* inclusion from image database broken (mkii+mkiv)
@ 2008-05-20  9:10 Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-05-20  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

when i try to include an image from one of my databases i get the
following error messages:

mkii:

!pdfTeX error: pdftex.exe (file ./lib/test-db.pdf): xpdf: reading PDF
image failed (0)
  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

mkiv:

!luaTeX error: xpdf: reading PDF image failed
  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

i looked into the mkiv sources, but didn't succeed. the lua part (db
only) is clear to me, but i couldn't find the point in tex, where
\externalfigure is mapped to this somehow. either i have missed
something or there is some code missing. mh, probably the first one :)

regards, peter

ps: any news about the \string{\{} problem in mkiv?

* Re: inclusion from image database broken (mkii+mkiv)
@ 2008-05-20  9:18 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-05-20  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:
> hi,
>
> when i try to include an image from one of my databases i get the
> following error messages:
>
> mkii:
>
> !pdfTeX error: pdftex.exe (file ./lib/test-db.pdf): xpdf: reading PDF
> image failed (0)
>   ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

i dunno; if there's indeed a file in ./lib/test-db.pdf then it's an xpdf
problem so maybe you need to preflight the file and see what's wrong
with it

> mkiv:
>
> !luaTeX error: xpdf: reading PDF image failed
>   ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>

> i looked into the mkiv sources, but didn't succeed. the lua part (db
> only) is clear to me, but i couldn't find the point in tex, where
> \externalfigure is mapped to this somehow. either i have missed
> something or there is some code missing. mh, probably the first one :)
>
> regards, peter
>

> ps: any news about the \string{\{} problem in mkiv?

this is :

\string { -> letter {
\{ -> depends on definition but probably no bgroup
} -> egroup

so whatever happens, you'll probably end up with closing a group which
in turn will result in an error someplace

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-05-20  9:25 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-05-20  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net> wrote:
> hi,
>
> when i try to include an image from one of my databases i get the
> following error messages:
>
> mkii:
>
> !pdfTeX error: pdftex.exe (file ./lib/test-db.pdf): xpdf: reading PDF
> image failed (0)
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>

> mkiv:
>
> !luaTeX error: xpdf: reading PDF image failed
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>

> i looked into the mkiv sources, but didn't succeed. the lua part (db
> only) is clear to me, but i couldn't find the point in tex, where
> \externalfigure is mapped to this somehow. either i have missed
> something or there is some code missing. mh, probably the first one :)
>
> regards, peter
>

> ps: any news about the \string{\{} problem in mkiv?

Use \convertargument\{\to\ascii and \ascii.

Wolfgang

* Re: inclusion from image database broken (mkii+mkiv)
@ 2008-05-20 10:18   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-05-20 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster schrieb:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net> wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> when i try to include an image from one of my databases i get the
>> following error messages:
>>
>> mkii:
>>
>> !pdfTeX error: pdftex.exe (file ./lib/test-db.pdf): xpdf: reading PDF
>> image failed (0)
>>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>>

>> mkiv:
>>
>> !luaTeX error: xpdf: reading PDF image failed
>>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>>

>> i looked into the mkiv sources, but didn't succeed. the lua part (db
>> only) is clear to me, but i couldn't find the point in tex, where
>> \externalfigure is mapped to this somehow. either i have missed
>> something or there is some code missing. mh, probably the first one :)
>>
>> regards, peter
>>

>> ps: any news about the \string{\{} problem in mkiv?
>
> Use \convertargument\{\to\ascii and \ascii.

thank you wolfgang! will try that :)

@ 2008-05-20 13:01   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-05-20 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> when i try to include an image from one of my databases i get the
>> following error messages:
>>
>> mkii:
>>
>> !pdfTeX error: pdftex.exe (file ./lib/test-db.pdf): xpdf: reading PDF
>> image failed (0)
>>   ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> i dunno; if there's indeed a file in ./lib/test-db.pdf then it's an xpdf
> problem so maybe you need to preflight the file and see what's wrong
> with it

ok, checked; the database pdf is *valid*.

i even created a new database pdf that uses the default lm roman font...
brrrr, looks ugly and incredibly blows up the size (patched that 'back'
to adobe helvetica t1 from reader).
still same error for both marks. i donno either ;)

i can make a minimal example(<100kb), so you can look into it when you
have time. there are still problems with clipping in mkiv, but my first
try to create a breaking minimal failed. so far db problems and clipping
in mkiv are the only issues left (rest looks pretty good!).

regards, peter

* Re: inclusion from image database broken (mkii+mkiv)
@ 2008-05-20 14:26     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-05-20 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> i can make a minimal example(<100kb), so you can look into it when you
> have time. there are still problems with clipping in mkiv, but my first
> try to create a breaking minimal failed. so far db problems and clipping
> in mkiv are the only issues left (rest looks pretty good!).
ok , plus your tex code
(offlist)

--
luigi
it's new .

* Re: inclusion from image database broken (mkii+mkiv)
@ 2008-05-20 14:37       ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-05-20 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso schrieb:
>> i can make a minimal example(<100kb), so you can look into it when you
>> have time. there are still problems with clipping in mkiv, but my first
>> try to create a breaking minimal failed. so far db problems and clipping
>> in mkiv are the only issues left (rest looks pretty good!).
> ok , plus your tex code
> (offlist)

thanks luigi. no way to test it elsewhere :)

* Re: inclusion from image database broken (mkii+mkiv)
@ 2008-05-20 18:20         ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-05-20 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf schrieb:
> luigi scarso schrieb:
>>> i can make a minimal example(<100kb), so you can look into it when you
>>> have time. there are still problems with clipping in mkiv, but my first
>>> try to create a breaking minimal failed. so far db problems and clipping
>>> in mkiv are the only issues left (rest looks pretty good!).
>> ok , plus your tex code
>> (offlist)
>>
> thanks luigi. no way to test it elsewhere :)

first of all: *thanks to luigi* for testing and for using the 'right'
binary versions (which was the key) :)

now the news:
- pdftex 1.40.7 works fine with my test file. the only thing is, that it
complains about the wrong pdf version of the included db file.
..
pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file ./lib/test-db.pdf): PDF inclusion: found
PDF version <1.6>, but at most version <1.5> allowed

- luatex 0.25.3 doesn't break, but includes always the first image in
the database. if i remember it right this was a filter problem.

- pdftex 1.50alpha and
   luatex trunk (17.05.2008) fail with the described error

the latest official released versions of luatex and pdftex generate a
working pdf. both developement versions fail. i guess there is a bug in
the pdf inclusion routines, as this is all that is done in my test file.
if someone can tell me how i can pass the pdfminorversion as runtime
parameter, i can create a database in pdf1.4 and test it again with a
more 'compatible' pdf version. anyhow, i quit for today...

best wishes, peter