* hyphenation question
@ 2008-06-25 10:18 Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-06-25 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In a document where

\mainlanguage[fr]

some words weren't hyphenated correctly
so I've put them in a hyphenation pattern

\hyphenation{
    ap-pa-ren-ce
    at-ten-dai-ent
    com-men-cent
    d'am-bi-tion
    d'in-flu-en-ce
    l'ap-pa-ren-ce
    }

The only ones who still don't get hyphenated
corresponding to the above pattern are those
with d'..., l'...

Porqué ?

Alan

* Re: hyphenation question
@ 2008-06-25 12:55 ` Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-06-25 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Alan Stone
<software.list.1es9s@gmail.com> wrote:
> In a document where
>
> \mainlanguage[fr]
>
> some words weren't hyphenated correctly
> so I've put them in a hyphenation pattern
>
> \hyphenation{
>    ap-pa-ren-ce
>    at-ten-dai-ent
>    com-men-cent
>    d'am-bi-tion
>    d'in-flu-en-ce
>    l'ap-pa-ren-ce
>    }

I remember reading that in correct french typo we are not supposed to
hypenate before the last « syllable ».
If you have no choice, having only two letter is realy « bad ».
Olivier.

--
[Message tapé sur un clavier Bépo : http://www.clavier-dvorak.org ]
Olivier nemolivier@gmail.com http://nemolivier.blogspot.com

* Re: hyphenation question
@ 2008-06-25 13:02   ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-06-25 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Will comply.

Thanks Olivier

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Olivier Guéry <nemolivier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Alan Stone
> <software.list.1es9s@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In a document where
>>
>> \mainlanguage[fr]
>>
>> some words weren't hyphenated correctly
>> so I've put them in a hyphenation pattern
>>
>> \hyphenation{
>>    ap-pa-ren-ce
>>    at-ten-dai-ent
>>    com-men-cent
>>    d'am-bi-tion
>>    d'in-flu-en-ce
>>    l'ap-pa-ren-ce
>>    }
>
> I remember reading that in correct french typo we are not supposed to
> hypenate before the last « syllable ».
> If you have no choice, having only two letter is realy « bad ».
> Olivier.

* Re: hyphenation question
@ 2008-06-25 13:14     ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-06-25 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmmm... that means there are a * lot * more words to add to the
hyphenation pattern declaration.

How do you instruct (Con)TeX(t) to "not hypenate before the last « syllable »" ?

Alan

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Alan Stone
<software.list.1es9s@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will comply.
>
> Thanks Olivier
>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Olivier Guéry <nemolivier@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I remember reading that in correct french typo we are not supposed to
>> hypenate before the last « syllable ».
>> If you have no choice, having only two letter is realy « bad ».
>> Olivier.

* Re: hyphenation question
@ 2008-06-25 14:02       ` Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-06-25 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

We realy need to work on a wiki page with all these french rules. Once
created I could ask some real typographist to help us (I hop they do
help us…).
Having the Artur's Rules for spacing would be a good start point.

Olivier.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Alan Stone

@ 2008-06-25 14:16 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-06-25 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
> In a document where
>
> \mainlanguage[fr]
>
> some words weren't hyphenated correctly
> so I've put them in a hyphenation pattern
>
> \hyphenation{
>     ap-pa-ren-ce
>     at-ten-dai-ent
>     com-men-cent
>     d'am-bi-tion
>     d'in-flu-en-ce
>     l'ap-pa-ren-ce
>     }
>
> The only ones who still don't get hyphenated
> corresponding to the above pattern are those
> with d'..., l'...

All characters taken into consideration for hyphenation
need to have a non-zero \lccode, which is generally not
true for ' (and for good reason, too!).  If you never
use ' as in ``see here'', you can set

   \lccode`\'=`\'

and after that, it should work (but untested).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: hyphenation question
@ 2008-06-26 10:29         ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-06-26 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

For your information...

http://www.talo.nl/talo/download/documents/Language_Book.pdf

There's a whole chapter on hyphenation rules for the European languages.

Best,
Alan

* Re: hyphenation question
@ 2008-06-26 12:20           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-06-26 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Alan Stone wrote:
> For your information...
>
> http://www.talo.nl/talo/download/documents/Language_Book.pdf
>
> There's a whole chapter on hyphenation rules for the European languages.

A magnificent reference!

At least for Slovenian it's using the deprecated language name,
mentioning the wrong set of special characters used, digraphs that
don't even exist, at two different places mentioning a different set
of digraphs, but neither exist (forgiving them the fact how horrible
these are represented graphically), giving examples of hyphenated
words that don't even exist in the language (not to say that they
cannot even be spoken out), listing a miserably incomplete set of
rules. Mentioning a reference that is not even included in the
References at the end of document.

Wow! I really wonder how they have managed to mix up all that. I hope
that they are not selling that to anyone.

Mojca

* Re: hyphenation question
@ 2008-06-26 13:14             ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-06-26 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh well, publishing is one of the ways some people like to brag about the
labels they stick to their name: http://www.talo.nl/talo/contact/index.html

For their information then, email: info@talo.nl ?  ;O)

Alan

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Mojca Miklavec <
mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Alan Stone wrote:
>> For your information...
>>
>> http://www.talo.nl/talo/download/documents/Language_Book.pdf
>>
>> There's a whole chapter on hyphenation rules for the European languages.
>
> A magnificent reference!
>
> At least for Slovenian it's using the deprecated language name,
> mentioning the wrong set of special characters used, digraphs that
> don't even exist, at two different places mentioning a different set
> of digraphs, but neither exist (forgiving them the fact how horrible
> these are represented graphically), giving examples of hyphenated
> words that don't even exist in the language (not to say that they
> cannot even be spoken out), listing a miserably incomplete set of
> rules. Mentioning a reference that is not even included in the
> References at the end of document.
>
> Wow! I really wonder how they have managed to mix up all that. I hope
> that they are not selling that to anyone.
>
> Mojca

* Re: hyphenation question
@ 2008-06-26 15:06           ` Charles P. Schaum
From: Charles P. Schaum @ 2008-06-26 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Unfortunately, these chaps haven't read their Duden Band 1, Die Deutsche
Rechtschreibung. I checked their examples against it and they are quite
in error at times. That makes it notoriously difficult to figure out the
proper from the improper.

So they theoretically could have a good product and asked someone to go
cheap on producing the PDF. Goodness knows, you wouldn't believe how
many PhD's put their names on stuff that their research beetles really
wrote. Still, it reflects poorly and hurts their business.

I'd say that if they don't have their act together, let the free market
sort it out. I can hyphenate all sorts of languages in Ubuntu just fine.

Charles