I prefer something that could be used as argument for the style
key in \doattributes.

\unprotect

\definesystemvariable{xx}

\def\setupcommand
  {\dodoubleargument\getparameters[\??xx]}

\def\startcommand{\dostartattributes\??xx\c!style\c!color\empty}

\def\stopcommand{\dostopattributes}

\setupcommand[style=\it]

\protect

\starttext

\input knuth

\startcommand
\input knuth\par
\stopcommand

\input knuth

\stoptext

It should be possible to say "style=WORD" to get the second text
completely uppercase even if the text is taken from a buffer or a macro.

@ 2008-05-13 12:45     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-05-13 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Arthur Reutenauer
> <arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> wrote:
>>> is there a solution for ssharp with XeTeX and LuaTeX, I have a word
>>> with a ß in it
>>> which I convert into uppercase letters and the ß remains a lowercase characters.
>>  The problem is that there is no uccode for ß (U+00DF) in char-def.lua
>> and that Mark IV has no way of taking care of this for the moment.  But
>> there should be, of course.
>
> I was indeed hoping for a little bit Lua magic to have a working solution but
> in this case I prefer something that could be used as argument for the style
> key in \doattributes.

that would become rather messy

you can define a style yourself and hook in the attribute

or do something

\setupcommand[style={\setcharactercasing[1]\it}]

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-05-13 13:05       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-13 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> >>  The problem is that there is no uccode for ß (U+00DF) in char-def.lua
> >> and that Mark IV has no way of taking care of this for the moment.  But
> >> there should be, of course.
> >
> > I was indeed hoping for a little bit Lua magic to have a working solution but
> > in this case I prefer something that could be used as argument for the style
> > key in \doattributes.
>
> that would become rather messy
>
> you can define a style yourself and hook in the attribute
>
> or do something
>
> \setupcommand[style={\setcharactercasing[1]\it}]

I will try this but don't care too much about this, the style option is only
for the americans to have the subject for a letter in capitals.

@ 2008-05-15  8:03   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-05-15  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>> is there a solution for ssharp with XeTeX and LuaTeX, I have a word
>> with a ß in it
>> which I convert into uppercase letters and the ß remains a lowercase characters.
>
>   The problem is that there is no uccode for ß (U+00DF) in char-def.lua
> and that Mark IV has no way of taking care of this for the moment.  But
> there should be, of course.

Actually, a (lua) version of \uppercase that takes Unicode properties
into account (instead of just \uccode values) would be very useful ;-)

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Uppercase ssharp with XeTeX and LuaTeX
@ 2008-05-15  9:07     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-05-15  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>>> is there a solution for ssharp with XeTeX and LuaTeX, I have a word
>>> with a ß in it
>>> which I convert into uppercase letters and the ß remains a lowercase characters.
>>   The problem is that there is no uccode for ß (U+00DF) in char-def.lua
>> and that Mark IV has no way of taking care of this for the moment.  But
>> there should be, of course.
>
> Actually, a (lua) version of \uppercase that takes Unicode properties
> into account (instead of just \uccode values) would be very useful ;-)

there is one in teh unicode libs, isn't it?

anyhow, when uppercasing, i also check if the font has the characters

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE