* bibl-apa.tex wrong?
@ 2008-05-26 21:52 Matej Barič
From: Matej Barič @ 2008-05-26 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,
This (http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citapa.htm) and
just about any other site I look at specifies publisher info as
"<city, state>: <publisher name>", whereas bibl-apa.tex specifies it
as "<publisher name>, <city, state>".
Why is the file called bibl-apa.tex if it doesn't follow APA rules? Am
I missing something
thanks,
Matej

* Re: bibl-apa.tex wrong?
@ 2008-05-27  6:36 ` Taco Hoekwater
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-05-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matej Baric( wrote:
> Hello,
> This (http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citapa.htm) and
> just about any other site I look at specifies publisher info as
> "<city, state>: <publisher name>", whereas bibl-apa.tex specifies it
> as "<publisher name>, <city, state>".
> Why is the file called bibl-apa.tex if it doesn't follow APA rules? Am
> I missing something

Originally (years ago already), I reverse-engineered apalike from
latex. It is quite possible I made a error there (or even that
apalike had it wrong) but if no-one reports a bug it is not noticed.

Also, I've had quite a few incorrect bug reports about the styles, so
I am no longer all that eager to change them at a single bug report.
Two questions: do you have a definitive source somewhere? and are
there any other problems you see in bibl-apa.tex?

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: bibl-apa.tex wrong?
@ 2008-05-27 14:05   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2008-05-27 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> This (http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citapa.htm) and
>> just about any other site I look at specifies publisher info as
>> "<city, state>: <publisher name>", whereas bibl-apa.tex specifies it
>> as "<publisher name>, <city, state>".
>>

> Also, I've had quite a few incorrect bug reports about the styles, so
> I am no longer all that eager to change them at a single bug report.
> Two questions: do you have a definitive source somewhere? and are
> there any other problems you see in bibl-apa.tex?

The definite source would be the APA style book (around 20 Euros).
However, for the @book question, one finds an example at
http://www.apastyle.org/tipweek100101.html

Which reads:

  Merriam-Webster's collegiate dictionary (10th ed.). (1993).
Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster.

Tobias

* Re: bibl-apa.tex wrong?
@ 2008-05-27 15:16   ` David
From: David @ 2008-05-27 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 May 2008 08:36:57 +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Matej Baric( wrote:
>> Hello,
>> This (http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citapa.htm) and
>> just about any other site I look at specifies publisher info as
>> "<city, state>: <publisher name>", whereas bibl-apa.tex specifies it
>> as "<publisher name>, <city, state>".
>> Why is the file called bibl-apa.tex if it doesn't follow APA rules? Am
>> I missing something
>
> Originally (years ago already), I reverse-engineered apalike from
> latex. It is quite possible I made a error there (or even that
> apalike had it wrong) but if no-one reports a bug it is not noticed.
>
> Also, I've had quite a few incorrect bug reports about the styles, so
> I am no longer all that eager to change them at a single bug report.
> Two questions: do you have a definitive source somewhere? and are
> there any other problems you see in bibl-apa.tex?

I've never used bibl-apa, but my wife has a copy of the official APA
style book. I will check this point (carefully!) today or tomorrow, and
respond again when I have the info.

David

* Re: bibl-apa.tex wrong?
@ 2008-05-27 17:36   ` David
From: David @ 2008-05-27 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 May 2008 08:36:57 +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Matej Baric( wrote:
>> Hello,
>> This (http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citapa.htm) and
>> just about any other site I look at specifies publisher info as
>> "<city, state>: <publisher name>", whereas bibl-apa.tex specifies it
>> as "<publisher name>, <city, state>".
>> Why is the file called bibl-apa.tex if it doesn't follow APA rules? Am
>> I missing something
>
> Originally (years ago already), I reverse-engineered apalike from
> latex. It is quite possible I made a error there (or even that
> apalike had it wrong) but if no-one reports a bug it is not noticed.
>
> Also, I've had quite a few incorrect bug reports about the styles, so
> I am no longer all that eager to change them at a single bug report.
> Two questions: do you have a definitive source somewhere? and are
> there any other problems you see in bibl-apa.tex?

