* Footnote numbers and leftmargin setup [mkIV]
@ 2010-05-03 12:11 Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2010-05-03 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

in mkII I use to set my left margins to 0pt. When I do this now in mkIV, I get misplaced footnote numbers (at the bottom).

Example:

\setuplayout
	[leftmargin=\zeropoint]

\starttext
just text\footnote{foot text}
\stoptext

To get correctly placed numbers I have to either set the leftmargin to >= 5pt, or leave out the leftmargin key in setuplayout.

Is this a bug or just the mkIV way?

Thomas

ConTeXt  ver: 2010.04.29 22:30 MKIV  fmt: 2010.4.30  int: english/english

* Re: Footnote numbers and leftmargin setup [mkIV]
@ 2010-05-03 12:20 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-05-03 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.05.10 14:11, schrieb Thomas Floeren:

> Hello,
>
> in mkII I use to set my left margins to 0pt. When I do this now in mkIV, I get misplaced footnote numbers (at the bottom).
>
> Example:
>
> \setuplayout
> 	[leftmargin=\zeropoint]
>
> \starttext
> just text\footnote{foot text}
> \stoptext
>

> To get correctly placed numbers I have to either set the leftmargin to>= 5pt, or leave out the leftmargin key in setuplayout.
>
> Is this a bug or just the mkIV way?

The code for footnotes in MkII and MkIV is different, while MkII use
it's own
code MkIV use enumerations for the notes (that's why you can use nearly all
options from enumerations) and the number is placed by default in the
left margin
but why do you set leftmargin to 0pt?

Wolfgang

* Re: Footnote numbers and leftmargin setup [mkIV]
@ 2010-05-03 13:23   ` Thomas Floeren
From: Thomas Floeren @ 2010-05-03 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster <mailto:schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote on Monday,
May 03, 2010 2:20 PM:

> Am 03.05.10 14:11, schrieb Thomas Floeren:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> in mkII I use to set my left margins to 0pt. When I do this now in
>> mkIV, I get misplaced footnote numbers (at the bottom).
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> \setuplayout
>> 	[leftmargin=\zeropoint]
>>
>> \starttext
>> just text\footnote{foot text}
>> \stoptext
>>

>> To get correctly placed numbers I have to either set the leftmargin
>> to>= 5pt, or leave out the leftmargin key in setuplayout.
>>
>> Is this a bug or just the mkIV way?
>>
> The code for footnotes in MkII and MkIV is different, while MkII use
> it's own
> code MkIV use enumerations for the notes (that's why you can use
> nearly all
> options from enumerations) and the number is placed by default in the
> left margin
> but why do you set leftmargin to 0pt?

If I don’t set the leftmargin, everything is messed up.

Try this with and without leftmargin setup key:

%--------------
\setuplayout
	[backspace=25mm,
	cutspace=15mm,
	topspace=10mm,
	header=\zeropoint,
	headerdistance=\zeropoint,
	bottomspace=10mm,
	footer=5mm,
	footerdistance=8mm,
	% leftmargin=\zeropoint,
	rightmargin=\zeropoint,
	height=fit,
	width=fit,
	location=middle]

\setupfooter [state=start,before=\hrule]
\setupfootertexts
	[nice text here]	[and here]

\starttext
\dorecurse{20}{just text }\footnote{foot text}
\page\null
\stoptext
%---------------

Without the leftmargin key, text and footer leave the page borders.

Guess I have to to change my way to setup the layout in mkIV(?)

Thomas

* Re: Footnote numbers and leftmargin setup [mkIV]
@ 2010-05-03 14:37     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-05-03 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.05.10 15:23, schrieb Thomas Floeren:
> Without the leftmargin key, text and footer leave the page borders.
>
> Guess I have to to change my way to setup the layout in mkIV(?)

There are a few things you should change:

1. Use 'middle' for the width and height keys in \setuplayout,

2. Place the rule above the footer in the text area,

3. Don't set the left and right margins to 0pt,

4. Instead of a rule before the footer you can use the background
    mechanism to draw the borders of the footer.

\setuplayout
   [backspace=25mm,
    cutspace=15mm,
    topspace=10mm,
    header=0pt,
    headerdistance=0pt,
    bottomspace=10mm,
    footer=5mm,
    footerdistance=8mm,
    height=middle,
    width=middle,
    location=middle]

\setupfooter[text][before=\hairline]
%\setupbackgrounds[footer][text][topframe=on]

\setupfootertexts[nice text here][and here]

\starttext
\dorecurse{20}{just text }\footnote{foot text}\page[dummy]
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Footnote numbers and leftmargin setup [mkIV]
@ 2010-05-03 14:51     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2010-05-03 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 May 2010, at 15:23, Thomas Floeren wrote:

> Wolfgang Schuster <mailto:schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote on Monday,
> May 03, 2010 2:20 PM:
>
>> Am 03.05.10 14:11, schrieb Thomas Floeren:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> in mkII I use to set my left margins to 0pt. When I do this now in
>>> mkIV, I get misplaced footnote numbers (at the bottom).
>>>
>>> Example:
>>>
>>> \setuplayout
>>> 	[leftmargin=\zeropoint]
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> just text\footnote{foot text}
>>> \stoptext
>>>

>>> To get correctly placed numbers I have to either set the leftmargin
>>> to>= 5pt, or leave out the leftmargin key in setuplayout.
>>>
>>> Is this a bug or just the mkIV way?
>>>
>> The code for footnotes in MkII and MkIV is different, while MkII use
>> it's own
>> code MkIV use enumerations for the notes (that's why you can use
>> nearly all
>> options from enumerations) and the number is placed by default in the
>> left margin
>> but why do you set leftmargin to 0pt?
>>

> If I don’t set the leftmargin, everything is messed up.
>
> Try this with and without leftmargin setup key:
>
> %--------------
> \setuplayout
> 	[backspace=25mm,
> 	cutspace=15mm,
> 	topspace=10mm,
> 	header=\zeropoint,
> 	headerdistance=\zeropoint,
> 	bottomspace=10mm,
> 	footer=5mm,
> 	footerdistance=8mm,
> 	% leftmargin=\zeropoint,
> 	rightmargin=\zeropoint,
> 	height=fit,
> 	width=fit,
> 	location=middle]
>

> \setupfooter [state=start,before=\hrule]
> \setupfootertexts
> 	[nice text here]	[and here]
>
> \starttext
> \dorecurse{20}{just text }\footnote{foot text}
> \page\null
> \stoptext
>
> Without the leftmargin key, text and footer leave the page borders.
>
> Guess I have to to change my way to setup the layout in mkIV(?)

Not really, the problem is, that you use conflicting keys. If you set the topspace, header, headerdistance, footer, footerdistance and the bottomspace then the height is already fixed. The same is applicable for the horizontal measures. I suggest to use the backspace to determine the left rim of the textarea, set the the width to an appropriate value if the left and right margin should be different in size, otherwise use width=middle which makes right and left margin identical i.e. as large as the backspace. The margins and margindistances which are setup in the setuplayout are sort of virtual and they are placed over the area defined by backspace and the rest of the paper right from the right rim of the textarea. This is the reason why marginareas can stick outside the paper.

Willi