The 5th edition of the APA Publication Manual is unambiguous on this
point. Section 4.14, page 230, states:

(note, I have transcribed their table of examples into plain text for
easier reading in email)

4.14 Publication Information: Nonperiodicals

(table of examples)

Location, ST: Publisher.   (example) Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum

Location, Province, Country: Publisher.   (example) Toronto, Ontario,
Canada: University of Toronto Press.

Location, Country: Publisher.   (example) Oxford, England: Basil
Blackwell.

Major City: Publisher.   (example) Amsterdam: Elsevier.

(end table of examples)

- Give the city and, if the city is not well known for publishing (see
section 4.03) or could be confused with another location, the state or
province (and/or country) where the publisher is located as noted on
the title page of the book. Use U.S. Postal Service abbreviations for
states (see Table 4.1). Use a colon after the location.

- If the publisher is a university and the name of the state or
province is included in the name of the university, do not repeat the
state or province in the publisher location.

- Give the name of the publisher in as brief a form as is intelligible.
Write out the names of associations, corporations, and university
presses, but omit superfluous terms, such as Publishers, Co., or INC.,
which are not required to identify the publisher. Retain the words
Books and Press.

- If two or more publisher locations are given, give the location
listed first in the book or, if specified, the location of the
publisher's home office.

- Finish the element with a period.

* Re: bibl-apa.tex wrong?
@ 2008-05-28  8:14     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-05-28  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

David wrote:

> The 5th edition of the APA Publication Manual is unambiguous on this
> point. Section 4.14, page 230, states:
>
> (note, I have transcribed their table of examples into plain text for
> easier reading in email)

Thanks a lot. I will wait a few days before releasing an updated
version, in case someone find more issues, but there will be a new
release about a week from now.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: bibl-apa.tex wrong?
@ 2008-06-12  8:51       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-06-12  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

For all of you out there that wnat to help set up the new bibl-apa.tex,
I have uploaded an experimental version of the bib module to the garden.

   http://modules.contextgarden.net/bib

It already has some improvements, but it is (probably) not done yet.
Corrections are welcome, either in tex source patches or as output
specifications for particular bbl entries.

Best wishes,
Taco

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> David wrote:
>>

>> The 5th edition of the APA Publication Manual is unambiguous on this
>> point. Section 4.14, page 230, states:
>>
>> (note, I have transcribed their table of examples into plain text for
>> easier reading in email)
>
> Thanks a lot. I will wait a few days before releasing an updated
> version, in case someone find more issues, but there will be a new
> release about a week from now.
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

* Re: bibl-apa.tex wrong?
@ 2008-05-27 11:44 Matej Barič
From: Matej Barič @ 2008-05-27 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Originally (years ago already), I reverse-engineered apalike from
> latex. It is quite possible I made a error there (or even that
> apalike had it wrong) but if no-one reports a bug it is not noticed.
> Also, I've had quite a few incorrect bug reports about the styles, so
> I am no longer all that eager to change them at a single bug report.
> Two questions: do you have a definitive source somewhere? and are
> there any other problems you see in bibl-apa.tex
I see... well I'd be glad to go through whole APA style recommendation
and test bibl-apa.tex, but I'm no expert and currently I am really
busy for a few next weeks.
I don't have a definitive source, but just about any source I have
seen (including Wikipedia and my faculty rules) says bibl-apa.tex is
wrong in that case.
As I've started using ConTeXT just a few days ago I couldn't have seen
any other problems so far but I will collect them if I find them and
do a little more research on them.
So for now don't bother, but sometime in future I will definitely
contact you again if I have some more things to fix.
Thanks,
matej